Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:14 AM

Looking for a terrific doggy daycare...

Relocating to Toronto in about a month with my pack of pugs (and a Frenchie) and am looking for a terrific doggy daycare, somewhere the gang can be happy and safe while I'm at work. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Where in Toronto are you moving to? Urban Dog downtown is really good. Avoid Petopia like a plague, despite all their pretty pictures.
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
Where in Toronto are you moving to? Urban Dog downtown is really good. Avoid Petopia like a plague, despite all their pretty pictures.
I still don't know what area I'll be living in (don't know the city but have the people who hired me looking). I assume I'll be somewhere close to the downtown area. Will be working at Cinespace Studios (Lakeshore and Booth).

I had someone recommend me Petopia and, you're right, the site looks great. Did you or someone you know have a bad experience there? Would appreciate any information you can provide.
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronDestructo View Post
I still don't know what area I'll be living in (don't know the city but have the people who hired me looking). I assume I'll be somewhere close to the downtown area. Will be working at Cinespace Studios (Lakeshore and Booth).

I had someone recommend me Petopia and, you're right, the site looks great. Did you or someone you know have a bad experience there? Would appreciate any information you can provide.
I know people who do and have worked there who are always in disbelief that people continue to bring their dogs there as in their opinion the standard of care is too low, I have also visited the place myself. I think they are very poorly run, having 60 some dogs crammed into one room with one person "supervising" is the norm for them. I have also been told that their small dog room has no person in there for supervision, just a camera. People who work there tell me they are often breaking up fights as the dogs are not screened sufficiently. They are over worked, over whelmed, and complaints to management are often ignored. They care more about just signing up dogs and getting a payment from the owner. I know people who have taken their dogs there and came back very unhappy with the service for a multitude of reasons. You can search on Google as some of them have posted their issues on online forums. TorontoDogs.com has a discussion forum and there is a thread about Petopia there in the going away section. They are a puppy mill of dog care and I believe they put profits ahead of actually providing a quality environment and care. They spend ridiculous amounts of money on their marketing campaigns, advertise any where possible, sponsor any dog related even possible, so they always have a steady supply of new people coming in. Too bad they don't put the same level of financing or effort into properly staffing their facility or even training their employees.

By all means, don't take my word for it. When you're in town, go down there and ask to tour the facility and ask in details about how the dogs are cared for, then make your own decision.
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
By all means, don't take my word for it. When you're in town, go down there and ask to tour the facility and ask in details about how the dogs are cared for, then make your own decision.
No, your word, the reviews I've since read, and a personal account from a former employee is enough. Thanks. I think I'll take the gang to UrbanDog instead. Heard good things about them?
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Well, looks like UrbanDog is out as I'll be working west of the city around Etobicoke. Anyone have an opinion on any of the following:

Home Buddies
Power Dogs
Doggy Playland Inc.
Barks'n Wags
It's a Dog's Life
The Dog Lounge

Thanks in advance
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Avoid Petopia Doggy Care!!!!

Quote:
yeah, definitely don't go to Petopia, i worked there in the past, really poor condition and staff to dog ratio is like 1 to 20.. dogs are always getting injured from fighting and a few deaths on occasion.. 'supposedly' natural causes... so you decide

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 17th, 2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Edited for slander, pls review board rules