Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
we had to stop weighing bree, I just didn't want to get upset everytime.. as long as I knew she was getting enough calories, and vitamines and she was eating,and her poops weren't bad and she had energy, that is all that mattered.. (in your case no seizures) it doesn't matter if he's under weight or a little over weight, unless it matters for the herbs and meds??
I was told sometimes when a dog has so many medical issues they don't always weight what they are suppose to weigh
Bree was suppose to be 100-120lbs dog lol lol lol ya right!!!
Dr. Marsden wants us to bring him in once a week to make sure he isn't losing at a faster rate. His herbs aren't weight related so much as his thyroid med. We have to be careful that he doesn't get too much or he can become hyperthyroid.
I would have thought Bree weighed around 100lbs, at least!! She looks so big, furry and just gorgeous!! I really am sorry you have had so many issues with her too. It's heart breaking to watch them going through the bad "spells", but worth it when they turn that corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Isn't it great the things that make us happy! Solid poop! Since Shadow doesn't have much bowel control lately that's a HUGE thing for us

I can feel (and see) all of Shadow's hip bones and spine now. I hate that her bones are protruding like that, her tummy isn't skinny though. She loves to sleep on the bare floor at night and it has to hurt her hips. I have to resist the urge to make her move constantly, but that's where she goes right back to sooooo....

Hope all the other furries are doing better today.
DD, I feel for you. Both Thorin and Nookie have had a few accidents this last week. And since they both sleep in our bedroom so we can hear if anything is wrong, that's where the messes are made. Unfortunately, when they have their accidents, it's never a solid poop lol
I think Thorin is having a bout of colitis (I'm praying it isn't pancreatitis) and left a trail all across the room last night, and Nookie the same thing a couple of nights ago. One of them puked at around 3 this morning. I think it was Nookie because it looked like there was barley in it, so I think we will have to stop the barley and maybe try quinoa (as pbpatti suggested). We will have to rip out all the carpeting, which is ok because I hate carpet anyway. It just makes for a rude awakening very tiring when it's 3 nights in one week lol
We are also heading to the vet today with Thorin. I found a couple of lumps on him last night
One is right between his should blades and the other is on the back of his neck. I called and they said to bring him in for needle aspirations right away. I'm praying they are benign

As for poor Shadow, I think the same when Nookie lays on the hardwood or tile. It doesn't look like it could possibly be comfy, yet he insists on sleeping there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
It wasn't bad taste, I just laughed out loud when I read it. Very funny, and I have some inkling of how you can think that way at times. When I was taking Tammy in repeatedly to get her support casts replaced I even wondered if I had a problem, You've been through so much more with poor Nookie, Robyn, he's just a poor sick boy that needed an like you in his life. Imagine if you hadn't been there for him. Sorry he's losing weight, your talk of bones showing made me think of a Dobe I once heard about, it had Diabetes mellitus and someone even reported her to the RSPCA for neglecting the dog, when it was of course getting proper care, just very thin due to that complaint. Hope you get on top of this problem Nookie has though, as you have all his others.
I'm glad you saw the humor in it, GF! Anyone who knows hubby and I would know differently
We just seem to have really bad luck
Well, or good luck... depending on how you look at it! We could have lost them both long ago, but we didn't. So I think I would say we were actually fortunate

Though I'm really becoming worried about Thorin. He's had a nasty bout of colitis the last couple of days and now I found the 2 lumps on his back and neck. He is still very bright, alert and happy and has a huge appetite, so who knows. As for Nookie, I'm going to insist on another TLI for the EPI if he is still losing. But you mentioned Diabetes Mellitus. I was actually reading a bit about that yesterday and was thinking it may not hurt to have him checked. He has everything else under the sun... why not that too?
I really hope not, but a lot of the symptoms fit.

Well, we're off to get Nookie weighed and Thorin biopsied, then back to meet here at 1 with the insurance adjuster and contractor. It's gonna be one of those days! Wish us luck. And if any of you are the 'ing type, that's always appreciated. Thanks to you all for the support

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Half Way To Crazy

and

and

and

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto what Breeze said.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Triple that!

that Thorin's lumps are just fatty tumors!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess that makes mine Quadruple that! Prayers that all goes well at the vet today Robyn. Thinking of you and the pups.

I hear you about the bedroom issues. My two sleep in our room too. Shadow has had a few messy mistakes in the last while, but like I said fortunately right now, not messy.

