Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM

adopted another cat, could use some help

hey everyone, i may have said i was done with the forum seeing as how SSS still hasnt returned. but i adopted a new kitten.

i was at work and i heard some loud crying and i rushed over and seen some ignorant middle-aged man holding down this month old kitten by pinching its ears together. i yelled at him, told him how its a sin to do so and basically he backed off.

anyhow, after chasing it for about a good 45 minutes it went into its "Home" which is basically some wood covered with tiles, scrap metal, and some cement bags. which really isnt a place for a kitten, let alone any animal to live in. when i took off the grabage ontop one by one, i noticed insects started to come out, which probably irritated it alot im guessing.

anyhow, after 45 minutes of chasing, i finally caught it, put it in a cat cage-box-thing with the metal door. i put food and water for it to eat aswell.

i took it hoome, cleaned up the room we have in our inner-yard and set up a good enough home.

i put it in the room, and made a little cave-ish structure it could hide in, and waited for it to trust me. it did, its an awsome female.

anyhow, its mother wasnt found, i asked the guy how long its been there, he said a while, and its mother wasnt there.

my problem is that it sucks on this weird...peice of meat next to its anus. i guess its to compensate for the lack of suckling it should be getting.
im guessing it was this weird, infection it had that is being prolonged because it keeps sucking on it. hopefully i can take it to the clinic this week and get it checked up.

i've tried to make it stop, i've tried to make it whool suck instead(dunno if thats a bad idea) but it didnt like that either.

since we dont have baby bottles for kittens, i got the smallest baby bottle nipple-thing i could find, poked a hole in it, and put a little bit of cloth on it, like i did with sew-sew-steve and it worked fine with him.
but this one just wont do it.

so my question is whats a better alternative?

ALSO

my brother seen SSS and it just acted as if my brother was a complete stranger and tried to make itself seem as little visible as it could. i ran into the deserted house my brother said he went into, but no luck.

im just glad hes fine, my brother said he looked just as fat and plump as before, was walking fine, no limping, and he looked clean, basically the exact same.

so for those of you who give a damn, thats that.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi there! where to start?? I am not sure I understand what it is suckling on but it doesnt sound normal especially if its located near the anus?? Any chance you could take her to the vet sooner than later? reason being your kitty likely has worms which they get from the mother and maybe any other type of illness especially if its too young to be off its mom. It will not have received the nutrients that they need from mom to build up their immune system.

Kittens can dehydrate in a very short time. Is it possible for you tp find an eye dropper and force feed her? but she really really should see a vet.

I am going to be blunt here but this is just what I think. I think that you need to take care of your first responsibility which was SSS. Is it fair that you take on another cat while you know he is out there? As I recall he was not fixed yet because he took off before you could get him in. I would suggest you try just as hard to catch SSS as you did this new kitty and take them both in for check ups and spay & neuter.

Its the only way to stop them from having kitty after kitty after kitty!

Please keep SSS and the new kitty apart until they are fixed because your female can still get pregnant at a very young age!

As for the guy that you got the kitty from all I can say is I hope he rots in ^%$#.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM

i have the little kitty in a room, thats inclosed out of danger and whatever else that could come around the corner.

is it fair i have adopted a new kitty while SSS is out and about?

well it depends on how you define fair.
this cat was in quite a dilema, if anything im the best chance its got, so i dont see how there is exactly a problem with taking care of it.
i understand your worry about SSS, but i must admit im not as worried anymore because he was seen and he was fine.
ofcourse, if i see him ill follow him and try to get him back home.

but if anything, he can fend for himself, hes about 100% grown i'd say when i look at him and other cats. but just like this cat, if i find out where he lives or a place he usually congregates to, ill definetly give him a run for his money.

as for the guy who pinched the little kitties ears, he was glad i took the cat in, which is weird i guess, but hes just ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

and alright im gonna take her in ASAP.

but she does eat A LOT.

i mean, i had a litter box set for her, and the next day i came to visit her and the litterbox was completely full, its crazy. shes been obliged to eat whatever she can get her hands on, afterall she had no other way to survive. i giver her milk, but she comes and drinks abit and then runs off, so iunno, its got everything it needs aside from a visit to the vet.

i can post a video up so you guys can tell me if everything is set in the right position in the room?
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I still think that you have a responsibility for SSS and thats it! I am not here to judge you but people need to start taking the responsibilities of pet ownership and at the very least fix them so that they cannot keep adding to the problem. Why does SSS deserve to sleep on the street while you take in the new kitty? not really fair in my eyes. Having said that I do appreciate that your trying to help but I think there are so many more ways you could help and your not?

