Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Kim,glad to hear Tangie is doing so well,my Rocky too is ok,had kind of a greasy fur for a while,with a couple of matts but it's nice and soft again.
I am taking Rocky for an appointment at the vet on Monday,I think he might be getting too much meds at 2X5mg daily,so we'll see.
Also his eyes have this grayish shadow in the corners,so I am worried about eventual blindness,but I am probably over-reacting,as usual.
Tangie looks her beautiful self in the pic
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Awww Tangie is so purrrrty Thanks for the pic Kim , it's nice to see she is doing so well

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Thought I would update on Mr. Killmo. He's doing great on the tapazole! Very few side effects..in fact really none. He's had a couple bouts of nausea but just a couple and he is now on his second month of the meds. He's gained 1/2lb per his Vet followup last week. Still waiting on the blood work.

I've discussed the radio-iodine rx with the Vet briefly but will have a more significant discussion about this in the near future. I'm leaning towards this for January when I know I will be home for the period needed to deal with the aftercare. I've already gotten my sister to agree to take in Ms Jezziebell for a couple weeks when the time comes.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Great update it's excellent when there are no side effects. for the weight gain that's a sign it's starting to come under control better

for the bloodwork, let us know how it turns out

Old July 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM

Well I certainly got one big surprise today when the Vet called with killmo's lab results. The 5mg of tapazole a day has resulted in his hyperT values just plummeting big time. His T4 dropped from 3.4 to .3 and his free T4 has dropped from 71 to 7! The Vet recommended cutting the dose to 2.5mg once a day and will retest in 6 weeks. If the T values continue to be low he will just take him off the meds and retest in 6 mos. The Vet also wants a urinalysis to r/o early CRF which I am in full agreement with and will have that done in 6 weeks.
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM

You know, I rather suspect killmo will be taken off the meds. My poor boy has had alot of stressors in the past 9 months but those stressors are now gone. He lost his sister unexpectedly and went through a significant grieving process and then the stressor of introducing a new cat occurred in March. My intuition tells me that the HyperT values were caused by stress and I think now that things are pretty normal and happy around here that the Thyroid might just stabilize itself.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM

killmo great T results for the kidney test. Losing a lifelong companion affects our pets more than most people realize, my first Homeopath vet said the loss of Duffy's furry companions and then moving was the likely cause of Duffy's HyperT