Some nights she's up and down every ten minutes, and of course I hear her moving around and have to check to make sure she's okay. The last couple nights she has been sleeping more on the floor and not moving as much, and then I have to check she's okay there because I'm worried that she's not moving around... I guess it's no wonder I'm tired all the time, you must be also, it's so disruptive to our sleep when we're constantly worried and watching them. But what else can you do? Is your hubs like mine Robyn? He doesn't wake up even when she had the messy runs in the bedroom. Stunk to high heaven, he just snored through it all while I cleaned and mopped and sprayed...

Thinking of you and hoping for a good update.
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I guess that makes mine Quadruple that! Prayers that all goes well at the vet today Robyn. Thinking of you and the pups.

I hear you about the bedroom issues. My two sleep in our room too. Shadow has had a few messy mistakes in the last while, but like I said fortunately right now, not messy.

Some nights she's up and down every ten minutes, and of course I hear her moving around and have to check to make sure she's okay. The last couple nights she has been sleeping more on the floor and not moving as much, and then I have to check she's okay there because I'm worried that she's not moving around... I guess it's no wonder I'm tired all the time, you must be also, it's so disruptive to our sleep when we're constantly worried and watching them. But what else can you do? Is your hubs like mine Robyn? He doesn't wake up even when she had the messy runs in the bedroom. Stunk to high heaven, he just snored through it all while I cleaned and mopped and sprayed...

Thinking of you and hoping for a good update.
It's the same in our house. Both have been very restless the last few nights, so every little move they make, I'm up checking. Then when I don't hear them, I, like you, am checking to make sure they're ok lol. Nookie rarely ever lets us sleep past 6-6:30 on the weekends. So on the rare occasion he does sleep in a little, I wake up in a panic and make hubby check

Shaun is wonderful when it comes to the boys. He and I both clean the messes. If he is off the next day, he does it. If I'm off, I do it. If we both work, it's whoever can stand the smell the longest that gets to stay in bed

Nookies visit was good. He gained a pound and a half! So they're thinking he just needs more carbs in his diet.

Thorins visit did not go so well
She thought at first that one was just a fatty tumor and the other just a clogged/infected follicle. She did a fine needle aspiration and said she was very surprised. Instead of seeing that fat, dead cells and inflammation, she saw a lot of live, round and very active cells in both lumps. She that is typically a very good indication of cancer. She said it's possible that they are mast cell tumors, but also could be the dessimated form of the cancer we were doing the chemo for (histiocytic sarcoma). If that's what it is, we don't have long with him. But I'm trying to remain optimistic. He is going in for surgery Monday morning to have them both removed and biopsied. So it's just a waiting game for now.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad they're getting him in quickly though. I'm at a loss for words right now. Other than bad ones... You are all in my thoughts and prayers for the best possible outcome on Monday.

Of course it's great that Nookie gained weight! Way to go Nookie Monster!

I'm fortunate that my two will let me sleep in on weekends, however, that now entails taking them for a walk at 6 or so and then going back to bed. If Shadow hasn't had a poop on the floor by then I'm afraid to wait much longer. She doesn't like going in the yard, she likes going "outside" the yard for his business - how lucky am I?? She grew up in a townhouse where we always had to go walk, so it's just her habit.
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad they're getting him in quickly though. I'm at a loss for words right now. Other than bad ones... You are all in my thoughts and prayers for the best possible outcome on Monday.

Thank you, DD
Our vets are wonderful. Even if they're booked solid, they make time for both Thorin and Nookie. I noticed the lumps late Thursday night and called first thing yesterday morning. She said at first they were booked until next week and asked what was wrong. As soon as I told her, she made me an appt. and said to bring him in right away.

Of course it's great that Nookie gained weight! Way to go Nookie Monster!

I'm so happy that he gained this time! We are going to replace the barley with brown rice and see if he tolerates that better, and if it will give him enough carbs to put the weight on like the barley has. Here's hoping

I'm fortunate that my two will let me sleep in on weekends, however, that now entails taking them for a walk at 6 or so and then going back to bed. If Shadow hasn't had a poop on the floor by then I'm afraid to wait much longer. She doesn't like going in the yard, she likes going "outside" the yard for his business - how lucky am I?? She grew up in a townhouse where we always had to go walk, so it's just her habit.
That sounds just like Thorin!! He doesn't like to poop in "his" yard lol. He's also very private and has to lift his leg and poop "on" something. He's a little confused
The best was a pine tree, and the needles must have poked him in a very "delicate" area because he gave a bit of a yelp, tucked his tail and ran from the tree! Shaun and I both were in stitches... poor boy! He's never lifted his leg on another pine.