Your kitty is eating and drinking then. She is likely going to the litter box alot because she is not used to eating alot probably and I wouldnt be surprised if she has worms. Can you post a picture of the thing you mentioned is by her anus?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Are u giving it solid food, like chicken baby food? No spices,,just plain chicken. It might need more than just milk and I think the milk should be the special milk for nursing kittens, not just cows milk. But I think it needs soft food. Maybe if u ahve canned salmon..try giving it a bit of that.

Kittens can die quickly from not having the proper food.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I still think that you have a responsibility for SSS and thats it! I am not here to judge you but people need to start taking the responsibilities of pet ownership and at the very least fix them so that they cannot keep adding to the problem. Why does SSS deserve to sleep on the street while you take in the new kitty? not really fair in my eyes. Having said that I do appreciate that your trying to help but I think there are so many more ways you could help and your not?

im not against people sharing their opinions, im not against discussing things. but if someone is gonna tell me that im not doing the right job, or if what im doing is irressponsible, i expect a suggestion, or any type of help after it.
winston, i respect you, and your opinions, i have no problem with you, infact i find you quite kind and helpful, and i appreciate your honesty and help.

he doesnt, he just wont come home, i dont really know what to do. i never kicked him out. he just doesnt want to come home, maybe its his hormones, i dont know, but there definetly is a place for him if we bring him, thats for sure. i've walked around the neighbourhood a couple a times, a good 20-30 minutes, i would call next to each house and wait for a response and so on and so fourth. not just down the street, i went through a lot of streets, but no response.

Your kitty is eating and drinking then. She is likely going to the litter box alot because she is not used to eating alot probably and I wouldnt be surprised if she has worms. Can you post a picture of the thing you mentioned is by her anus?
sure thing i can post a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hi

Are u giving it solid food, like chicken baby food? No spices,,just plain chicken. It might need more than just milk and I think the milk should be the special milk for nursing kittens, not just cows milk. But I think it needs soft food. Maybe if u ahve canned salmon..try giving it a bit of that.

Kittens can die quickly from not having the proper food.
im giving it the purina dry cat food for all cat ages (the blue one) im going to give it the yellow one (for kittens) when this one finishes.

seeing as how it would eat anything prior to it the cat food, i didnt put water in the food to make it soft in fear that it wouldnt eat it and it would end up rotting. plus its got one hell of a jaw. i mean this thing can bite, i dont remember SSS having this strong a jaw, or having nails as sharp aswell. it really just nibbles abit and runs around playing, and just repeats the process. so it ends up eating a lot., its got constant fresh water, and warm milk available aswell.
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would leave the warm milk out...Can you get some canned or wet food? If not soak the kibble and make it wet and give the kitty that for now.

As fior SSS go and take a look in the vacant house you mentioned. Have your brother help you track him down. Leave some food out and he will come around. Then get him to the vet as well and at the VERY LEAST please have them neuter him. Thats how you can help! That is my suggestion to you.

Once home please figure out a way for him to not escape. I would look into properly introuducing the 2 only after their fixed.

There are lots of ways to make an enclosure for your cats so they dont have to roam. Google it...check out the internet. You could purchase a very large crate enclosure to keep them in while your not able to watch them. Can you teach them to go on a harness eventually? Lots of great ideas out there...

