Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:43 AM

Has anyone fed Nature's Variety?

Just curious. I've been feeding Orijen (only 2lbs of samples but since I have Shih Tzus that actually goes a long way). Anyway, by the ingredient list I think I expected magic results, lol. Since that didn't happen, I decided until Orijen is available closeby I'll just feed a different food. I just moved and for the first time Nature's Variety is available near me. It's a food that I've always wanted to feed, but because of the lack of availability it wasn't very realistic. I'm interested to hear about other people's experiences with it. I hardly ever hear anyone talk about Nature's Variety, but then I haven't seen it available in very many petstores, so that could have a lot to do with it.

I was just now considering the cost differences between Nature's Variety Instinct and Orijen adult and they both came out to exactly $2.27 per lb. Crazy!
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Well it looks like no one here feeds Nature's Variety! lol Ahhh well, I'm going to give it a try and hopefully it'll work well for my guys. I also saw that they have a homestyle canned food coming soon and I'm really excited to try that.
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my cat the NV frozen raw medallions. He's not a big fan of their canned, although I sure wish he was because it's a great quality, grain-free, low phosphorus food. But ya, give the kibble a go and let us know how your shih tzus like it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I haven't tried feeding Nature's Variety, but after your post I looked up the website and their kibble seems very good. I think my dog might have some intolerance to chicken, so I like their options and that they're grain free. I've already got him on Solid Gold Barking at the moon and it seems to be going well, so I'll probably leave him on it for quite a while.....but I'll now end up rotating the NV duck & turkey in someday.
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Sugarcatmom- If I were to ever feed raw I have no doubt that it would be the Nature's Variety medallions. I have no faith in myself to balance a raw diet lol and I really like the ingredients in NV raw.

Mika- That's great that you'll be adding Nature's Variety to your rotation! They just now came out with the rabbit meal and duck meal & turkey grain free foods; it's only been the chicken one for the longest time. Unfortunately for me the two new formulas have brewer's yeast and one of my Tzus, Gingerbread, is extremely allergic to one and only one ingredient that I know of... brewer's yeast.

I'm reeeally picky about ingredients and Nature's Variety has always been at the top of my list of foods. Orijen is right up there in the top 3, but I think the montmorillonite clay in Nature's Variety is a really important ingredient. There's only one other food that I know of that has it (Nature's Logic, but it has brewer's yeast).

I'm planning to rotate the NV Prairie chicken & rice, lamb & oatmeal and beef & barley kibbles with the matching homestyle canned (when those come out). Assuming the first bag goes okay of course. So anyway, thanks to anyone that made it through this rambling late night post.

Last edited by luvntzus; September 14th, 2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, just saw this one now! Yes, I feed a mix of kibble and NV Raw. LOVE it! The results I've seen in skin and coat and muscle tone are AMAZING! I rotate between the proteins, but venison is a big favorite at my house. The freeze dried medallions are great for the occasional treat or when traveling as well.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have been trying to find a canned food for my extremely picky female feline and the only success I have had is Nature's Variety Instinct, canned Chicken flavour. She won't eat anything that has potatoes or sweet potatoes in it. Both my cats will eat the dry for snaking. She doesn't mind California Natural, but doesn't like it as much as Instinct. My male prefers everthing Wellness, Core, canned, Kitten.
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM

I just including NV Instinct into my rotation but havent actually fed it yet which is why I dont yet have an opinion on how my dogs do on it. Looking at the ingredient list though it is an awesome kibble!

Even the quietest whisper is louder than the loudest gunshot. When? When it speaks the TRUTH!