Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Catlover2

Super that your mom agrees to another kitty. As to introductions this is usually short and sweet with kitties. Best time to do an intro is during feeding time. Rub one of your worn T-shirts or Kiko's blanket all over the new kitty. Then just put new kitty down on floor of the bathroom where you feed Kiko. Give them separate plates to eat about a yard apart. You may find that they prefer to eat together off one plate. They'll sort that preference out between themselves. There may be an initial hiss or growl, because newcomer smells strange, but before you know it they will be playing and chasing each other. Also, play with Kiko as you have been and new kitty will likely want to join in the fun. New kitty may be a little unsure of you, a new playmate and its surroundings in the beginning, but seeing that Kiko looks to you for food and play, will likely copy her behaviour. Calicos tend to be bossy and alpha cats, so she will likely be calling the shots.

With your hot 40C+ weather in Kuwait now, it would be a good thing to add some additional water to the food. If her poops look drier than normal instead of moist, this would be an indication she needs more water. Cats are descended from "desert" African wild cats and tolerate heat quite well, better than us humans. They have a naturally higher body temperature than us--- their normal range is 100.0ºF (37.7ºC) to 103.0ºF(39.4ºC) . If she's panting because she's been playing and running around, she'll probably lie in the shade on the floor until she cools down--panting is a natural way to cool the body. If she's panting and has not been running around, you could cool her down by wetting her coat with water with your fingers, especially her head and ears and belly. When you have her checked out by the vet he should take her temp to make sure she does not have a fever. Altho kitties with a fever usually are off their food and not as active. Good luck in finding another kitty, and would be nice to know what the vet says about her anus thingy.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Investigative researcher

Cats like to hide, so yes her basket needs to be in a place that feels safer to her. It looks like the washroom is that place for her--plus being what it is it will feel coolest for her near the water and drains. Try to keep it as far from the litter as possible--perhaps giving her more than one choice [leaving one basket/box out near house door and one in the washroom.
A wet piece of carpet or thick towel she could lay on if needed might help with high temps. That way, if she felt overheated she would have a choice to help cool herself. Kittens love to chase/chew on ice cubes when it is hot, if you can give her those.
Hope you find her a playmate--looking forward to video of two kittens racing about in that courtyard!!
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM

she has a room with a window in it thats always open. its all 100% shade except for the area the window brings light through.

she hides behind the door usually. i put her water but she wont drink any.

and i take her canned food and add some water to it and then mix it up nicely.

we're currently facing a dust storm right now. i mean yesterday comming back home i couldnt see past 100 yards of me. the ground in her room is all dusty. if i clean, it'll just go back to being dusty, so im gonna wait and clean after the dusty weather subsides.

shes been sneezing quite abit lately. i think its cause of the weather, but its been going on for the past few days. nothing a check at the doctors cant fix

speaking of which, my friend who offered to pay has had to make a trip to qatar (another country in the middle east near kuwait.)

so im just gonna wait to get my paycheck, and then go and try and see how far i can go treatment wise, ofcourse getting her the primary treatments first, and then the other stuff comes when its time is best.

but thank you guys for confirming a few things.

the icecube thing i think will be awsome, plus its reneweable, which is great. but ill give that to her when the ground isnt dusty.

she only pants when shes playing, she loves to run accross your lap and pounce on your hands. she'll even taunt me sometimes by semi charging at my face.

when i find myself in a stareoff with her, i close my eyes shut to tell her "i trust you." but she just tries to pounce on me face LOL.

guess when shes older she'll understand what im saying.

anyhow, i'm thinking of moving my bed there, but. theres no air conditioning, and its a hassle at this stage, maybe when its older and its more self maintanance. i mean, i dont want her to jump on me with a peice of poo on her paws... :S
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 14th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Catlover2

Geez, those dust storms look awful. I've only seen them on TV, but they sure look worse than snow....give me that any day! Hope the dust storms don't last too long. I can remember reading stories about the "dust bowl" days on the Prairies in the 1930s, and how it got into everything inside the houses, even with windows closed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CiDaUYr90

