Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM

Cone Head - alternatives?

Leo, my 5 year old rescued coonhound was neutered on Friday, and was doing great until yesterday when I found that he had chewed out his stitches and had opened up his incision - not bleeding, but requiring immediate attention. We went to the vet and Leo got fitted with his very own Cone collar - which he hates. I'm wondering - is there any foul tasting type of stuff I can buy to put on/around his incision to keep him from licking/chewing it, instead of torturing him with this cone? I'm thinking of trying that stuff you can buy and paint on your fingernails - it tastes bad and helps break the habit of nail biting. Anyone tried that, or something similar, to dissuade him from chewing on his cut? I don't want it to sting hit cut, obviously.
Attached Images

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Molly's mama

aww look how sad he looks!!
I have heard of something that is like a puffy ring that goes around their neck. I did a quick Google and found this
http://www.bonafido.com/page6.html
not sure where you could get one though. If you were crafty you might be able to make one?
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I like these "no-bite" collars instead of the cone: http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/nobite/index.htm

As for stuff to put on the incision, maybe ask your vet. I know when my cat had a feeding tube and kept licking the insertion site, my vet put some kind of cream on it that tasted NASTY. I have no idea what the cream was called or if it was even intended for that purpose, but it sure did the job. My cat doesn't do cones.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Geek Club CEO

I wouldn't put anything foul-tasting near or on an incision...it's only going to sting. The alternate "cone" (collar-style cone) would probably be your best bet. If you can supervise and have him on leash while you're home to prevent the licking, you can give him a break from the cone.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM
-

I also would ask your vet before putting anything on the incision. The No Bite collar that SCM suggested are your best bet or perhaps you can get a human cervical collar and make adjustments.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM

ahoy

Thanks everyone - from your suggestions, I managed to find an inflatable donut at Petco that is doing the trick AND has made Leo much happier than he was with that stupid cone on his head. See below. Hee hee. And, I think it will double as a life preserver in a pinch!
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Cone versus No Cone Collar (No Bite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I like these "no-bite" collars instead of the cone: http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/nobite/index.htm

As for stuff to put on the incision, maybe ask your vet. I know when my cat had a feeding tube and kept licking the insertion site, my vet put some kind of cream on it that tasted NASTY. I have no idea what the cream was called or if it was even intended for that purpose, but it sure did the job. My cat doesn't do cones.
MY doggie had to have three knee operations and when we put the regular cone collar on his he was terrified. It was so big he kept hitting walls, furniture, he felt he couldn't lay down, the collar was having a negative impact on his surgery. We changed to this No Cone collar and it was a huge relief for him. Of course he was still uncomfortable but at least he was able to lay down and could walk around without hitting something and throwing himself off balance. I recommend it to anyone I hear whose dog is having any type of surgery and will need to wear a collar.
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Investigative researcher

Petsmart carries them::

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3185093