Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 AM

Talking Where to get coconut oil

Hey guys, just ran accross your posts on the coconut oil. It is Extra Virgin, 100% organic. No GMO's, Vegetarian. It is at a place that you can get it at a good price also - around $10.00 for a 16 oz jar. The brand is Garden of Life
The website is called Vitacost.com They have great prices for supplements as well and their brand of supplements is really good !
Hope this is helpful.

Canine Riches
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM

"Extra" virgin

I would have to say, as I have been doing a TON of research on Coconut oil due to my own thyroid problem (and ran across this because my cats have ear mites and in my research had seen it could help), I would NOT trust any place that sells "Extra" Virgin Coconut Oil. The reason the authors of the books and articles I have read say that they would not trust these companies is because there is no such thing as EXTRA virgin C-nut Oil. There is only Virgin and non-virgin oil. So if they are selling you extra virgin, they are either charging you extra because they know you don't know the difference, or they don't know themselves, and therefore shouldn't be trusted.

Just though I would mention this as I kept seeing it refered to as extra virgin in the threads. Olive Oil can be extra virgin....coconut oil cannot.

That being said...have people had good experiences getting rid of feline ear mites with coconut oil?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM

Dear Russte,
Coconut oil is great to use for your pets aswell as to use for yourself.

Cheers Ruby'n'Buck

Last edited by Blackbear; September 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:18 PM

Hi its me Ruby'n'Buck,
Can anyone tell me how much coconut oil i should be giving for a regular dosage to my medium sized dog Ruby she is almost 3. And my horse Buck he is 24 this year.
Thanks Ruby'n'Buck
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM

does actual coconut have any benefit or would you have to eat too much to get the same level of benefit as the concentrated oil?
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM

I would err on the side of caution with this--especially the ingestion of coconut oil... it seems to be another cure-everything fad (huge red flag imo), heavily promoted by the health food industry, but lacking evidence aside from a flood of anecdotes. Where are the solid studies and research to back it all up?

Actually, here's a scary little bit from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_fats_and_oils
"However, palm oil and coconut oil, even as unhydrogenated "natural" oils, are high in saturated fatty acids (lauric and myristic acid) that have demonstrated negative effects upon plasma cholesterol and cardiovascular risk factors.[19][20][21][22][23] In fact, they are commonly used in animal studies to induce atherosclerosis to investigate the possible causes of the disease[24][25][26][27][28]"

Eek?!

I think it's important (for both ourselves and our pets) to work on overall health and have a varied diet of foods that are proven to be nutritious rather than to rely on one food or ingredient to make you (magically?) healthy and cure you of a bunch of ailments.

For now, I will rub it on my skin and hair on occasion and stick with my olive oil diet.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCS View Post
I would err on the side of caution with this--especially the ingestion of coconut oil... it seems to be another cure-everything fad (huge red flag imo), heavily promoted by the health food industry, but lacking evidence aside from a flood of anecdotes. Where are the solid studies and research to back it all up?

Actually, here's a scary little bit from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_fats_and_oils
"However, palm oil and coconut oil, even as unhydrogenated "natural" oils, are high in saturated fatty acids (lauric and myristic acid) that have demonstrated negative effects upon plasma cholesterol and cardiovascular risk factors.[19][20][21][22][23] In fact, they are commonly used in animal studies to induce atherosclerosis to investigate the possible causes of the disease[24][25][26][27][28]"

Eek?!

I think it's important (for both ourselves and our pets) to work on overall health and have a varied diet of foods that are proven to be nutritious rather than to rely on one food or ingredient to make you (magically?) healthy and cure you of a bunch of ailments.

For now, I will rub it on my skin and hair on occasion and stick with my olive oil diet.
I wondered about this too. Isn't coconut oil one of the particularly bad ones in human diet? Could it be as bad for our pets as for us?
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM

i think some oil in moderation has its benefits, I just wouldnt go whole hog and take several tbsps.+ of coconut oil or fish oil for that matter As far as the tests they do on animals to achieve heart disease, I would research more, from what I do know, often the amounts of anything used to test on animals are horribly much larger than what would be considered a normal amount to inhale, ingest etc. to produce the so called effect. Animal testing is disgusting but that is another story...
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah i hear you on that Fad concerns, as far as the virgin unprocessed etc version I can definitely have benefit, and the processed looses those benefit, It is just a oil though so I don't see it being cure all, I am sure it would be good for fur and skin as many oils are but I wouldn't expect anything too miraculous from it.
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Longblades, it's absolutely wonderful for your hair. That's all I've ever used it for.
Anecdotal evidence worries me,but Scruffy won't eat fish oil. Maybe if he likes this, his coat will improve.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Longblades, it's absolutely wonderful for your hair. That's all I've ever used it for.
Anecdotal evidence worries me,but Scruffy won't eat fish oil. Maybe if he likes this, his coat will improve.
Topically? Or ingested?