Kiko may be drinking more than you're observing. If she's still doing 2-3 wet clumps in her litter every day, she's drinking or getting enough water in her food, but if it's down to 1 clump or hardly any in a 24 hr. period, this would indicate she's not getting enough water. You can always do the "pinch" test to see if she's dehydrated. Pinch skin up between her shoulder blades for a few seconds, and if she's dehydrated it will stay up for about as long, but if it goes down quickly she's not dehydrated. Her sneezing is likely because dust is getting up her nose. Calicos can be feisty, so I think it's her way of playing if she's going for your face. Slow blinking to kitty is cat talk for "I'm cool, I'm relaxed, I trust you." Often cat will blink back the same way. Tho kitties do like to practise "stalking behaviour" and jump on you the way you describe. As long as she's not biting down hard, nothing to be concerned about, but I would definitely discourage any hard biting with a stern "No".
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM

yeah i might post a video up of the dust while driving. had to turn on the flashers, fog lights, and the emergency lights all together!

awsome thing today, i went and put a hose inside her room after emptying it and turned on the water. i used a sweeper and just cleaned the room. shes pretty brave i mean she was right next to the washroom door watching in awe lol :P.

but i decided to leave it full of water once it was fully rinsed. the water was what? barely at the back of your hand if you placed your palm on the ground.

anyhow, after some convicing "come here!" 's she came over, and just followed me. which was awsome. im quite convinced if i go anywhere she'd follow me.

anyhow. her room is clean.

ran out of food, and my parents wont let me go the distance with a 20 minute drive to the groceory store that has cat food (since our local one doesnt) because its still dusty.

so i fed it rice that was cooked with meat stock.
i put some water in the rice so it gets its water.

im gonna take the liberty of removing the safe guards in the main door only because i doubt she would leave, i mean, once she stabalizes her home, she doesnt leave.

i forgot to mention it, but i didnt take her home right away from the groceory store.

i took her to a friends house the next neighbourhood over. he has this nice little garden where the fellow neighbours congregate. hes got bushes, flowers, grass, all those nice greens.

i took it there, so it and i could take a breather.

anyhow, it was still in that "get the hell away from me or ill bite your face off" mood.

it pooped inside its box. so i put it in a bird cage without holding it. it was not easy. after i did that, i put some clorox, rinsed the damn thing, took a sponge, and scrubbed the clorox around. it was in the bird cage dirty with poop. so i hosed it down, on its legs only at first so it doesnt get too freaked out. i then slowly worked around its body except for its head. i think the warm water soothed it because like i said before, there were insects and such when i tore down its initial home apart. so im pretty sure its skin was irritated or something, because it calmed down. i took several sheets of tissue and started to calmly dry it down, without really touching it. it calmed down, even kinda, tried to paw at my hand but in a dosle(dosile?) way.

it was definetly like what? 40 degrees centigrade. so i had beads of sweat all over my face, and it definetly wasnt gonna catch hypo/hyper-thermia.

since it was nice and calm, i took it out of the cage, and took it to the grass. and i put it under me. it then slowly snuck off into the bushes. and then started the three-day capturing campaign.

i exhausted myself trying to catch it.
i ran around after it until it disspeared (or so i thought).

it ran under this wooden platform. i didnt know there was a hole. so i thought it took off. matter of fact, i tried extra hard because i didnt want it to leave the area.

the amazing thing is it stayed there. i went home, thinking it was gone.

come back next day and a few people were like "i seen your cat!"

"no way! really?"
"yeah it was playing under the chairs haha"
"thats reassuring."

i found it, and as soon as it seen me it knew what was up and ran and dissapeared again, i was frusterated. then i realised, that it went under the platform. so i took out the platform, devised several types of plans to capture it. none of which worked, except for the one where i put left over chicken inside the cage and wired a string through it so that once it goes in, i'd pull the string and i'd shut the gates little door on it.

it worked once, and it got out. second time, i thought i had it, took the liberty of doing a little dance and a little singing that came to an abrupt halt once i seen it escaping. turns out the wiring wasnt 100%. so i fixed it, and since the cat isnt stupid, i walked away from it for the day.

i was afraid i'd catch a sun stroke, so i left.

came back the next day with some dry cat food. once again, they tell me it was there, and that it would play under their chairs but run away once they would get too close. some even tried to catch it, thank god they didnt. because they are too ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

so im ready to catch it , only this time, with the wiring corrected. and whadya know? i caught it.

anyhow, my point is, those 3-4 days it stayed at that area, despite not having an adequate source of food.
there was water though, but it was warm.
there were two large male cats around too, im surprised they didnt kill it, i thought they would so that they prevent competition, unless the kittens carrie their genetics.

