Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 17th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Cat Urine!

I have a 17 yr.old himalayan cat...who has had multiple operations because of crystals etc.. which has left him with just an opening for the urethra everything else has been removed (10 yrs.ago)...he is partially blind (sees shadows) and has lost some teeth...though his sense of smell is great..he has been on Prescrition diet x/d for years... For the last 2 yrs. he has been urinating on couches, the rug and beds whenever he gets the chance to do so. I have covered the couches with items and closed bedroom doors and the bathroom doors also...now he is urinating on the hall rug about 3 feet from the litter box which is kept clean! There are no medical/physical reasons for him to keep doing this. We are seriously thinking that his time for pet Heaven has come. We are in the process of getting the house ready for sale next year....and know that the remaining rugs will have to go... Can you give us some kind of reassurance that we are going to do the right thing? We have had him, (Tuggs), since he was 7 weeks old. This is really traumatic for the whole family. Any advice would help. Thank you.
Sincerely,
bittsmom
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Aww, I'm sorry. I know this is heart-wrenching. Your post seems to be suggesting that his urinating is the main reason for getting rid of him, but my gut is telling me that if he was otherwise healthy and young you'd go the extra distance to take care of the urinating problem. Your cat is very very old and sick. It might be best for you cat (not just your carpets, etc.) to say goodbye.
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I also lost my 17 yr old cat and had her since she was 7 weeks old and know how you feel.

But even after the type of surgery your cat had, he can still get blockages and stones. Have you had him checked out in the last 2 yrs since the urinating started?

If there is no problem with stones, only you know if your cat is still enjoying his life and if it's time to let him go or not.
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Unhappy

moontamara,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply...and yes, you have read between the lines! ..... the time has come and it is tearing at my heart.... we have many good memories of our big burley, orange Tuggs. We do have another cat, a female ragdoll (for 4yrs.now)...she will miss him big time, he has been her groomer since the day we brought her home. Thank you again for your input...it's greatly appreciated. I will keep you informed of the events to follow...
Sincerely,
bittsmom