Don't laugh. Years ago a remedy for human dry hair problems making the rounds was a hot oil treatment with mayonnaise. I tried it. Of course, as we are sometimes inclined to do, I decided if ten minutes was good twenty would be twice as good. Did you know mayonnaise tends to crystallize? It took me so much hot water, shampoo and scrubbing to get all the junk off that my hair was more dry than when I started. And I still smelled faintly light a salad.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Longblades that is too funny. Reminds me of the time I tried mashed avocado as a conditioner!
Also a huge mess to get out.
But I have used the coconut oil in my hair, not mixed with anything.
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Does this work?

So many people say that coconut oil works to help with your pets health. I am wondering if it really does work, or is this just another fad that can hurt your animals? I am wanting to try it because we just got rid of fleas in our place. Our poor animals are still itching, even with no signs of fleas on them or in the house.

If this actually works, how much do I give my animals? Do I add it to the food, or put it directly on the spots that they itch?

Please give me any advice you can. Thanks!

Last edited by Blackbear; October 27th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: No personal email addresses, pls
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM

So...this thread is over 4 years old. Did anyone find any long-term benefit? It seems a bit outrageous that people would feed what sounds to be a fairly large amount on a daily basis of a supplement with little research on benefits.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM

All those great effects it has on dogs, it also has on humans! Just sayin...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Macie seems to be develping chronic problems with her right ear ...
Well now I'm super curious...
1.- I wonder if it's good for senior cats. The Goddess aka Hilda who lives with my parents is 16 or 17 (her age and beauty earned her the title of goddess )

And about the ear...
2.- I've always experienced inflammation in my inner ear occasionally, but lately way more often, dunno if it's the change of season or what but it hurts very often so I was wondering for me too hehe.

And of course my fur babies here Mulder and Scully
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can't give you much of a review, Koteburo, cuz we didn't use it for very long. We found out that Macie had a mild allergy to chicken and she has seasonal allergies, too. Once we changed her to a fish-based food, the seasonal allergies became much more manageable and her ears got sooooo much better...so we discontinued the coconut oil

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Willing cat servant

Yesh I'm taking now allergy pills and no more ear but I'll still research more about the coconut oil
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM

Cool Dog Ear Infection Cure Time

So my dog has an ear infection. I looked at his ears the other day because he was scratching and shaking his head, not realizing what it was at first. They were red. Then I checked yesterday morning and suddenly his right ear was very dirty. I immediately went to the store for some coconut oil after learning what he has and so far today there was little to no dirt. However he does stay close to me.

I have two questions though: Should I clean his ears with the coconut oil daily or only when there is debris? Also, how long should it take to clear up?

Already he seems in a much better mood, yet we try to spend little time outside since it's been freezing in Quebec, and I also switched his food for something wheat-free. I know those are two possible causes for an ear infection.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:55 AM

Coconut oil is great stuff. The minpin gets some orally once in a while, not sure if there's any real long term benefits - or as suggested, is it a fad.

We will bathe him in it (we don't use soap of any kind) and clean his ears with it, gives a noticable difference. Really helps with skin conditions, smear some on any bad spots after a bath and it promotes healing. Matters not if it's licked off or not.

Might not want to bathe with coconut if your dog is long haired.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Normally, I'll just clean when I see debris, Karina92, but I put in a little coconut oil daily. I've found that if I clean daily, it can cause irritation. The coconut oil seems to soothe as well as keep all the debris moving out of the canal as it should--our incidence of ear infection is way down!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Coconut oil

I have been giving my pets coconut oil for a couple of years. I also cook with it, try in it corn bread,heaven. Anyway. I was told not to worry about organic since coconut is naturally organic not being prone to disease and not having to be sprayed. You can buy in it most groceries stores these days. I bought a 5 gallon bucket since we use it so often and then fill up a pint jar to keep by the stove. I started my pets off on small amounts, the dogs will eat it right off the spoon. Hoss, 81 pounds gets 2 tsps, Piper 13 pounds give a 1/4 tsp. The cat gets the same as Piper. I was giving it every day but some concerns have been raised about liver toxicity so I have cut down to 3 times a week.
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Neo+cats

I use coconut oil for myself, from cleaning teeth to moisturizing skin and cooking.
However, I hadn't thought of adding it to my dog's food. If she only wants to lick it in its solid state, I will use a spoon just for her.
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:31 AM

I clean my dog's ears with coconut oil too and it's wonderful. I highly recommend it!
Old April 19th, 2015, 03:55 PM

Organic coconut oil is very beneficial to your Dog's skin, digestion and immune system. I personally purchase my stock from a convenient store. I am sure most stores stock them. Its definitely the right way to go.