Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old October 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Location: I am from Glasgow, Scotland, but now live on the West Coast of Scotland.
Glen Etive and Glencoe, Scotland

My friend took both Loki and I yesterday up north yesterday, to Glen Etive and Glencoe. It was a lovely day (first one we have had for ages) and it there was a wee fall of snow - it was lovely seeing the mountains with their snow "hats" on top of them Hope you like.

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2835.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2687.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2697.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2823.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2686.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2676.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2711.jpg

Hope no one minds that I put the links altogether on the one thread.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Great pictures Brandykins!!! It looks very peaceful...
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your pics are beautiful, brandykins. I would just love to hike that area, so peaceful.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Location: I am from Glasgow, Scotland, but now live on the West Coast of Scotland.
Aw many thanks, SIL, my friend is great at taking pics and he certainly captured our Scottish mountains

Again, many thanks
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Many thanks, Love4Himies My friend took all those pics. It is a very peaceful place and there are lots of tourists who go there on camping trips and in camper vans. It is much quieter at this time of year and yesterday was a really lovely day - made a lovely change to our summer weather, which has been a total wash out, with the exception of a few days!! It was snowing very slightly yesterday and the mountains look great with the snow hats on! !

Again, many thanks

Take care.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Wow, gorgeous scenery! I wish I could just jump on over there and enjoy the view
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Simply GORGEOUS.

My BIL was born in Scotland.Came to Canada when he was 13.Their Tartan is of the Buchanan.Mum was from England and Dad Scotland.Great combo eh.LOL

My daughter wants to go there so very bad.She is so into the Scottish heritage.And she isn't even Scottish.LOL...I guess it has to do with growing up and being around my BIL and his family.

Where my sister lives it's very "Scottish"...We go to the Scottish Festival that they have there every year in the summer.They have a lone piper on top of the lighthouse.And they have the battle of the bands there also.

I soooo love listening to the pipers and drummers.

My nephew is getting married in July.The little ones will be wearing kilts.Something I can't wait to see.They are going to have a piper also.

Now I have a question for you Brandykins.Is there a "wedding" song that the Scotts have?If so,do you know of any?..This way I can pass it on to my sister.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Ah Bonnie Scotland - it is lovely when the weather is good but this year it hasn't been very good during our summer!! We've had more rain fall than in winter!! The scenery is beautiful though and the lochs are so picturesque!! My friend captured the mountains right down to a T in his pics!

Hope you make it over one day!!

Many thanks

Take care.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Simply GORGEOUS.

My BIL was born in Scotland.Came to Canada when he was 13.Their Tartan is of the Buchanan.Mum was from England and Dad Scotland.Great combo eh.LOL

My daughter wants to go there so very bad.She is so into the Scottish heritage.And she isn't even Scottish.LOL...I guess it has to do with growing up and being around my BIL and his family.

Where my sister lives it's very "Scottish"...We go to the Scottish Festival that they have there every year in the summer.They have a lone piper on top of the lighthouse.And they have the battle of the bands there also.

I soooo love listening to the pipers and drummers.

My nephew is getting married in July.The little ones will be wearing kilts.Something I can't wait to see.They are going to have a piper also.

Now I have a question for you Brandykins.Is there a "wedding" song that the Scotts have?If so,do you know of any?..This way I can pass it on to my sister.

Hello Mona I think when people emigrate from Scotland they become more Scottish than the Scots!! My Aunt (my Dad's sister) went over to Canada but never lost her Glasgow accent and one of her son's even spoke with it, although he had never been here!! Her other son, who lived in Hamilton, had a Canadian accent, their dad was English and he never lost his accent either!! All sadly dead now, except of one of the son's wives, who still lives in Toronto!! I am a "lowlander" so am not very "kilty" minded!! We don't see many men wearing the kilt, except for weddings, as it is the "fashion" for grooms and men at weddings to wear the kilt!

As far as traditional Scottish wedding songs, I only know of one and that is "Mhari's Wedding Song" (Marie's wedding song in English). The woman it was written for by her uncle, Marie C McNiven lived opposite me in Govan Glasgow, her husband was a Campbell and a sea captain. She sung for the BBC in Glasgow and I can vaguely remember hearing her sing on the wireless, singing that song but in Gaelic! Here are the words of the song in English-

Mhàiri's Wedding

Over hillways up and down

Myrtle green and bracken brown,
Past the shieling through the town
All for sake of Mhàiri.
Chorus:

Step me gaily, off we go
Heel for heel and toe for toe,
Arm in arm and off we go
All for Mhàiri's wedding.
Plenty herring, plenty meal

Plenty peat to fill her creel,
Plenty bonny bairns as weel
That's the toast for Mhàiri.
Chorus:

Cheeks as bright as rowans are

Brighter far than any star,
Fairest o' them all by far
Is my darlin' Mhàiri.
Chorus:

Meaning of unusual words:
Mhàiri=Gaelic form of "Mary"
shieling=hut in the hills for people looking after animals.
creel=basket

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=17lJPn...eature=related that is a Utube link and I hope it works for you!!

