Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Albert's mommy

Unhappy Just diagnosed with Kidney Failure! :(

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while, and this forum has always been so informative and supportive..I really need some again!
Quick history, I'm a doggie mommy to Albert, a jack russell mix rescued from a shelter about a year and a half ago. During his scheduled vet visit a few months back, we got a more thorough idea of his age (6 1/2) and the vet recommended a 'wellness check' which is basically a full blood panel along with heartworm test. I thought 'sure, may as well'. Not thinking anything bad could come up.
2 weeks ago I started fostering an adorable young daushund (sp?) mix. Albert, while not aggressive, just doesn't care much for other dogs, but I wanted to help this pup from being euthanized and brought him in..he's perfectly healthy, not even kennel cough and It's only for a few weeks longer..So Al has acted a little down lately, but he also did it a few months back when I first fostered another little guy for a few weeks..so I chalked it up to jealousy.
Well, the results are in..He's in acute renal failure...With nitrogen and creatinine levels DOUBLE what they should be.
He hasn't shown any symptoms really, short of acting a little down!! I feel terrible of course...and am just kicking myself over and over again..running through how I care for him...what did I do wrong? For the last 8 months or so, he's had to stay home about 11 hours without a potty break..he's adjusted just fine or so I thought. He gets thorough walks before and after I get home... Could this have been the cause?? Dog walkers just got so expensive! :sad:

Of course I took him in right away for further tests..a urinalysis..I'm dying here 24 hours later waiting on results..which may not come until tomorrow. I've been crying my eyes out since. He is my life ( I know you guys can understand!) I've had him less than two years but I feel like I've known him my entire life..He just licks my tears and wags his tail and I just keep thinking my pup must be in so much pain and won't even show it. UGH!! I just need some positive words please...anyone that has gone through this....I know I can't do anything until I have the full results in front of me...I just feel so helpless!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
FYI...I do not feed him any of the food that's been on that giant food recall list lately..so I don't think that had anything to do with it.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. That's just terrible and unexpected. :sad:

What do you feed him? The recall list just grew and grew...
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Again I have to say have him checked for cushings syndrome
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM

dont give up just yet.. and have him checked thoroughly as others have mentioned.. here is one, just one of many good links for you to look at

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#protein
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Live well, laugh often

Sending some good vibes your way . Hope the urinalysis results are better for you .
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Albert's mommy

Thanks for the replies!!

Well, I just checked in with the vets office and yes the results are in..but I need to speak to the vet..so more waiting. UGH!

Interesting about Cushing's disease, I researched online and it could be a possibility. I've always been worried about his weight, he gained fairly quickly once we got him but I chalked it up to good healthy living!! But I don't stuff his face or give him excessive treats, so I switched his food to low calorie and that kept his weight at bay. But he could still stand to lose a good 5 lbs. He's gained another 2 in the last few months..and he is looking a little bloated.

As soon as the vet calls I will bring it up. Thanks guys!

As far as his food, I have him on Wellness Weight Mgmt (kibble)which was never on the list...he gets a spoonfull of Pedigree canned ( I know it's crap, but he won't touch his kibble without it!!) which was never on the list either. Obviously I've kept him away from raisins, grapes, chocolate, etc. He never steals food. He'll do the cute begging face whenever you eat (what dog doesn't?) but will not touch any food that isn't offered to him.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
-

I have a friend who's dog is in renal failure. You have to look for a food with very low protein, which you can buy from the vet (her dog will not eat it, but many dogs will). He is also on medication. Even though he is 15, it isn't getting any worse. Since he will not touch the food from the vet, she is feeding him one of the Wellness diets with the least amount of protein.