anyhow, the big cats went inside the cage and stole some food too, so im sure that they knew the little one was there.

might aswell have called kiko lucky :P.

anyhow, yeah, so if you guys still dont think its a good idea to take the safeguards off, i wont.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 14th, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Investigative researcher

She is still too young to want to wander--but she soon won't be. If she is spayed by 6 mths of age before she goes into heat, your chances of keeping her in and other cats out are improved by 500%, but "teenage" cats still like to get out and about and explore their neighbourhoods--and sometimes a dog or a car or a diseased ainmal or poison ends that in a bad way.
Just letting you know what we all worry about when cats are able to leave. Glad you have made such efforts to keep her safe, and glad she is there for you--sounds like she is a bright part of your day!
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:40 AM

alright, so ill take the stuff off, and look for something more practical till she turns into a "teenager"

i have a question.

whats the difference between neutering, spaying?

i dont get it, if i neuter will she spray? and if i spay her she wont spay but she can get pregnant? i dont understand.

can you spay and neuter? or is it one or the other.
if so, which is better?
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SSS how ya doing? looks like things are going well with KIKO!

Spaying is the term used for female's and neutering is for males.

Is that thing on her anus getting better? I forget when you said you were taking her in to see the vets?

Any updates on SSS?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Catlover2

Neutering is when a male's cats testicles are removed surgically, and spaying is term used when female cat's ovaries are removed by surgery. Kiko should be spayed at 4 mos., no older, as some females can come into heat at 5 mos. and sometimes it's a "silent" heat and there aren't obvious signs, and she could get pregnant then. Usual signs of heat are being super affectionate, yowling, rolling and sticking up her bum and treading with her hind feet, and licking her bum, and some females will spray urine. Females can be in heat from 3-10 days, and then come back into heat within another 2-3 weeks. Best to get her spayed as early as your vet will do it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtNLM...eature=related If she comes into heat, a tomcat will hear and smell her and come over the wall and likely mate with her.

I would keep access to get under the gates blocked. As she gets older she'll naturally be more adventurous and she may go over the wall out of curiosity. May be more content to stay put with another kitty tho. But the closer the bond she has with you, the more likely it'll be that she won't stray and leave and will come back home.

If you have some chicken, or cooked ground beef, or a medium soft-boiled egg you could add that to the rice until you can get some cat food, as cats need a higher protein diet than dogs. Your story and Kiko's is interesting to hear, and you're taking good care of her.

Last edited by catlover2; May 14th, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Catlover2,I know you know a lot about cats but you are wrong in comparing our cats to ancient cats from Africa.I know for a fact,my cats cannot take too much heat,need to drink a lot.
My Rocky had not only one,but a couple of heatstrokes,where he had seizures and it scared the heck out of me.
Should the same happen to a kitten she might not survive.

SSS,I would be very careful,with removing the barriers,not only could she get out,but other cats might come in.
Normally,I don't think mature cats would kill a kitten,but I could be wrong of course,however,they are not lions,who are known to kill a females offspring just so he can mate with her.

One off Topic question,what are you growing in the pots,olive-trees,almondtrees or are they just going to be flowers
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Catlover2

chico2, for one thing our Cdn cats are not acclimatized to the kind of heat there is in Kuwait. Most cats are pretty savvy about hot temps and restrict their activities during our rare heat waves, when temps get into the mid to high 30Cs. and tend to sleep the day away and lie out in cool shaded place or stay in air conditioned house. But yes a cat could certainly have a heat stroke, especially if it was confined in a hot car for example. Just curious as to what were the circumstances when your cat had it's heat strokes? Are they longhaired or shorthaired cats? Maybe some details will help everyone? With the coming of warmer weather it would be good to know.
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