I'm glad they let you sleep in! I really wish Nookie would let us, even 1 day a week! I don't know where Nookie picked this up, but he has a very "unique" way of making me get up. He only started this a few weeks ago... I'm a side sleeper. He will sit beside the bed and cry until I open my eyes and look at him. If I ignore him, he will paw at the mattress. If I continue to ignore him he will jump on the bed and lay right on top of me!! He will lay with his chest up by my shoulders, his tummy on mine and just completely drape himself on me, full weight (it's these times I'm thinking it's a good thing he's not 110 lbs anymore!). If I continue to ignore him, he paws at my head until I get up
He's definitely a pup.
Shaun just laughs and say's "Better you than me"
I don't know why he doesn't do it to Shaun lol

Old October 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Shaun is probably better at ignoring him than you and he knows it! When Shadow wants to wake me up she just stands there and stares at me. Like that's really helpful! Oddly it seems to work though - go figure.

I would imagine with the amount of business you give you vet they should make room for you. My mechanic is like that with us - tells us we're his best customers Now that I think of it though, maybe if he was a better mechanic we wouldn't be such regulars... hmmm No he's good, we just have old cars.

Poor Thorin getting poked where it hurts. Shadow oddly used to really like to poop on bushes too. Never understood that one either. She's back right up to one and hit the branches. And she pee's like a boy, always has. Not lately since her legs aren't strong enough now, but people used to laugh at us all the time. She's used to be a star leg lifter!

I hope the brown rice works for Nookie. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. No wonder I don't sleep anymore, too busy praying for everybody and their furries It's worth it.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, Susie had a mast cell tumour removed, along with a mammary tumour, and that gave her YEARS extra, so good luck with Thorin. Your talk of how Nookie wakes you, and lies on you, is why I decided not to let Jarrah have her freedom at night, I don't want to be woken like that. LOL. So, she has a big square crate, covered at night so it's like a den and I never hear a sound out of her. Perkins has an even bigger pen(5'4" square) and his big bed plus two thick sheep fleeces(on top of 3 layers of newspapers) makes it pretty comfortable for the old bones. He loves plucking wool out of his fleeces. (Grrrr!)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
I....
Thorins visit did not go so well
She thought at first that one was just a fatty tumor and the other just a clogged/infected follicle. She did a fine needle aspiration and said she was very surprised. Instead of seeing that fat, dead cells and inflammation, she saw a lot of live, round and very active cells in both lumps. She that is typically a very good indication of cancer. She said it's possible that they are mast cell tumors, but also could be the dessimated form of the cancer we were doing the chemo for (histiocytic sarcoma). If that's what it is, we don't have long with him. But I'm trying to remain optimistic. He is going in for surgery Monday morning to have them both removed and biopsied. So it's just a waiting game for now.
Wishing for the best, and that this is a mast cell tumor that they get with clean margins, and it has a low mitotic figure
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Shaun is probably better at ignoring him than you and he knows it! When Shadow wants to wake me up she just stands there and stares at me. Like that's really helpful! Oddly it seems to work though - go figure.

Usually, Nookie just staring at me wakes me up, but then I roll over and try to ignore him. Doesn't work for long though lol

Poor Thorin getting poked where it hurts. Shadow oddly used to really like to poop on bushes too. Never understood that one either. She's back right up to one and hit the branches. And she pee's like a boy, always has. Not lately since her legs aren't strong enough now, but people used to laugh at us all the time. She's used to be a star leg lifter!

Poor old girl. She sounds so much like Thorin. He won't poo unless he has something to poo "on". I was walking with a friend of mine once, and I'm so used to him doing that, that I don't even pay attention anymore. He stopped, backed up against a light post, lifted his leg and did his thing right on the pole! She about died laughing
He's given us many laughs

