Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Question kidney diease???

How can I tell if my cats have kidney disease? My cats are 9 and 11 years old. I adopted them 1 1/2 months ago so I don't know if they have any strange behaviours. I do know they drink a lot of water and also pee alot. The mother stays the same weight as I adopted her 1 1/2 months ago and the daughter gains 1 pound. Also, the mother is 9.5ibs and the daughter is 11lbs. Are they overweight? They seem to have some lose skin around their belly. Is that normal?
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

The cats you adopted are 9 and 11?? Wow, that's fantastic! Now I see why they are so stressed.

Kidney disease is rather common in cats as they age. But other things can cause the drinking. Diabetes is one. A blood test will show if they have either of these problems, or anything else like thyroid dysfunction.

11 lbs may be a bit heavy for a female cat but it depends on their overall build and size too.

The hanging skin is normal in older cats who have been spayed and neutered.
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,since I had one cat die of kidney-desease,a long time ago my vet gave me some sort of paste to put in the wet food,it worked wonders on Sammy,another cat I had with the beginning stages of kidneyproblems.
I am taking Rocky for his vax this month and I am going to ask her about it,it's also good for preventing kidney-problems if you have a cat not drinking much.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Can high tempature cause the drinking? We had a few really hot days (around 27 to 32 degrees and my houses faces the sun from afternoon till sunset), could this cause the drinking? They seem to have drink less after the heat wave is gone. Should I still bring them to the vet for blood test?
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM

My cat is 12lbs but isn't fat at all, she's just a very big cat. Everyone who sees her says that she is huge. The vet will be able to tell you if your cats are over weight for their body size. When mitty stretches out she takes up over half the width or our queen size bed...
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Cat with bad kidneys

I also have a 7 year old cat with kidney disease. As he gets older, he eats less and looses more weight. I wouldn't be surprised if your cats are just getting older, although 30% of older cats get kidney disease (or so I'm told) 9 and 11 are great for your cats!
Good luck!
Cassie
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,I can see you are really worried about your cats,but don't look for trouble if there really isn't any,it only makes the vet happy
I know preventative measures are important,in the form of good food etc...
and at any signs of illness,take your cats to the vet,but don't get paranoid,I know it happens easy because we love our cats
My 8yr old Rocky just had a seniors test,bloodwork and other things and he tested ok.My other two cats are 2yrs and 6 yrs.
I regularly check and make sure they are peeing ok,check for loose stools etc...even dioreah(SP?) they get on occasion depending on what they eat,just like we humans do,but if it happens often it is a reason to worry and see the vet.
I do love the concern you have for your rescued kitties,but don't lug them to the vet every time they sneeze
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM

I guess you are right. I will try not to be so paranoid next time. It's just that the first cat I adopted from SPCA (she was 8 years old) died after 2 1/2 months from advanced kidney failure. The vet said she must have it for at least 1 year to be that advanced. The first vet I took her to said she was very healthy even though she was breathing weird and really really skinny. When she had trouble breathing I took her to another vet (don't trust the first one) and the vet said she was sufferring so much that even if Meow Moew was her cat she would euthanize it. I was so sad. Meow Meow always groom me in the morning and sit on the back of the sofa while I watch tv. Whenever I sit on the floor, she came and rub her body against mine. It was horrible to see the cat you love so much to suffer so horribly and then had to put her down. I don't think I can stand if these 2 cats die on me too.
As for the food, I follow your advance and bought Nutro Max Senior cat. I am giving them 1/4 of the new food with 3/4 of the old brand today. It seems like they enjoy the new brand much better than the old one. Thanks a lot guys.