catlover2Rocky was playing in my backyard on a hot day,all of a sudden his legs folded and he fell over in to a seizure.
It happened a couple of times.
Now,if it is really hot and humid he will find a shady spot or goes in to the airconditioned house,
he is a shorthaired ordinary(but very special)tabby,now 14 yrs old.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
chico2, for one thing our Cdn cats are not acclimatized to the kind of heat there is in Kuwait. Most cats are pretty savvy about hot temps and restrict their activities during our rare heat waves, when temps get into the mid to high 30Cs. and tend to sleep the day away and lie out in cool shaded place or stay in air conditioned house. But yes a cat could certainly have a heat stroke, especially if it was confined in a hot car for example. Just curious as to what were the circumstances when your cat had it's heat strokes? Are they longhaired or shorthaired cats? Maybe some details will help everyone? With the coming of warmer weather it would be good to know.
Geesh, wish somebody would tell my Jasper that He doesn't tolerate the heat well at all, but won't stop zooming around in it . It gets to the point that he is panting and can barely move when he finally stops. When it gets really hot we can't let him out because I know he is going to eventually end up with heat stroke, like Rocky.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM

thanks again for the people who are committing to helping me with kiko (and cats in general,) i reaaally appreciate it.

speakking of getting heatstrokes, i've been putting water in her food, and her poop is.. i dont know, soft? hard?

i mean i cant tell if it is or isnt. when im finding it in the little box it stays in tact, and smells soooooo strong for its size, i mean you'd think a horse came and did its thing, not a cat.

the anus thing got a little smaller but went back into its original infectious state.
im gonna go to the vet between the 22nd and the 25th. since my friend left i cant really depend on him to take me. so since im waiting for him for the next 5 days, i guess ill just wait another 2 after it and go and pay myself for whatever i can.
but shes not sucking out of stress anymore.

speaking of him traveling, im looking after his 10 year old calico female. they all left so im supposed to go and make sure everything is ok with her by checking in on her at 2 PM everyday and then leave.
when i first walked in, she did that meow where she has her lips shaking. kinda like when your cats outside and its stalking prey and you say something, and it replies with a meow while its lip are shaking. anyone with some experience in animal behavior care to explain wether it wanted to kill me or it was just happy?
im honestly intimidated of it, i remember hearing a story of a cat attacking a burgular. i dont want to go through the same thing, shes 10 years old too, so she knows whats up lol. im afraid and so is she lmao. so i just make sure im talking and it can hear my voice while i move around, so that it isnt surprised or anything and knows where i am. i would like to take a picture during the short 3 minutes i am there.

kiko...
she, has mixed feelings i guess about me.
when she plays with my hand she goes soft then really bites on my hand. and i go "NO BITE!" and she keeps going, and then i tap her nose, but its not always her nose i tap, i sometimes hit her face her eye (when its closed due to its natural reaction when my finger is close), its hard to aim at the nose :S.

and when i do, it stops, and then runs off. and then comes back, pounces around and runs away. i think im just irritating it.

it comes to a point where she just... comes really close and plays for like half a second and then runs away. and if i speak she just runs away.

the blinking thing works though only if i look away. she then gets too embaressed to ignore it and replies with a calm posture and some nice blinking. sometimes she even slowly doses off. lol.

if i stick my face next to her, she almost cries out "get the hell out of my face," while trying to pounce on it. i think it gets reminded of my face when i stuck my face near it on its first day of meeting me at my friends garden.

what else... what else...the

i WANT her to have babies. atleast once. i mean, who am i to decide if she cant or cant. i dont want her to be deprived of a satisfaction. ofcourse i'd take care of the kittens. but i atleast want her to experience it once.
i dont know, im still uneasy about the whole thing. no matter what, it ISthe right of the animal, im gonna need more convincing besides it-will-make-everything-easier kinda notion. sorry but im being blunt. if im gonna deprive it of something like this, i want it to be for a GOOD reason. not cause its easier for me to keep her. im basically on the fence with this situation.

about SSS... what to say? i dont know. hes still, out there. i dont think he wants to come home. a couple a times hes gotten out, but i'd take a short walk and squeeze my lips and suck to make that squeaky sound, and after what? 10 minutes? im hearing him meowing and running accross me to home. despite not wanting contact with me outside the courtyard, he still goes home. this time... when my brother seen him he didnt run home. i dont know why, cant really speculate neither. i think hes, moved on from us?? :S

back to kiko.
when i speak, it kinda gets annoyed im guessing, cause sometimes its tail sways back and forth when i speak. i tried lowering my voice, but nothing works as well as when im quiet. if i call it once and it cant see me from behind the door, i wait a short while. then it runs over, on my lap, sometimes on my shoulder, and then just chills around-- briefly-- and then leaves.

im confused. i guess its testing out whos boss? even though im not rough with it except i guess when im trying to stop it from biting my hand too hard.

if i let it have a litter, and THEN i spay it, will it still go into heat? or is everything just gonna dissapear?