A utube vid clip playing the Sky Boat Song and Mhairi's wedding from the 2007Military Tattoo

That is lovely and I think it great that your daughter wants to learn more about her family's roots!! http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclanbuchanan.htm

That link may help!!

That song above is about the only really Scottish wedding song know!!

I hope the above is interesting to you and your daughter and your sister!!

Take care and many thanks for responding
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much.

My BIL's dad had such a strong Scottish accent.I was forever asking my sister and BIL what's he saying? What did he ask me? It took me a good 6 years to finally understand him LOL . I was 11 when my sister starting seeing my BIL and when I met his parents.His parents were AMAZING. I miss them very much.:sad:..My daughter called them Grandma and Grandpa..She adored them. They passed away 5 weeks apart.He just couldn't be parted from her. She went first..:sad:

My BIL passed away last year.Two days after his 53rd birthday...He missed the birth of his first Grandson 8 months ago,and marrige of his son in Sept.:sad:..

Funny thing is,my BIL never had the Scottish accent. His SIL was born in England and has been in Canada for quite some time.She still has her accent.And his mother got me hooked on Coronation street at the age of 12. I got my daughter hooked on it also.. She's 21.

I think one of the reasons(besides growing up with it) my daughter is so into the Scottish traditions is because it's easier then the Lithuanian.Which is what she is half and I am full.The Lithuanian language is harder to learn.Especially when you haven't heard that much of it in the home.Her fathers side is from England.

Anytime I would go into the Scottish shops,I would pick up little things that had the Buchanan logo on it. Like a plate,magnet,notepads ect.

She keeps saying she wants to marry a handsome Scottish man. I told her maybe he will have a handsome single father...

Thank you for the links.I will pass them to my sister and daughter.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Brandykins - you really need to show more pics of Scotland! I wish my mom was still alive so I could share these all with her. She would have loved them. Her dream was to go to Scotland some day. :sad: It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. She loved anything Scottish.
Thanks for posting them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Glad you liked the links, Mona, and hope your daughter likes them!! How sad that your BIL died, he was young. It is always harder for those left behind. May he Rest always In Peace.

If your daughter meets a handsome Scottish chappie please ask her to find out if he has an uncle!!! I am still looking

Take care and best wishes.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Brandykins - you really need to show more pics of Scotland! I wish my mom was still alive so I could share these all with her. She would have loved them. Her dream was to go to Scotland some day. :sad: It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. She loved anything Scottish.
Thanks for posting them.

Aw 14+Kitties - you must then try to come over to Bonnie Scotland and live the dream your Mum had! I always said I wanted to go to the States because my Dad had lived there for many years (long before I was ever born). He was a chief steward on the American Liners and he was based in Baltimore. I always wanted to go there and when he died, I decided that is where I would go, so my late brother and I went and we toured the Eastern Seaboard. It was fantastic.

I will ask my friend if he has more to post - I have some as well but my pics aren't as good!!

Take care and best wishes to you and yours

Rose, Loki, PJ and Soochie
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:12 AM
-

I love seeing the pictures of Scotland that you post.

My mom was born in Scotland but came to Canada when she was a young girl. She never had the accent but my grandma did. I've always wanted to visit there but unfortuneately that isn't going to happen so please post lots of pics for me to enjoy.
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I love seeing the pictures of Scotland that you post.

My mom was born in Scotland but came to Canada when she was a young girl. She never had the accent but my grandma did. I've always wanted to visit there but unfortuneately that isn't going to happen so please post lots of pics for me to enjoy.

Aw many thanks Rainbow and I will post up more. Your Mum came from a guid place - Scotland It is such a shame that you can't come and visit but I will certainly post up more when I get more to post!!

Take care and again, thank you
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes he was young...:sad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandykins
If your daughter meets a handsome Scottish chappie please ask her to find out if he has an uncle!!! I am still looking
I will...
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM

Och that will be guid

Many thanks, Mona

Take care.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
My friend took both Loki and I yesterday up north yesterday, to Glen Etive and Glencoe. It was a lovely day (first one we have had for ages) and it there was a wee fall of snow - it was lovely seeing the mountains with their snow "hats" on top of them Hope you like.

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2835.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2687.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2697.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2823.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2686.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2676.jpg

http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photograp...8/IMG_2711.jpg

Hope no one minds that I put the links altogether on the one thread.
Beautifully done. . . . . looks like a good time to visit. I don't mind it being colder and I like the starkness. Reminds me of home!!!

Best wishes.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM

Oh Rick C you should visit Scotland at this time of year! If the weather is good it is lovely to see the Autumn colours. I think the scenery looks much better than it does in mid-Summer - the only thing is, our weather has been so poor this year!! Kept the midges busy though biting us all

I prefer this time of year as well. Nice and cool. Those mountains are awesome!!

My friend captures the mood of the mountains and scenery really great.

Many thanks.

Take care.