You just need to think it all through and then make it work. Thats how to help.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM

ok, thank you for being clear with me. thats all i wanted, and thats the reason as to why i came to this forum in the begining, to be guided in the right direction, not to argue or defend my religion.

ill take another look in the neighbourhood and ill look into the vacant house.
we did leave food out for him, and we do keep filling the bowl up when its empty, but how do we even know if its SSS? its confusing.

also, about neutering, im still kinda warry.
i understand its for the greater good of the animals. but from the time i've been on here, i've mostly absorbed the fact that animals have rights to many things.
doesnt mating count as one? would we be depriving them of something they aim for in life? to pass on genetics?
its got me really uneasy about the whole thing.

im uploading a video up because i've tried multiple times to take a picture and it just wouldnt work. ill upload the video now.
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i understand its for the greater good of the animals. but from the time i've been on here, i've mostly absorbed the fact that animals have rights to many things.
doesnt mating count as one? would we be depriving them of something they aim for in life? to pass on genetics?
its got me really uneasy about the whole thing.
I think that's an irresponsible way to look at it. Cats can't reason the way humans can. Humans can decide (though they don't always do so) whether it's a good idea to have children. Cats just mate out of instinct and create lots of little kittens that won't have homes or enough to eat. And cats are after all domesticated animals (created by humans) so it's the humans job to take care of them. Getting them fixed so they don't create more starving homeless kittens is one of those responsibilities.
If they were wild animals I could see your reasoning, but we are the ones that bred them to be what they are, so it's our responsibility to care for them and make sure we don't have massive amounts of cats running around on the streets starving and without homes.
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
I think that's an irresponsible way to look at it. Cats can't reason the way humans can. Humans can decide (though they don't always do so) whether it's a good idea to have children. Cats just mate out of instinct and create lots of little kittens that won't have homes or enough to eat. And cats are after all domesticated animals (created by humans) so it's the humans job to take care of them. Getting them fixed so they don't create more starving homeless kittens is one of those responsibilities.
If they were wild animals I could see your reasoning, but we are the ones that bred them to be what they are, so it's our responsibility to care for them and make sure we don't have massive amounts of cats running around on the streets starving and without homes.
yeah that makes sense, i didnt realise humans domesticated them. thanks for your post, im much more re-assured now.

heres the video aswell : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDBA6JMI0Q
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't give too much advice other than the kitten needs to be checked out by a vet. The irritation/swelling around the anus could be related to a lot of things.
I can pretty much guarantee the kitten has parasites having lived outside. Her coat doesn't look very good, and she's walking funny (the walking could be because her anus is irritated, or related to something else)
I don't think you need to be trying to get her to eat milk anymore, she appears old enough to be eating kitten food, though canned would be MUCH better than kibble. Kittens especially won't necessarily drink enough water when eating kibble and can become dehydrated.
So at the least add water to the kibble. But don't let it sit out more than about 20 mins if you add water because wet kibble will start to grow mold and bacteria pretty quick.
And I couldn't tell if you had any sitting out but she needs 24/7 access to fresh water. So she should have a bowl of water and it should be changed at least daily and the bowl cleaned, or changed if pieces of anything get in it.
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

MBIE I pretty much would think the same thing...she is so cute!

Okay now that I have seem where your keeping the kitten is this the same area of the house that your mom wont let you keep the kitty in? OR is this the area the kitten can stay in?

If so this is faboulous! you could make that quite the nice cat room! and bring home SSS and keep him in with kitty (after they are intrduced right and both are health checked!)

You could build some cool cat houses maybe a little bed from pillows or something...

Please get the appointment asap...just imagine walking around with that on your bum!

Does she have a name?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I am not very good with words, the only thing I want to say, is that out there, are enough irresponsible people who hide behind this reason, you don't need to be one of them!!! You need to take responsability for them!!!

If you have doughts, go and read "My name is Sam", and you will see what is going to happend to 99%, of the lil kittens, and puppys that are brought in this world for this irresponsible reason.