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 15th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Catlover2

Are you CRAZY!!! You are NUTS if you want Kiko to have babies. You say: "Who am I to decide if she can or can't"? You must decide she can't!!! You are her owner and guardian. She doesn't need to have a litter to feel fulfilled or whatever. With her anus problem she should never be bred. PERIOD!!! In fact I'm suspicious that Kiko may already have been raped and her anus problem is the result of that. You have no idea what you may be getting yourself into....not every birthing goes smoothly without complications.....C-sections, uterine infections, stillbirths.....believe me you don't need the hassle and $$$ that you'd have to pay to get her fixed up and get shots, worming etc. for a litter of kittens, nor do you need to add to more kittens needing homes. Those are reasons enough... PLEASE GET HER SPAYED ASAP!

I'm just too angry that you'd even think about her having kittens to comment on anything else you're dealing with Kiko at the moment.....maybe later when I cool down.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Are you CRAZY!!! You are NUTS if you want Kiko to have babies. You say: "Who am I to decide if she can or can't"? You must decide she can't!!! You are her owner and guardian. She doesn't need to have a litter to feel fulfilled or whatever. With her anus problem she should never be bred. PERIOD!!! In fact I'm suspicious that Kiko may already have been raped and her anus problem is the result of that. You have no idea what you may be getting yourself into....not every birthing goes smoothly without complications.....C-sections, uterine infections, stillbirths.....believe me you don't need the hassle and $$$ that you'd have to pay to get her fixed up and get shots, worming etc. for a litter of kittens, nor do you need to add to more kittens needing homes. Those are reasons enough... PLEASE GET HER SPAYED ASAP!

I'm just too angry that you'd even think about her having kittens to comment on anything else you're dealing with Kiko at the moment.....maybe later when I cool down.
lol easy easy. your reminding me of my mom now, she goes crazy if i suggest something :P
but anyhow, i'd hate to lose your support. your one of my main sources for guidance with this stuff.

like i said i want convincing to neuter or spay, i dont want to do it just cause i was told, i need a reason.

but i ment like, when shes a few years old, i didnt mean i'd offer her to a random street cat. also, AFTER she'd be 100%, definetly didnt mean it within the foreseable future. you know?

anyhow, im getting MAD De Ja'vu.

please if your gonna tell me something, do it calmly, remember, im here for advice, and i think i made it clear im on the fence with this, meaning im not against it per se, im just asking for more support on it.
i dont want anyone to get mad, rather, i'd like it if we managed things with more understanding than bickering. not to say we were bickering though.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Catlover2

Ok, here's some reasons as to why you need to have Kiko spayed, besides the fact that she may already have some damage to her back end.

REASONS FOR SPAYING: The primary reason for spaying is to prevent unwanted litters and eliminate sexual frustration. A female cat typically goes into a week of heat--also known as estrus--three or more times a year. During that period, the cat may cry continuously, display nervous behavior, and attract neigborhood male cats. She may even try to get out of the house to find a mate. Repeated heats without mating can cause health problems such as pyometra, a common condition in unspayed females several years old who have not been bred. Pyometra progresses from irregular heats to depression, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive urination. Repeated breeding is also unhealthy because it produces nutritional deficiencies in the mother that can be passed on to her kittens. And breeding only contributes to the tremendous cat overpopulation problem.

Early spaying reduces the risk of malignant breast and cervical cancer and eliminates the possibility of ovarian and uterine tumors. Estrogens released during a cat's first heat are believed to contribute to future tumor growth, 90% of which are malignant.

WHEN TO SPAY: Veterinarians disagree on the optimal time for spaying. Some believe that it should be performed after the cat's first heat at six to eight months of age to ensure the development of a normal adult body shape and to have the least effect on the neuro-endocrine system. But many others think that spaying is most effective in preventing health problems as well as unplanned pregnancies in the period before the cat’s first heat. Since some cat come into heat early at 5-1/2 mos, 4-5 months of age is ideal.

