Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 15th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Puppy help!

My "little darling" Tiny is now roughly about 6 1/2 weeks old. I took her for her shots and all that great stuff.... but now I need to know how to make her stop destroying my house!! She has PLENTY of toys of her own but she wants to try to take garbage out of the lil can in the bathroom, she loves to steal socks and chew tiny little holes in them, really likes to try to steal my kid's snacks. She attacks my 3 month old's bouncing chair. She is going crazy and I need to know what I can do to help her learn this is not ok! She is still so small, I say no and she listens for all of about 10 seconds, she runs away or looks at me all innocent like and then BAM! She's doing the same thing I just told her no about! One other question, I was in the process of house training her and then out of nowhere the temp dropped back down to the 30's at night and 50's during the day, which is WAY too cold for her, what is the best alternative since I can't take her out and do NOT want her using my carpet as her personal restroom!
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:11 PM
banned user

With a puppy that young and small you should keep her confined to a bathroom or kitchen (taking up garbage cans of course) and I've read people on here use those puppy pee pads for very small pups. Also keeping her confined she'd be limited as to what she can get into, if anything in those types of rooms. If you're having that many probs with her, I wouldn't give her the run of the house.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

6 1/2 weeks is a tiny baby and can't learn much at that age. She's not going crazy, she is a puppy and this is what puppies do - get into everything.

You need to get her a little puppy x-pen, where she can play and chew her toys safely. Letting such a small baby run around the house is dangerous.

If you wish you can also litterbox train her or teach her to use those weewee pads since you cannot take her outside.

HEre is an example of the type of pen I mean.

You could get a smaller one of course.
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks for your advice. I'll look into getting her a pen or something. I just don't like the idea of locking her in a bathroom or anywhere else for that matter. I know it's not cruel but I just don't like "confining" anything. I'm sure it would be to her benefit and mine to do that but we will see. She is not out at all times, when my kids get home from school we do put her in her crate because I don't want them coming in all hyper and step on her. After a little while, a few hours, she begans to pout and make all sorts of noises until we let her out. I know she is very small and I am concerned for her getting hurt, I was just trying to find another way other than locking her in a room. But thanks for the suggestions!
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there!!

It's been my experience that if you don't give her "her house"(pen) that she will take YOURS!!! not to mention that she could chew something dangerous. Puppy proofing can be exhausting, the bigger area she has run of, the more margin for "oops"

By the way, she's young to be seperated from her litter?? 6 weeks? I would research integration and socialization for her (what the mother dog would still be doing)....don't mean to pry, just wish someone had told me that for my dog.
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Twinmommy....

I agree with you! She is too young, but the "woman" who had her was going to throw the puppies in the dumpster , so myself and others went to her and got the puppies. So, I would rather see her too young to be away from her mother and alive, than in a dumpster dead somewhere ya know?
I never thought about the fact that she is missing things her mother would be teaching her, I was more concerned with her just not having the milk from her mother. I will certainly take that into consideration now and see what I can do to help her! Thanks!
I don't want her to take over my house!! So I have to do something, I will take in all the advice I have been given and go from there.
I am happy to say she was taken to the vet and given her shots and a little check up and she's going great! She's getting bigger, little by little!
I know she's just a baby, I myself have a 3 month old and she's a handful as well. I am concerned about her getting into something she isn't suppose to, so I surely have to do something ASAP! She's just so funny because she knows when she's done something wrong, she just looks up with those big ole chi eye's and tilts her head over. As if she's saying how can you look at this face and say NO! I know she's not trying to be "bad" she's just exploring her new surroundings.
Thanks again for all the advice!!!
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

My mom has a little chi, a yorkie, a standard poodle and a greyhound. Little Mikey (the chi) has a kitchen all to himself when mom is too busy to keep a close eye on him. Her kitchen is surrounded by the dining room/living room with no inside walls, so he is never "alone". While he is housebroken, a housebreaking pad is always available to him in case she can't get him out in time.

I can't even imagine giving something that tiny access to the whole house. Don't they ever get lost?
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:12 AM

I've never lost her... She always comes when you call her or squeak her toys. Usually all you have to do is call her in that high pitch baby voice and she comes running down the hall. The only time I have been really worried was when I called and she was asleep and didn't come running right away. I did break out the ole baby gate my 4 yr old had and put her in the kitchen to try it out. She seemed to like it alright. Especially once dinner was cooked and the kitchen was all nice and warm. I think I will continue with that spot of the house, especially while we're at work and school.
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

awww

Quote:
I know she's just a baby, I myself have a 3 month old and she's a handful as well
GOd luv ya!! Thank god this little pup found you!! It must be like having two babies though!!! (((hug)))) thank you for saving this little soul when it is really not the ideal time for you...

Any pics??
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM

This is the only one I have developed right now, this was her in the middle of Christmas presents, she stole the ball to one of my 4 yr old's games and took off!
Attached Images

Old January 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Paco is one pudgy pup...
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the pic!! He's soooo adorable!! Couldn't ya just eat him up??? :love:
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:43 PM

pudgy is always better than boney, right?
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

At this age, Paco is barely able to know he has to go, let alone hold it to go in the right spot. Confining him in a small area will not only protect him and keep him out of trouble, but it will also make it possible for him to succeed with training. Cute name. I've got a little guy I need to name right now (I'll start a new thread) and I might just borrow it if something more suitable doesn't come to mind. Hopefully I won't need it for more than a couple days!