Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 18th, 2004, 10:16 PM

Spaying and neutering cats

My sister in law recently adopted two kittens. One boy and one girl. Of course she is going to get them spayed and neutered, she is very resposible for her animals. My question is, when can she get the female spayed? Apparently a vet has told her that she can have her done at nine months. I thought they were done at a much younger age? Also, I thought I read somewhere that cats can go into heat at six months old, so this is not making sense at all for her to wait so long to have Baby done. I don't remember what she was told about the male....but I think we had our boys done by six months....maybe sooner (it was eight years ago).
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm very surprised at the vet, because of course you are right, and cats can certainly go into heat and get pregnant at 6 months.

With males, you want to neuter them before they start spraying, so I would do that at 6 or 7 months as well, just to be on the safe side.
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
~Cat Servent~

I believe my vet has told us that it can be done any time after 5 months.
But don't fret, if the female does go into heat once before being spayed, she will be fine.... I know Windy was. Of course if they are outdoors, it's a whole new issue as yes they can become prego when they are barely outta kittenhood themselves (Mamma).
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:55 AM
banned user

Where I got my cats done (low cost clinic) they said they don't go by age because every one of them are strays and their exact age is unknown. So they go by weight, which is 4lbs.
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer
I believe my vet has told us that it can be done any time after 5 months.
But don't fret, if the female does go into heat once before being spayed, she will be fine.... I know Windy was. Of course if they are outdoors, it's a whole new issue as yes they can become prego when they are barely outta kittenhood themselves (Mamma).
Yah - but if she has an intact male too it could be a big problem.

I've read a research report on ages to spay/neuter cats and dogs and they concluded "the earlier the better". As young as 7 weeks for both cats and dogs. In the past it was believed that fixing too young would create possible infection issues as the animal would not be full vaccinated by that point, and there was also concern about effecting the natural growth of the animal - both of which were disproved by the study.

If your sister's vet reccommended keeping 2 intact cats together for 9 months I would seriously be considering a new vet.
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If your sister's vet reccommended keeping 2 intact cats together for 9 months I would seriously be considering a new vet.
No kidding! This one needs a lesson in biology!

Quote:
I've read a research report on ages to spay/neuter cats and dogs and they concluded "the earlier the better".
I personally do not believe in that, unless the kittens are being adopted out and you must be sure it's done.

For my own cats, I spay females before the first heat and with males I like to wait longer - 6 or 7 months.
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM

The vets here won't spay until at least 6 months old. Which is coming up very soon for my baby.
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Thanks so much guys! I knew I wasn't going nuts! My girly was done at eight weeks, she was done the day before we adopted her at the SPCA. I guess it is a lot easier, or there is newer procedures, so they can be done earlier than say ten years ago.

I will make sure my sister in law gets the message....and a new vet!