If she does come into heat, this will certainly have any male cats coming over your wall to mate with her.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

SSS,I am not angry with you,a lot of people here in Canada too,think that way"I'll let her have just one litter"that's part of the reason our animal-shelters are full to capacity and so many cats are killed

Kiko does not need kittens to feel fulfilled,she needs your love,food and a safe place to live.
It's more a danger to her life to have kittens and what about the kittens,if they make it?
You could not keep them all and not spay/neuter,before you know it you would have 50 cats.
Little kittens are adorable,I wish I could have more than my 3 cats(14,13 and 8 yrs old)but with kittens comes more responsibility and $$$,at least here,where cats can live to be 20yrs old.
So please don't let her go through a pregnancy,to begin with,you don't even know if she is in good health yet herself.
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i WANT her to have babies. atleast once. i mean, who am i to decide if she cant or cant. i dont want her to be deprived of a satisfaction. ofcourse i'd take care of the kittens. but i atleast want her to experience it once.
i dont know, im still uneasy about the whole thing. no matter what, it ISthe right of the animal, im gonna need more convincing besides it-will-make-everything-easier kinda notion. sorry but im being blunt. if im gonna deprive it of something like this, i want it to be for a GOOD reason. not cause its easier for me to keep her. im basically on the fence with this situation.
Why would you want to breed her?

Do you know what the word anthropomorphizing means? Look it up. Well, here you go http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...pomorphization

That's what you're doing here. Attributing your own human feelings to your cat. She will not get the type of satisfaction out of raising children that humans do (and you have to admit, even some humans don't enjoy raising babies). Cats have the INSTINCT to raise their babies just so they can create more of themselves so their species doesn't die out, just like any other animal. Some cats do not even HAVE this instinct.
There are several threads on here about mother cats eating their own babies or just abandoning them. I have seen this happen myself. There can also be major complications due to birth or pregnancy, leading to death of the kittens or the mom, or long term health issues for both. Pregnancy and nursing is hard on a female cat and is not to be taken lightly. There is a huge cost, both financially and for the wellbeing of the mother.

Female cats do not mate and produce kittens out of the joy of doing so. They do not make a logical decision whether to mate and have kittens. Anyone who has seen female cats in heat can ascertain this. Hormones cause the female cat to feel a strong PHYISCAL need to mate. They do it instinctually. They enter a heat cycle during certain times and their BODY tells them to mate. If they do not mate during this period they feel very uncomfortable. Letting a female cat go through several heat cycles is stressful and VERY physically uncomfortable to her. This is why she seeks out a mate, to relieve the irritating physical sensation they have due to hormones.
If a female cat does not go into heat a male cat will attempt to get her to go into heat by mounting her, or if she's not in visible heat yet can rape her (when a female cat is not in heat they do not willingly allow males to mount them) and impregnate her.

Saying that you want her to get the "satisfaction" of being a mother is anthropomorphization (read the definition of that word again). You are making the assumption that the cat feels and thinks the same way that you do yourself.

As far as their PHYSICAL need to mate and have kittens, you can relieve that, and prevent the stress and possible health complications by getting your kitty spayed. It is better for her health in the long run and also better for her mental state. She will not constantly feel the irritating physical need to mate each time she goes into heat. She will not somehow escape while in heat (and believe me, cats in heat will find ANY way to escape and find a mate) and have something happen to her while wandering around who knows where. The chance of uterine cancer and other health issues will be eliminated by the spay (unspayed females have a much higher chance of developing several health issues; Pregnant, nursing, or former mother cats also have a higher chance of developing health issues, such as mastitis).

And that's just breaking the surface of the reasons you should have your cat spayed. What about cat overpopulation, which is already a problem? Why do you feel the need to bring more cats into the world when there are already so many cats without homes? You've already found 2 cats that were just wandering around without homes, why would you want to add to that problem? You may THINK you can find all the kittens homes, but take it from someone that is already trying to find 7 kittens homes (yup, I rescued a mom with 7 kittens, that's a lot). It is HARD to get people to take cats when they can already find them on the street or get them free from who knows where. And even if you DO find them homes, how can you guarantee that the new owners will either get their kittens spayed/neutered or find all THOSE kittens homes with people that will do the same? It's nearly impossible.

