Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:11 PM

Exclamation new puppy groweling and snapping

We adopted a 6mo old puppy from the shelter who was very ill the day after we got her. It ended up being parvo but she got treated and now is back with us. She now has Kennel cough and is being treated. She was excellent with my kids but today she started to growl at them and snapped. It scared me and them. We love her already but this behaviour can cause her to get a new home. I can't take her to obedience school for three weeks due to her contagious kennel cough. I also can not take the chance that she may bite one of my little girls. They are very gentle with her but she has bonded to me and will not pay them any attention. She is almost skiddish around them. Since the incident I have ignored her and let the girls feed and pet her. I don;t want her to think she is #1 in the pack. I think she has only been around adullts her entire life and the children scare her. I have tried to get the kids calmed down but they are little kids and make fast movements. Please, if anyone can give me advise on how to handle this I am desparate. I am so scared tomorrow she may bite one of them. I think we can nip this but what do you all think?? Thanks!
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM

all I can offer is time and patience poor pup
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like puppy and kids all need some training together. What kind of puppy? Pictures?
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM

She is getting better. We just had Hurricane Ivan go through so all the animals were very anxious. She groweled one time after we made her go outside and do her potty. I am sure that stressed her out. We are not sure what she is but we are pretty sure some type of Terrier Mix. A few freinds think Rat Terrier. I tried to attach a picture but for some reason I am too dumb to figure out how to make the file small enough to be accepted.