Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM

How to deal with seperation anxiety in a cat??

Hi all--

I know Im probably jumping the gun here but I want to make sure I do everything possible so the same thing does not happen again!

Alittle history first: Last September I was out of town for about 4 days with my sister checking on the cats every day. Well, when I returned Panda needed to go to the vet because of major constipation issues and ended up staying the night at the vet. Well, at the same time Janie stopped eating and in turn lost 25% of her body weight diagnosed with fatty liver and so on. She was on the brink of death but a feeding tube saved her and she is now a healthy 8 lbs.

Sooo, the vet and I both thought that my being gone and Panda overnight in the hospital perpetuated her not eating and therefore all the other problems.

To get to the point though Im going on a week vacation to NYC at the end of June. Obviously I can't take her with me but I dont want to have the same thing happen. I was considering not going but it really is a chance of a lifetime and I cant put myself on house arrest So, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to easy her anxiety while Im gone?? Has anyone else gone through something like this and found a way to work it out??

PS: I live alone too so there is no one to stay with her during this time, my sister will be checking on them but she can't just stay there because she has a family of her own. I was thinking about taking Janie to my sister's house for the week but she has a puppy black lab who Im sure would scare the **** outta Janie and make it even worse

Thanks for any advice,

Becki
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Becki my advice would be to leave them home. I did this once and I would nver do it again. I thought for years my cats would like being at my moms house and one year I finally decided when we went away they would go there! Well they hated every minute of it...hid under her bed for 3 days and were really not at all happy. So I have to say leaving them in the environment they are used to is the best thing. try leaving a radio on low and some lights on and if your sister could check on them and feed them that in my opinion would be best.

The other thing too is when we go away the cats see us packing and getting things ready and they know whats going on. Perhaps pack a little bit each day or so until your all set and then when you leave dont make it any different then you would if you were going to work!

Good Luck! and dont pass on the trip!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Maybe the other occasion was a double whammee--with you gone AND her kitty pal gone too. This time around, she'll have her kitty pal with her, so she'll have company at home.

I know dogs love to have something of you to snuggle up to with alot of your scent on it, like pj's you've slept in all week--the more scent of you, the better. I don't know if that works for cats, though.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the advise girls!! I like the idea of having a radio on and leaving behind some clothes for them to snuggle in.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Catlover2

Cats always do better in their own environment if owner has to go away. It's better if you have a cat sitter come into your home, better yet if it's a willing neighbour who loves your cats and the cats know. I wouldn't have a relative who is busy with a young family. A 'professional' cat sitter is an alternate choice; some are better than others. Some do dogs and other pets as well. I've had a pet sitter who'd spent less than 10 mins. (I have a nosy neighbour who actually reported to me the time they spent. I didn't use their service again.)

Another sitter I had was a retired lady who absolutely adored cats and spent up to an hour with them each time, petting them, playing with them and letting them sit in her lap. Have the sitter come beforehand and see how the cats interact with the sitter. Usually cats relate better to person of same sex as owner.

Gets your cats into a rountine before you go away. Don't free feed them by leaving out food (I never do anyway), but feed them separately. Have the sitter come in am & early evening to feed them and clean litter boxes. This way sitter will know who is eating and who isn't and whether cats are constipated or not peeing enough. Usually, cats eat less when owner is away. Have a list of what & how much each cat eats, vet information and telephone number to call you in case of a problem, and do call the sitter and check each day to see how they're doing. Have a radio on playing softly, and leave out some Tshirts that have your scent on---this works for cats as it does for dogs and will comfort them.

Do take the trip to NYC and enjoy yourself knowing that Panda & Janie are being well cared for.