Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Angry Cat wont use litter box.

When we first got my cat, she used the litter box just fine. Lately however, she hasn't been using it. Instead she runs around like shes confused until she can't hold it any longer. Why does she do this?
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Your cat should see the vet so he can rule out a urinary tract infection.

Have one more litter box than you do cats and scoop it twice a day. Try changing litters. Make sure you don't leave clothing or anything on the floor. That always inspires my cats to pee on it.

Eh, cats are weird.
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree. Please take her to the vet for a check up. She very well may have a bladder infection, which is very painful and would certainly cause her to avoid the litterbox.

Any sudden or drastic changes in behavior always indicate a vet visit.
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM

If the vet check up shows nothing then look at the environment, has there been anything that has stressed your cat out lately? Is your cat peeing on items that belong specifically to you or someone else in your household?I had the same thing happen when I moved in with a friend, she had 2 young boys who brought friends over and they would run around and be, well, Boys.
Everytime my 7yr spayed female felt stressed or if I went to see my parents and only my roommate was there she would pee all over anything of mine...and only mine( the vet said this had something to do with feeling abondoned).
I took her to the vet asap to rule out UTI, but the vet said that it was simply stress or that she had a problem with me not being there, that's why she would pee on my stuff only. . She also started again when I moved from AB to ON. She peed on my stuff when we got to the new house. So I took my vets advice, I lavished more attention on her and gave her a calmer environment, and she hasn't had an accident in months.
I hope that what ever you try works!
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Litter

My mother had the same problem with her cat. Has your cat grown since you got her? Perhaps, if it's an enclosed litter box, she's outgrown it - cats can be claustrophobic too! Have you changed the type of litter you're using? Sometimes cats won't use the litter if you've changed to a different brand. Also, if you've moved it. Cats really don't like change. Persnickety animals. Maybe these ideas will help, but I agree if you haven't done any of these things, you should probably visit the vet. Take the cat with you.
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips. We were planning on getting another litter box so hopefully that helps. We are however taking her to the vet to get her checked out just in case. She seems to have a cold also. Hopefully everything is well!
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She seems to have a cold also.
Cats don't really get "colds", they get upper respiratory infections. It does sound as though there could be something stressing her.