Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Newbie :D

Hi Guys,
Im from New Zealand, with one 3month old female Kitten, Oscar.

my problem is, she bites.. and attacks all the time. i guess its just a natural instinct thing. when you walk by, she will be stalking you from a dark corner and attack your feet. which i can understand as my feet are a moving object.

But even if you are just sitting, watching t.v or with your eyes closed, she will pounce, bite and claw and i dont know what to do. i have growled, moved her to a different room for 5 minutes to calm down (with toys of course) and given her toys to take her attention off attacking us. i took away her catnip mice, and nothing changed there either!!

i was watching animal planet today, and there were kitties on there.. the man was playing with one, saying how energetic she was, i was thinking 'oh my god, if thats what he thinks of that kitten, imagine what he would say of mine..!!

Is it a female cat thing to be hypo? i have heard that it is but i am not sure if there is any truth to it..

Thanks for reading..!!
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried playing with your kitten to get it tried? It need to get more exercise , a climbing post might be a good idea. And you need to play with your kitten so it will bond with you not just give it toys to play with.
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:12 PM

yes i let her outside today and she ran around for ages and then slept for like 2 hours haha, i have got a climbing post, i just need something exciting to tie to it to get her to use it more often, she used it heaps when she was about 7 weeks old, then kind of lost interest. when i do play with her she ends up getting too excited and attacking me. i have used my growly voice to make her know it's wrong, but it doesnt seem to worry her..
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board. I don't have kittens anymore, but I'm sure some of our more experienced cat folks will be along shortly to give you some more advice.