Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The hummingbird garden and the well garden at Hazel Run

The Hazel Run Mama is working on the well garden--next year it might have more blooms
There were a few things in it this year so far, though:

Jonquils
Name:  Well garden - jonquils 5-2-09 P.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  61.4 KB

Hybrid lupine
Name:  Well garden - Lupine 6-8-09 B.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  48.9 KB

Mystery plant
Name:  Well garden - mystery flower 6-23-09.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  61.7 KB
...if anyone knows what this one is, please let me know!
The buds look like balloon flower buds and the leaves are so deeply notches as to look almost lacy.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Now we move a few yards south to the hummingbird garden...

Name:  Hummingbird garden - Birdbath 6-8-09.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  71.0 KB
the dragonfly birdbatch

Name:  Hummingbird garden - Bleeding heart 6-19-09.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  76.2 KB
the 'baby' bleeding heart is blooming already this year

Name:  St Francis in the garden 6-19-09.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  76.1 KB
I brought Dad's St Francis statue home
~he now watches over the Hazel Run Mama's hummingbird garden~
you can see the bleeding heart between St Francis and the birdbath

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

eventually, there will be Day Lilies and Phlox blooming in the hummingbird garden
but right now the impatiens and the columbine are adding some additional color...
Name:  Hummingbird garden - Columbine 6-10-09.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  61.0 KB

...and the hummingbirds add more flashes of color and constant activity
Name:  Hummers at the feeders 6-8-09 C.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeder 5-24-09 A2.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  61.1 KB

finis

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:42 PM

Your Jonquils & Columbine are so pretty beautiful garden

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ah, the magic of creative editing. If I show individual flowers or small sections of the gardens, you can't see the weeds taking over the rest!

Old June 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel just beautiful! I love the statue too.

I think the mystery plant might be lavertera. The blooms look like it anyways. I grew both the pink and the white ones. But they are just annuals here.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

They might be annuals here, too, TQ, and just reseed. At least, they seem to be coming up in slightly different spots each year

The one here looks very similar in flower to the 'White Angel' variety, but the leaves are all wrong. In the pic I posted, you can see the leaves peeking out over the top and at the lower right of the blossom--see how notched they are? The pics I could find online show a much broader leaf... But I couldn't download all the pics, either

Old June 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Garden nut

I have some of that mystery flower too Hazel! Not quite sure what it is, but I am suspecting it is Malva moschata which has different leaf shape than Malva sylvestris. I have some sylvestris growing, in cultivars of Mystic Merlin, Braveheart and Zebrina. They haven't flowered yet but would be glad to share seeds! Also have the common pink version that pops up wild here everywhere.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Malva/alba.php
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Molly's mama

what a beautiful garden! the statue is a nice way to remember your dad by. and 3 hummingbirds at once!! amazing! I just put my hummingbird feeder out a couple days ago and it doesn't seem to have any activity yet- any suggestions??
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,your pictures are absolutely beautiful
OMG,I thought you said you were not able to grow anything
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I don't know very much about plants or there names, but I love looking at them with all the colors and different kinds.

Old June 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Master of the Drool!

Ohhh wow Hazel, Beautiful garden!!!! Where do you find the time???!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks for the nice compliments It's embarrassing because I put so little effort into the gardens...

I thought St Francis would look good in there, mollywog, and he certainly does seem to feel at home! And everytime I look out into the garden, I'm reminded of Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
3 hummingbirds at once!! amazing! I just put my hummingbird feeder out a couple days ago and it doesn't seem to have any activity yet- any suggestions??
I have mine hanging from a shepherd's hook under a pine tree. They seem to like the shade. The edge of the woods is about 50 feet to the south. There's a huge spruce to the NE of the hummingbird garden that they nest in. Right now I have 3 feeders out--2 of them hold 28 oz of nectar, the third is an 8-ouncer. I'll have to fill all three again by the evening.

We get lots of birds--there are at least 40 that I'm sure come to the feeders...and I'm probably underestimating. I haven't seen any young of the year, yet...though I'm expecting to any day now. Then the fun starts! Migration is gonna keep hazel hopping this year!

But I have no idea why we get so many It just seems like the ideal place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hazel,your pictures are absolutely beautiful
OMG,I thought you said you were not able to grow anything
Two points to remember--if I tried to grow this stuff, it would all die. And remember that madame hazel is the queen of creative editing. I crop out the parts of the garden that are overrun with weeds or dying under a deadly coat of mildew!

Actually, I've been having pretty good luck with perennials that can take care of themselves...I figure if they sprout up there, they must like it there and I leave them where they are. It's an arrangement that both I and the flowers can live with! The only thing I plant every year is impatiens, and as long as you give it lots of water, impatiens is pretty fool proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
I have some of that mystery flower too Hazel! Not quite sure what it is, but I am suspecting it is Malva moschata which has different leaf shape than Malva sylvestris. I have some sylvestris growing, in cultivars of Mystic Merlin, Braveheart and Zebrina. They haven't flowered yet but would be glad to share seeds! Also have the common pink version that pops up wild here everywhere.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Malva/alba.php
I'll have to check them out! Not sure if I'd know how to collect the seed on these--so far I've only found two plants...down from about a dozen last year. :sad: But if I can find more blooming up in the wild area (there were some there last year that bloomed a little later), I'll attempt it if you can PM me instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
Ohhh wow Hazel, Beautiful garden!!!! Where do you find the time???!!
I don't. All my time is spent making hummingbird nectar! So the garden takes care of itself don't ask about weeds

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The link finally opened up, Ceara! I think you've nailed it! Looks exactly like the pic and description of Malva moschata

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Very very pretty hazel. I think you've been holding out on us!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Garden nut

I'm glad I could help!

The seeds are in a circle in the dried papery pod, similar to how a Hollyhock sets seeds. So when you pry apart the yellow papery outer part, you can see the brownish seeds inside, formed in a ring all stuck together.

Also I read this morning that Malva may rebloom if you cut down the flowering stalk to the base after it finishes. But maybe not if it's been successful at maturing some seeds.

Plants are kinky things and all they think about is sex and making babies! So some plants, if the immature seeds and dead flowers are removed, you can trick them to think they didn't do a proper job of breeding so they try again.

It doesn't work on all plants though. :sad: But I've tried with Lupins and it worked. Well actually I only intended to cut off the finished Lupin flower stalks last year because I didn't want cross bred Lupins popping up everywhere. To my surprise they rebloomed. Will try on the Malva this year and see what happens!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper