Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Question Is this standard??

I am seriousely looking into a breeder who has 9 dogs, all the same breed who are expecting various times throughout this year. They are from champion lines and members of their breed clubs as well as AKC and CKC. They come with papers, health certificates and garuntees. I just want to double check as its better to be safe then sorry as they say
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you saying this person is going to have 9 litters on the ground in one year??? If so, I would qualify this as a puppymill.

"From champion lines" means absolutely nothing unless the actual dogs being bred are champions and there is no way someone has 9 titled champions under one roof.

Same for CKC/AKC registration. That means just about nothing too, except that the dogs' parents were of the same breed, purebred and registered. Has nothing to do with quality, as even puppymills can register puppies.
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:04 PM
banned user

How many are expecting? If more than two I would think this is a puppymill as well. Do they show their dogs themselves?
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:23 PM

In my opinion, no reputable breeder would have nine dogs with puppies in one year. That to me does not sound like a person trying to improve the lines...rather someone trying to make some cash.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Personal servant to Joey

We spoke to one breeder. She had one litter per month, she had adult dogs as well, which we inquired about but she said they were in Kennels all day and had no human contact. I guess at least she was honest. We told her our whole history with dogs she said we were inexperienced and would not give us an adult, but said we were more suitable for a puppy and tried to sell us one over the phone. Needless to say we said no thanks!
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Here's what I have learned about reputable breeders:

- they always have a waiting list
- they also show their dogs and normally breed titled dogs
- the dam is always on site, the sire may not be, but they will have all of the sire's information and pictures of him as well.
- they only ever have 1 or 2 litters every year or two
- their females are only bred after the age of 2 and only every 2 years after that, not every year
- they normally only have one or two breeds and never more

Reputable breeders usually take time off work to be home during the delivery and for a few days (at least) after just in case there are any complications. Raising a litter properly takes a lot of time and effort on the breeder's part.

If this breeder is expecting 9 litters in one year, it makes me suspicious that they are in it for the money. It also makes me suspicious that they are breeding their females too frequently and that they are not spending the time necessary in raising the puppies properly with human interaction.

Are these breeder's dogs in kennels or in the home? Are the puppies born and raised in the home or in a kennel?
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree with all advice given. Better be safe than sorry.
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I would also reccomend talking to Bichon rescue if you can, even if you don't end up with a rescue bichon they may be helpful in pointing you the right way. There is usually contacts etc that can help you in your search for a breeder. We find the breed specific rescue for the breed we are getting to be very helpful. So far we have narrowed it down to two breeders, both of whom were reccomended by all the people involved in rescue that we spoke to. Rescue people have also given us names of people to talk to, that arent neccesarily breeders, but are involved with the breed in some way, whether its judging, showing, fostercare or even exbreeders. I found these people to be very helpful as they have an unbiased opinion and they will usually give you honest answers, they have warned us against breeders that we may have made a mistake getting one of their puppies and told us of ones that have good reputations.
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:05 AM

There is a Golden Breeder here in Ontario that has MANY dogs that breed throughout the year. They produce the most beautiful dogs around. My adopted girl is from there and we believe she was puppy number 56, don't know which month. Their dogs are all Champions in one way or another and very beautiful show dogs etc. I would never purchase a dog from there, as I call it a Glorified Puppy Mill, however, other people have different opinions. They have a huge kennel area where the dogs stay and I just don't like it. As long as people keep buying from these people, they will keep popping out Champions and be proud of it.