Sorry if I'm off topic
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

SSS,I am glad you came back here,your living situation is quiet different from others,we,or at least where I live,I have vet-offices in almost every street corner.
You have a beautiful little Calico-girl,thank you for rescuing her,but something is definitely wrong with her anus she has to see a vet.
As far as SSS goes,I hope you can get him back,but if not, putting food out for him is great,even if some other animal is eating it.
We don't live in Kuwait,but I have traveled enough around the world to know,there are millions of cats/dogs living on the streets,never getting vet-care.
I encourage you to do what you can for this little baby-girl,she will be a beautiful grown cat and if possible please have her spayed,or she will get pregnant at least twice a year,just adding to the problem of stray cats.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Catlover2

Very sweet calico girl. She looks to be around 12 wks. old. She should be eating regular cat food. Don't give her any milk, as most cats don't digest it well and gives them tummy upsets. Can you feed her canned cat food? She should be fed at least three times a day, a couple of heaping spoonfuls each meal. You could leave out a little dry food, but the canned is better for her. Water is fine, just no milk.

Thanks for taking the video. As to her anus, it's hard to tell as it was out of focus exactly what it is, but to me it looks something like a hemorrhoid, or a skin tag, or possibly a hernia, and I can see it's red and irritated from her sucking it. She should see a vet about that.

I don't see any toys for her to play with and she's very active at this stage and needs things to play with. No strings or anything she can swallow, but you can make toys for her---foil balls, toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes to jump in and out of and especially to teeth on, stuffed toy mouse, ball point pen to bat around.

I can see she's pretty wiggly when you pick her up and complaining, but do pick her up and handle her as much as you can. Without litter mates, she likely hasn't learn to control her bite and that why she's chomping down hard. You have to discourage her from doing that, with a firm "No biting!" and a tap on her nose. That's what mamacat would do to discipline her. She actually would benefit from playing with another kitten around her age, where she would learn bite control, and it would give her company. She does seem lonely. Another playmate would probably get her mind off her hind end as well. You should know that calico girls can be pretty determined, bossy and independent and sometimes aren't really cuddly cats, especially as kittens---her complaining when being picked up is typical of that. At least that's my experience. She is darling tho!

Last edited by catlover2; May 8th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
MBIE I pretty much would think the same thing...she is so cute!

Okay now that I have seem where your keeping the kitten is this the same area of the house that your mom wont let you keep the kitty in? OR is this the area the kitten can stay in?

a standard middle class house has a room for a maid and driver in it. the drivers room is within the walls of the house, but not inside the house, its accessed from outside, so its connected but theres no way you could get into the main house from it, you'd have to leave it, walk around to the main inside door and go inside.
so this room is an A OK for it.
speaking of my mother, i just begged her to let me have her inside, seeing as how it needs constant attention and i cant sit in the room for too long without being psychologically tired of it. i just cleaned the room today, and washed the little things feet, so im exhausted, especially after driving 1:30 hours alltogether with no food since morning. i got home, stuffed myself, and then went to the cat, so my body needs some chillin.

If so this is faboulous! you could make that quite the nice cat room! and bring home SSS and keep him in with kitty (after they are intrduced right and both are health checked!)

im hoping she doesnt mind living with us, i love her perosonality. i love SSS too, but right off the bat im getting along much better with her than with SSS. i think SSS is a unique case. shes really physical thats for sure, and has one strong bite and strong sharp claws.

but the thing is, SSS doesnt like chillin inside, i dont know, hes used to the space between the inner walls and the house. i'd leave them there, i think thats suitable, just if they dont go outside. i am starting to think it was the maid who let SSS out.

You could build some cool cat houses maybe a little bed from pillows or something...

ill search up on google how to build cat houses. but there will be sooooooo much cleaning to do

Please get the appointment asap...just imagine walking around with that on your bum!

yeah it wouldnt feel good. but good news, its slowly getting smaller. i think its not as stressed anymore. i read up somewhere and it said they suckle on them selfs to releif stress along with some other things.

Does she have a name?
no! she doesnt have a name, i dont know what to name her, any suggestions? and how do i teach her to know her name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymara View Post
I am not very good with words, the only thing I want to say, is that out there, are enough irresponsible people who hide behind this reason, you don't need to be one of them!!! You need to take responsability for them!!!

If you have doughts, go and read "My name is Sam", and you will see what is going to happend to 99%, of the lil kittens, and puppys that are brought in this world for this irresponsible reason.

