Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM

Excellent Marco. That's why I mentioned that you should really research before you bring home a ferret. I would also recommend everyone to read Kim Schillings "Ferrets for Dummies"....whether you are just considering a ferret or already have one. Many call it the Ferret Bible. It is chalk full of useful information and just about everything you need to know and what to expect from sharing your life with a carpet shark.

Pet stores indeed do not know enough about ferrets. I find myself on many occasions going in there and explaining how to do things or what not to do.

Ferrets can be a very expensive pet. They need regular things such as rabies and canine distemper, flea treatments....normal things that all animals need. Their food can be pricey, and sometimes they get sick. Some surgeries cost upwards of $1000 or more. We have vets in our area who treat ferrets, but there are some smaller towns that don't have the means to do so, so that just adds to your expense.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

I just love seeing the pictures of the little guys/gals.

They are too cute!
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM

I totally agree with Donna Marie " ferrets for Dummies" is a very handy book. Smoochie our ferret had a upper respitory infection it cost about $200.00 for medication and vet fees. We are lucky the vet we bring our dogs to also treats ferrets.
--Toto
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM

I don't think I'd ever end up getting a ferret. My man is allergic to everything and I got bitten really badly by one and got kind of spooked...
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I don't think I'd ever end up getting a ferret. My man is allergic to everything and I got bitten really badly by one and got kind of spooked...
They do make wonderful pets. It is too bad you are spooked, they are such a joy to be around. Just like any other animal, it is up to the owner to teach them right from wrong. Sam was a bit of a biter, but he is getting much better now. He was obviously handled by a lot of different people at the pet store, so it is totally not his fault. Like I said, he is getting way better with lots of work and patience. They do nip when they play with us, but not in a mean way. They are still very young (all only ten months old) and are learning the difference between playing with a human and playing with eachothter.

You would be amazed by some of the reactions....or maybe not...that I have gotten from people. I ran into an older lady and her husband, who live in my complex, while walking them. She was practially in panic mode "Oh, don't touch them they bite, oh stay away from them" as the husband was trying to say hello. I guess I complained to a lot of people and word got back to her how upset I was about her reaction and her ignorance. The last time I saw her, she just looked at them and said how cute....and she "let" her husband pet them.

I have taken it on as a personal resposibility to teach people about these awesome little guys....without coming across with the idea that they would make good pets for everyone. I deter children from asking their parents for one, and tell them "Any time you need a ferret fix, come knock on my door." I even tell them the hours that they are awake and just last night two kids went with us on our walk. I tell them how expensive they can be and what kind of resposibility they are. We haven't gone on vacation this year as we cannot just leave them with anyone....so they can take up a big chunk of your life...even if they do sleep for eighteen hours a day.

Well, as you can see, I love to talk about them. They have given me and my family so much fulfillment, so all of the work involved is so with it in my opinion. I only have one son, and he is now fourteen. I won't be having any more kids, so I guess this kind of fills the void. The cats are great, but the boys allow my mothering instincts to take over, as we all know the independence that felines have.

Anyhow...wow....I sure did rave and rant on....sorry about that
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM

That's ok. I know they're not all bad. I had rats for a long time- I know the reactions. I just got a bad bite- I scare easy. But if someone I know was to have a nice one, I'm sure I'd learn quickly to like them.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM

FINALLY I have picture of all 3 of my girls. lesson in ferret picture taking........don't try and get one to sit still in the middle of a play sesson!! This is Tiko
Attached Images

--Toto
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:25 AM

This is Scrappy. Tiko and Scrappy are litter mates
Attached Images

--Toto
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:27 AM

and last but not least this is Smoochie. she's the oldest @ 3 yrs and the smallest @ half a pound. she is tiny compared to the other ones!
--Toto
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM

i guess it would help if I attached the picture! muhahahaha ya it's morning
Attached Images

--Toto
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Awww....what dolls. Isn't three so much better than two? I think so.