And as for the financial aspect of actually raising a litter of kittens and caring for their mom properly, it is very high. The mom needs her vaccinations and a health checkup (which I hope you will do anyway). Then the mom will need to be fed a high quality diet of CANNED food (dry food will NOT suffice in sustaining a pregnant cat and her kittens). She will net vet checkups to make sure the kittens are developing properly and that she is healthy. You will need to oversee the birth and be prepared to rush her to the vet if there are complications (and this is if you hopefully recognize when there are problems, because many people do not). AFTER the birth the kittens and mom will need to be overseen by a vet.
If the mom chooses not to nurse the kittens, or has too many to care for, you will need to feed milk supplement (NOT cows milk) yourself, and do it properly. You will need to weigh the kittens and make sure they are growing properly and feed accordingly.
You will need to keep the kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old and on solid food. You will need to see to litter training and changes litter and feeding and watering the mom and however many kittens she has.
The kittens will NEED to be played with constantly and socialized with people (how will you rehome them if they are not comfortable around people?). They will need to be at the least vaccinated before being rehomed, and preferrably spayed and neutered (like I said, how can you guarantee whoever gets the cats will not breed them and give the babies to random people?).

If you want to be responsible , those are a few things that you should think about and know. And these are by all means not ALL OF THE THINGS that you should know. Many of us have knowledge that has come from years of personal experience and research. I've rescued and raised many kittens and moms, and I would never CHOOSE to breed a female cat.

Heck if you REALLY want an experience, do you have any shelters around there? Why not volunteer and see all the animals that didn't find homes? Do you have any idea how many animals are put to sleep because someone had the idea that they should be bred, or just didn't care? Do you have any idea what it's like to have to see an animal go to sleep forever because there was no one available to give it a home? Because I have a feeling if you did you would NOT choose to breed your cat.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM

basically, my desire was to be more convinced... educated on the subject.

i want to know how allowing her to get pregnant is bad for her, not for me.

once again, mybirdisevil managed to leave me without any questions.

i didnt want to "breed" her, i think thats a strong term for what i ment.

i ment allow her to give birth once.

anyhow, i get it. makes sense. all i wanted was more assurance, dont get me wrong people.

but thankyou.

now... can someone re-analyze my earlier post but leave out the kiko getting prego part, and critique the behavioral stuff.

also, for whoever asked about the gardens, i dont know for sure, but most of the greens are like stuff you can eat with rice. like... i dont know their names, but its stuff you cook with and eat with. just pick it off and eat it, those kinda greens.

they also have tomatoe plants, potatoe plants, etc.. etc..

we have land outside the courtyard which is where they are goiing to plant everything.

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 16th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey SSS I dont want to critique what your doing just offer some advice. You are making great steps with Kiko but I think your over analyzing it all..just take each day and enjoy her...SHe is a typical kitten that is gonna play and bite and hide and jump and stare...its all really normal...I think you are worrying way to much...you are bonding with Kiko and thats whta really matters. Treat her gentle. Dont aloow her to bite hard, say no calmly and not yelling at her....all things will fall into place. The more she is around you the more you will see her change and become a wonderful loving kitty!

I mean you can see how quickly you taught her her name!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:21 AM

thanks winston. i guess i am.

i get disscouraged every now and again because i feel like i've made her distrust me when she runs to me and then runs away lol. its weird.

but then i just (in my head) step back and look at the big picture and realise, less than a week ago she would have bit my face really hard out of fear of everything. shes already jumping up to my shoulder and lap.

i've only known her for a few days, so i cant expect THAT much from her. and like you said, i guess i could just let everything fall into place.
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SSS I forgot to mention something vewry important. You mentioned you wanted kiko to have a litter. I know I dont need to tell you why? you lived in Canada before so I am sure you know how many animals there are in need right! anyway to answer the question just go the internet and google "why should I spay or neuter my pet" or just spay and neuter? there are many informative videos you can look at... and beside all of the other reasons that people mentioned above here its just not a very wise choice for you at this time for ALL of the reasons.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM

yeah, i really just wanted to be on board with the idea. i didnt want to go through with it unless i thought it was legitametly necissary.

but seeing as how MBIS left a few convicing facts in her well written post, i guess my warry-ness is gone.

but thanks for the feedback guys.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Kitty pimp

lol ive had my DUI fir 4 years buddy and i still cant pet her belly

cats have a long memory and are very slow to trust sometimes
celebrate the little things
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Catlover2

First of all my apolgies for my over-the-top response yesterday....was having a bad day...what can I say?....

MBIE, thank you for such an excellent response on the importance of spaying/neutering....it should be a sticky!

I'm glad SSS that you finally are convinced. We're just trying to help you avoid some serious mistakes and want the best for you and Kiko, believe me.

As to Kiko's biting....a lot of this is natural for kitties her age. A companion kitty would certainly help with that, as they would bite each other in play as that's what kitties do her age---she's in what I call the "rowdy stage". So hope you can find her a cat friend around her age. Also the running to you and then away. Kitties do that to each other....it's part of how they play to encourage chasing or whatever.

Some of her biting could be related to a change in amount of food she's eating. Kittens tend to have growth spurts and then plateau for a while where they're not as hungry. High heat can also suppress appetites. If kittens are hungry and not getting enough food, they do tend to do the kind of biting you describe. Does she ever have food left over from the previous meal or is everything gone? You might try increasing the amount you're giving her. Another thing that's likely affecting her is worms. When you go to the vet be sure to mention she has not been wormed and s/he will give her some worming medication to kill them off. This would certainly be affecting her appetite too--making her feel hungry. Sometimes people assume a kitten is being fed enough when kitty is "pot bellied", but this is often a sign that it has worms, which kitties have ingested from nursing---if momcat is infected (usually roundworms from eating mice) so will the kittens.
Here's some information on worms: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/parasite.html

I certainly hope you can get her to a vet soon to get these things looked after especially since the bum thingy is infected, as the infection could spread, get into her bloodstream and make her very sick.
All the best to you & Kiko.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM

no worries catlover, your still awsome in my eyes.

i've had a craazy unexplained day today, im gonna write it in another thread lool.

anyhow, im anxious to get kiko to the vet.

today she was easy going. when i washed room with water again, she walked in after me, and was uneasy but i would convince her the same way i'd convince a human and she came in. even got next to the big sweeper thing that would make sew sew become a big furball and howl like crazy. shes a brave little girl. i even put her on my shoulder and walked around, and she was cool, until she made it clear she wanted to get down and i got her down.

one thing im trying to do is make her feel like she can communicate with me, and that i can communicate with her. i learned this from watching Dave Salmoni on TV (a big cat trained with a show on animal planet. its called into the pride). i just didnt grasp the idea with sew sew. i barely even talked with him. so im glad this time im communicating more.

plus, i noticed animals are best off with consistensy(sp.?)

anyhow. thanks a lot people.

PS: Jim Hall, im sure you ment something else, but the only meaning i know that stands behind DUI is Driving Under Intoxication LOL. so im gonna have to look up what DUI means. cause when i first read your post i got so confused lol. anyhow, thanks for the tip, i sure will.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SSS her name is DU...must have been atypo...which means down under...the bed for the longest time...but Jim can tell you that story!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM

SSS - The running really is part of playing. I have one cat, MooBoots, who loves to jump in the air and run away as if I'm a monster when he wants to play. His mom Misty(a stay who was ALREADY pregnant when I found her and is now spayed) likes to be chased she sits and complains if I don't chase. If I stop she comes back, flattens her ears and tries a couple shart runs towards and then awy to get the game started again.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Mostly I'm just glancing at this thread as I browse other threads, but I'll come back and read it thoroughly to see if there's anything I need to respond to.

As for her running up to you and running away, that's absolutely normal. She doesn't have any other kittens to play with so she wants you to play with her. They do that with each other when they want the other kitten to chase them and play.

Kittens can be quite rambunctious. Biting and kicking and running around like crazy is completely normal. It means she's feeling good. You should be worried if she's NOT running around like crazy and she's just being really calm all the time (some kittens are calm, but not most). Kittens really like to chase around little balls, especially ones with the bells in them, so you might want to try some of those to keep her occupied. They also LOVE to climb to stuff, so a cat tree (even one you build yourself, they're not picky as long as they can climb it ) would be a good idea. Cats LOVE to perch up high. Mine sit on my shelves constantly.

They also really like to play with dangly stuff, so you can tie a string to a stick and she'll play with it. They sell specific items like this, so I'm cheap and my cats don't notice the difference, so I don't buy them lol.

Another thing they LOVE, is cardboard boxes. If you throw a bunch of empty cardboard boxes in there with her she'll run in and out of them and play. You can also tape several together and put holes for her to go in and out of, like tunnels.