Sorry if I'm off topic
no its fine, i have many doubts, im still doubtful. i just asked some people again today and they said it was not right. so im prolly gonna end up doing it, but i wouldnt feel good doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
SSS,I am glad you came back here,your living situation is quiet different from others,we,or at least where I live,I have vet-offices in almost every street corner.

the closest (and only) vet from here is a good 20-30 minutes away. and isnt open all day.

You have a beautiful little Calico-girl,thank you for rescuing her,but something is definitely wrong with her anus she has to see a vet.
As far as SSS goes,I hope you can get him back,but if not, putting food out for him is great,even if some other animal is eating it.
We don't live in Kuwait,but I have traveled enough around the world to know,there are millions of cats/dogs living on the streets,never getting vet-care.

i do miss SSS. lol i remember his "oh crap!" moments haha.

I encourage you to do what you can for this little baby-girl,she will be a beautiful grown cat and if possible please have her spayed,or she will get pregnant at least twice a year,just adding to the problem of stray cats.
ok, ill get her spayed, but when exactly do i do that? and how old must she be to get a shot? i've heard of kittens and puppies dying here because they were too young for their shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Very sweet calico girl. She looks to be around 12 wks. old. She should be eating regular cat food. Don't give her any milk, as most cats don't digest it well and gives them tummy upsets. Can you feed her canned cat food? She should be fed at least three times a day, a couple of heaping spoonfuls each meal. You could leave out a little dry food, but the canned is better for her. Water is fine, just no milk.

thank god, making milk is a hassle.

today i had money that was only enough for me to eat, or for her to eat. so after driving 30 minutes to work, i bought her a can of food, and drove back, gave her two generous teaspoons full, put some water in it, mashed it up, and set it for her with some water. she finished it easy. she pooped the canned food and it was on the verge of dhiarria(sp.?) and constipation.

oh, and she stepped in it and then hopped out the litter box and walked around, so i had to clean the whole room with water, clorox, and some detergent poweder. threw the mixture on the ground, moved it around the room, and pushed it out, and then i got water and did the same thing.
is that ok ? i put her in once the room was 80% dry.

Thanks for taking the video. As to her anus, it's hard to tell as it was out of focus exactly what it is, but to me it looks something like a hemorrhoid, or a skin tag, or possibly a hernia, and I can see it's red and irritated from her sucking it. She should see a vet about that.

will do once i get my paycheck.

I don't see any toys for her to play with and she's very active at this stage and needs things to play with. No strings or anything she can swallow, but you can make toys for her---foil balls, toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes to jump in and out of and especially to teeth on, stuffed toy mouse, ball point pen to bat around.

i had a strign before, but i threw it away in fear of it causing digestion problems. im thinking of getting her a small rubber ball and tying some things here and there.

I can see she's pretty wiggly when you pick her up and complaining, but do pick her up and handle her as much as you can. Without litter mates, she likely hasn't learn to control her bite and that why she's chomping down hard. You have to discourage her from doing that, with a firm "No biting!" and a tap on her nose. That's what mamacat would do to discipline her. She actually would benefit from playing with another kitten around her age, where she would learn bite control, and it would give her company. She does seem lonely. Another playmate would probably get her mind off her hind end as well. You should know that calico girls can be pretty determined, bossy and independent and sometimes aren't really cuddly cats, especially as kittens---her complaining when being picked up is typical of that. At least that's my experience. She is darling tho!
yes, i've seen all those sides of her between the time i first seen her, and the time i caught her.
shes one of the strongest kittens i've ever seen, meant real business. when she was in the cage and i put my finger near it, she slammed her paws down and charged lol, they usually just hiss.
shes also much more agile, stronger, and independant than SSS was when he was her age.

but basically, i have to show her im boss? or just let her do her thing? cause i read somewhere that cats see us as their property, and not us as their owners, so im confused. any tips on how to "tame" her?

also

i tried being firm when she bites me, but thats only when i touch her, she wrestles and bites, not too hard. think shes got that down, i mean, i can feel her feeling out how to bite. its the same case with SSS, he doesnt bite hard, just on the verge of being painful, oh well. i do try and be calm and nice with her, i use my hand as a toy, i know that makes her more aggressive, but ill get to making a toy sometime or another. shes got a couple bottle capts that she plays soccer with.

oh, when i finished recording the video, i was still in the same position, and she climbed up my thigh, up my back and onto my shoulders, and then jumped off, which is amazing to me, cause like i said SSS could never do that at her age. hes only once ever climbed up my back to see what was going on somewhere up high when he was about 7 months old.

anyhow, thanks for the support.