I hope the brown rice works for Nookie. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. No wonder I don't sleep anymore, too busy praying for everybody and their furries It's worth it.
LOL, DD, I know what you mean!! And from our end, it's most appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Robyn, Susie had a mast cell tumour removed, along with a mammary tumour, and that gave her YEARS extra, so good luck with Thorin. Your talk of how Nookie wakes you, and lies on you, is why I decided not to let Jarrah have her freedom at night, I don't want to be woken like that. LOL. So, she has a big square crate, covered at night so it's like a den and I never hear a sound out of her. Perkins has an even bigger pen(5'4" square) and his big bed plus two thick sheep fleeces(on top of 3 layers of newspapers) makes it pretty comfortable for the old bones. He loves plucking wool out of his fleeces. (Grrrr!)
GF, I'm praying they are mast cell tumors and not histiocytic sarcoma.
As for the crates, Nookie was crate trained at one point, but then decided he didn't like it. He would stress himself out so bad that he would have a seizure, so both our vets said no more crates for him.
That's one reason we left the last daycare. They had strict instructions not to crate him, but they did and he had a seizure. So we don't have a lot of options. Even though I get very tired, and even a little irritated some days, I can't be mad at him. He makes us laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Wishing for the best, and that this is a mast cell tumor that they get with clean margins, and it has a low mitotic figure
Thank you, MaxaLisa. That's what we're hoping and praying for

Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Half Way To Crazy

just a thought Rgeurts what about trying to train him to go on the puppy pee pads
it's not the greatest solution but maybe help with the clean up?? He's still young so maybe it could be a good thing??

Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
just a thought Rgeurts what about trying to train him to go on the puppy pee pads
it's not the greatest solution but maybe help with the clean up?? He's still young so maybe it could be a good thing??

Thank you Breeze
He's potty trained, he just has no "holding" power when he has diarrhea, he has a loose sphincter (it never fully developed). It hasn't been too bad the last few months, until he got the parasites a couple of months ago. Since then it's been kinda on and off. We did consider getting a few pee pads just for those occasions, but the last time we tried to use them, he ate one
His Pica isn't as bad as it was when he was a pup, but he still has it. We can't even put a mat under his water dish. We had a rubber one a few months ago and he ate a chunk of it so we tried one of the braided rugs and he ate the tassles off it
The stained carpets give me a reason to get rid of them and put down some cork or wood. We just have to wait until the vet bills ease up a bit. Not sure
how much Thorins surgery will be tomorrow, but nothing related to our 2 is ever "cheap" lol.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Thank you Breeze
the last time we tried to use them, he ate one

oops!!!!

The stained carpets give me a reason to get rid of them and put down some cork or wood. We just have to wait until the vet bills ease up a bit. Not sure
how much Thorins surgery will be tomorrow, but nothing related to our 2 is ever "cheap" lol.
we have no carpets any more either cause of our first dog just some throws here and there, we want new flooring but well with 2 beasts and a hubby why bother = wet/muddy/snowy paws same with shoes or boots

good luck tomorrow with Thorin's surgery and the after care (which in my eyes is worst than the surgery)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
we have no carpets any more either cause of our first dog just some throws here and there, we want new flooring but well with 2 beasts and a hubby why bother = wet/muddy/snowy paws same with shoes or boots

LoL, I can relate!! We will probably rip the carpets out and use some area rugs until we can afford to put some nice flooring in. We want to sell as soon as the values go back up a bit!

good luck tomorrow with Thorin's surgery and the after care (which in my eyes is worst than the surgery)
Thanks! It shouldn't be too bad. The vet said they're just under the skin and neither feel like they're "deeply" rooted. The only thing I'm really worried about is putting him under. That always scares me

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Breeze, I posted a few recent piccies
They both look great. Nookie is really skinny in a couple of them, but he's still looking healthy overall!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending good luck for Thorin's surgery tomorrow, Robyn!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Sending good luck for Thorin's surgery tomorrow, Robyn!
Thank you, Hazel!!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Breeze, I posted a few recent piccies
They both look great. Nookie is really skinny in a couple of them, but he's still looking healthy overall!
where???
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Half Way To Crazy

found them
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Half Way To Crazy

for you and Thorin today
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Thorin and you are in my prayers today.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks all
Thorin is in surgery now. I hate waiting. I hope we're doing the right thing by letting them put him under

Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn that's always one of the hardest questions with the older pups isn't it. I'm sure he'll be fine, try to stay positive.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There are a lot of goodvibes, healing wishes and positive energy out there for your boy, Rgeurts. Hang in there

Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
I hope we're doing the right thing by letting them put him under
don't go doubting yourself!! you do what you must and what feels right for Throin and you both.

soon he will be out of surgery, keep positive
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all so much!! Thorin is out of surgery and in recovery. We will be picking up between 5 and 5:30

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown