Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM

Angry Constantly whining

I have a bassett hound. He is about 10 months old and I have crate trained him. When he is in the crate he is constantly whining... not just a normal cry its more like a kid trying to learn how to whistle but its a CONTINUOUS high pitched noise that is making me want to rip his head off and then my own.

I have tried everything for this... rewarding him when he doesn't do it, ignoring him unless he stops (which i must add is next to impossible because it is SO irritating), putting pennies in a can and shaking it to startle him... everything. He is just persistent.

I can't take it anymore and of course I let him out of his crate a lot but he needs to be in there sometimes because he is crazy and tears up the house. This dog is just out of control and I need HELP please!!!
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM

I'm having to hold back the laughter, only cause I've been there, and I'm there now....I totally empathize! I know it can be very annoying and they look so sweet, you can't help but give in.

I'm NOOOOOO expert! Please remember that, however I've had a lot of experience with hounds. I am on my 2nd basset as an adult.

In my experience, Bassets are STUBBORN!! They think very independently and really don't care about your schedule or agenda. Stand your ground, be very sturn. Also, they are very manipulative (generally speaking). But, they can be trained, it just takes a little longer. Believe me, they are sooooo worth it! They have so much personality and are soooo loyal and loving. Don't give up on him! He will come around!!! He's still a baby.

Good Luck!! I would love to see pictures!!!
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Master of the Drool!

He will come around!!! Don't worry. Just be consistent!! Good luck and welcome!!! We really need some pics!!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriann27 View Post

Good Luck!! I would love to see pictures!!!

i put an album in my profile check him out

pink nose and green eyes... oh man
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM

OMG! He's precious! Just be sturn and stand your ground...he will come around and you will be so glad that you did! We are pulling for you!!!

Have you tried letting him fall asleep with you? Then put him to "bed" in the crate? That works for me.
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
-

Do you make him exercise before putting him in the crate ? Also , does he have a safe toy with him ?
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM

i think i have tried everything... he has plenty of toys but im starting to realize he is smarter than me and knows its so COMPLETELY ANNOYING that ill come over there to yell at him after 3 hours of it. i just cant ignore it after so many hours and i can't do anything cause he just wont stop. alllllllllllllllll weekend it has been constant. it makes me want to pull my hair out and i feel like i hate him when hes doing it although i could never hate this or any dog... i know its extreme but OMG i can't stand it
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

i just know how you feel!!! try having a min pin lol,get a big cong, and put chez whiz in it and freeze it for when he or she goes in the crate!!!! put music on, but before all that take him or her out for a walk and burn off some engery !i have a min pin x that im sure is mixed with a hound she used to houl like crazy in the crate when i was not here, hubby said its time to take her out of the crate, i said helloooooooooooooo no!! well i finally said ok, and she has been sooooo good, she is happy with the other 4 all comfy in her blancket in the kitchen , just waiting for us to come home.. good luck to you brenda and the pins
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
-

When do you crate him exactly ?
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Doggie Wench

How much exercise is he getting exactly (not counting going out in the yard to eliminate)?

If you're leaving him in his crate for 3 hours while you're home, you should do so only after he's had plenty of exercise.

At ten months old, pups have lots of energy. I would only crate him after a long walk or play session. You can try rotating his toys so he doesn't become bored of them. How about stuffed Kongs (for some ideas http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59240 ) or meaty bones?

Normally, I don't put young dogs in their crates unless it's nap time or for a rest period after a walk and/or some training. It's usually with something yummy that will take them some time to gnaw on. Within 20-30 minutes, they're fast asleep. They're too pooped to whine .
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM

Yea, I agree. I try to wear little Horton out before bed, play and poddy...then bed time. Have you tried letting him fall asleep with you then put him to bed? Don't know if that will work, it works for my little one and he usually sleeps through the night.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Geek Club CEO

I have a GSD who was a whiner as a puppy.

And two years later she's STILL a whiner...that constant, high-pitched "whistle". You know it.

We've done everything humanly possible to discourage this behaviour. Conclusion: she's a whiner for life.

I can tune it out but it makes my DW want to jump off the roof sometimes.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

If he is destructive in the house, maybe you could try the tether method, where you tie the puppy to you with a suitably long line so you can keep an eye on him. Either that or shut some doors.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
If he is destructive in the house, maybe you could try the tether method, where you tie the puppy to you with a suitably long line so you can keep an eye on him.
I have to agree with this...

He needs to be taught NOT to be destructive,if not,then he will continue.

You need to re-direct him..This means if he gets a hold of something, say his name followed by the "leave it" command..Have a toy for him to replace the other object...If he leaves it,praise like crazy.

They don't learn if they are not taught...

As for the crating,can't help you there..I never crated..And my guys had free run of the house at 5 1/2 months.

Yelling isn't going to solve anything..Patience will....

Also,how did you start his crate training?Did you just stick him in,or do it slowly?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM

WOW thank you all for your responses... i'll try to answer questions!

1. How did i start crate training-

I eased him into it and he never minded it... he uses it as his safe haven and he hides bones and his toys under the bed so the other dog (beagle mix) doesn't get them its very cute

2. How long is he in there-

He is in there after exercise and when my boyfriend and I are not at the apartment. He is also in there if we are watching a movie or something and can't watch him wander around the house to eat everything he finds on the floor!

Currently, though, he is in there more... I had him neutered on Thursday and he isn't supposed to be active so he doesn't tear his stitches. I have to put him in there whenever he gets rowdy with the beagle cause I don't want him to hurt himself. I'm sure this has something to do with the whining but I also know he is taking advantage of the fact that I feel sorry for him right now.

3. Out of the crate behavior-

He is not really destructive in the house, but being a bassett hound, he will eat anything and everything he sees and he is SO curious that I have to have my eye on him at all times when he is out. This little cutie is SUCH a handful.

I attempted to attach a photo of him and Hugo, the beagle mix awesome dog Attachment 45648
Attached Images

Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverhound View Post
He is in there after exercise and when my boyfriend and I are not at the apartment. He is also in there if we are watching a movie or something and can't watch him wander around the house to eat everything he finds on the floor!
Keep up with the crate training. We've been there!!! but it IS worth it.

Just a suggestion, since you are trying to crate him when you are home. IMO he is definitely going to be whining since he can hear you guys are having fun watching movies without him so may I suggest getting a baby gate or 2 so he can stay in the same room as you, or at least stay OUT of areas that you don't want him to be. If he only has access to (for example) the living room and kitchen while you are watching a movie, then he wont feel so alone. And then just crate him when you are not home.

My hubby and I picked up 2 baby gates at a garage sale for $2 each. I will, however, suggest the 'accordion' type ones because eventually he will learn to push over the pressurized ones and they will take the paint right off the wall (also shown below ).

For example:

Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM

good idea... i like that the only problem, though, is that the beagle is VERY smart and has figured out how to take those down!

i think i will try it anyway, its been a while since hugo took down a baby gate maybe it will work
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM

The accordion ones can't be 'taken down' unless the beagle has a screwdriver

It uses 2 hinges, 3 screws per hinge, and a very tight eye hook to close. Even our HUMAN guests can't get them open