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 9th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM

First, it usually doesn't pay to be too rough with cats. If you are rough they will attack back out of fear or get so scared they hide and won't come to you.
Get her used to the idea that having you near means good things. Put her food on a spoon and hold the spoon while she eats. Take a book and read out loud to her, so she learns your voice. Tie a string to the end of a stick (fishing pole style) and move it around for her to chase. She will learn over time that having you near means food and petting and play and will mostly come when called. My last cat was good about coming when called except when I tried to show off her abilities to friends.
(NO matter what animal there is never 100% guarantee of obedience, there is always the chance that this will be the one time they won't answer, no matter how well trained they are.)
Second, cat houses and toys out of cardboard boxes are easy. Just take a box and cut holes in the side. Take a flat box, cut lots of holes, and hide a toy under while she watches. A big box with several holes makes a jungle gym. IF they get too dirty just throw them out. The scraps can be used to make more toys, maybe by tying them onto your fishing rod toy
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Catlover2

Sorry about the diarrhea....my bad!!! forgot to tell you that any food changes should be done gradually, a little at a time, over about 3 days. Hopefully she'll be ok in a couple of days. You don't really have to mix the canned food with water as it has quite a bit of water in it already. A separate water dish is OK.

She could be spayed in about a month or so (around 4 mos. of age), and at the same time the vet may fix her hernia or whatever it is. And give her shots at the same time. As long as she's isolated in her room, she won't pick up anything. To be on the safe side, always wash your hands before you handle her.

If you're thinking of a companion kitty for her, do not get SSS he's too old for her and sexually mature (and would rape her---yes males do that). A kitty her own age and size (opposite sex would be better) would be ideal.

Every time you see her, say her name, whatever you want to call her (Cali? for calico, not too original, but better than just 'kitty'). Soon she'll respond to it, especially if you call her to "come", and have a treat ready to give her.

As for "show her im boss", she is a young kitten after all and play is her game. Best thing to do is sit or lie on the floor and let her crawl in your lap---you can use a string or cord to drag around you and into your lap and she'll love chasing it. Just don't leave it behind for her to play with on her own. Kittens her age are really in a very wild and rambuctious stage anyway, and want to bite and play. If she bites hard, you could make an "ow" sound or a sound like a kitty in pain, this usually makes kitty back off and she'll know she's gone too far. Remember she's not trying to hurt you intentionally, she doesn't know any better and is just playing. Pick her up and cuddle her, stroke her fur backwards up her neck and head like a mamacat would. When she gets too wiggly just put her gently back down on the floor. Hopefully she'll come to want more of that petting, but she's more intent right now playing instead of wanting to cuddle.

If she's quiet and settled you can start touching her paws and ears gently. Push gently on paws to extend the claws---this is practice for clipping her claws. Best to clip claws when she's completely relaxed or asleep, just snip off the ends of the claws with nail clippers, and be careful that you don't cut into the vein in the claw. If she's awake when you clip, give her a treat afterwards, so she associates claw clipping as a good experience.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM

you cant imagine how glad i am from reading these two very informative responses. this makes me happy because i feel like im really learning and im more able to communicate and interact with her.

i do think shes too young to show her im boss. matter a fact, i dont want to show her im boss, i want her to be a companion even though shes quite fiesty.
i was wondering how to teach her name thats a good idea.

i already took a box, opened the top, and put a whole on the side and put the side with the hole close to the wall, and put her litter box inside. to minimize odor and mess.

i did think of making cardboard houses and stuff.

also, her little pimple thing is slowly shrinking, which is awsome, but not enough for me to cancel a vet check up, a very close friend of mine has insisted that he pays for everything and would like to go this time this week. im uneasy about anyone taking care of my expenses, but i guess this cant wait.

anyhow, she has calmed downabit longer when i pick her up. when she eats she gets food on her paws sometimes, and then goes to the litter box and does her thing. since i now know shes got food mixed with litterbox content on her paws, i take her to the nearest washroom and rinse her paws, and then dry them as much i can. shes eeh, when it comes to being in the sink. but definetly calmer than sew sew even in his adult age. speaking of SSS i didnt know male cats rape baby cats O_O holy *****.

also, i moved her into the house, on the third floor but in a secluded place, so its much easier on me to go to her, as opposed to going outside and making long trips back and forth. this way i can check up on her quick.

its also got a gutter with a lid on it which makes cleaning much easier and quicker, and a odor-sucking-fan thing we have in our bathrooms. i put a barrier so it cant get out. i chilled with it until it got comfortable enough to play and eat, thats when i left to get on the computer.

about the biting, i (up until logging on yesterday) would let her feel out her own power. im also feeling out her power too.
if im playing with her and wrestling, she bites, but not hard. the power depends on how long i wrestle with her.
i honestly dont mind the bites as long as she doesnt try and hurt me, if she does, i wait for her to releive abit of the power and slowly take my hand away.

the cuddling thing with the backwards petting is gonna help a lot i think.

anyhow, shes really much more domesticated then when i first met her, thanks a lot, ill keep you guys updated.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Catlover2

Good news! sounds like you're developing a beautiful relationship with your girl, and kudos to your friend who wants to help you out financially. That's gr8! Good of you to wash off her paws as you don't want her eating litter as that can cause compaction in bowels and result in and severe constipation. When you take her to the vet, she should also be treated for worms, as most feral kittens have them. You're doing a good job. Enjoy!
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

SSS,sounds like you are beginning to get the hang of it all
Cali is a good name for a little Calico-girl,I don't know if you know,but Calico-cats are almost always female,I'd say 99,9%.
Kittens always bite and playfight,when you play with her,use a stick with a string attached,not your hands.
Although my hands looked like road-maps every time I had a kitten,I did not mind the biting etc..much.
Good of your friend to take care of Cali's expences
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:33 AM

yeah hes has a cat for about 10 years now, its a female calico too.

that makes sense seeing as how i usually imagine them as female when i think of them.

despite him having the cat for 10 years, he is still learning the reasons to their behaviors from me because i do light research here and there.
so basically hes seen it all, but understands a lot more when he knows the reasons as to why they do what they do.

anyhow,

bad news, when i got home from work today i walked up the steps to see my mom laying on the couch looking really exhausted. can you take a good guess?

yep, her allergies came back.

so basically. i put Kiko (yes i decided to name her that) back to her old room with a bathroom right next to it, but this time, i opened the door. so shes got a bunch of space to go out and about but ofcourse its within the walls around our house.

since the outside gate is a bit too high off the ground to stop kiko from crawling under, i put a whole buncha plants at the doors so she cant get out.

so shes still in good shape, but she doesnt live inside anymore.
besides, cats like to explore, so im sure this is good for her.

i cant stay with her all day though, because i come home, take care of her right away, and THEN go inside, change my clothes, drink a nice big glass of cold water and eat. so my body is always exhausted. =/

hopefully this thursday-sunday i can take her for a checkup.

oh, interesting thing happened. i have this blanket SSS used to chill on. i've always forgotten to pick it up, so today while i was "re-exploring" the area with her, she went near it, smelled it and took off the opposite way lol. gotta get rid of it i guess. been outside too long anyhow.

Qustion though

i have the clumping kinda litter box stuff. the problem i have is that.. at the bottom some of the little pebbles are just wet and they arent clumbed, and theres peices of poop scattered in it that fall through the pooper scooper i use.

so is it time to change the whole thing? or do i just add to it?

ill just use sand if i have to clean it and then change it back to clumping clay when i get my money.

anyhow, thank you for acknowledging what little progress i've made
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 11th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Kitty pimp

well its too bad about your mom
let her have somethong outside of yours i get some towels when i finish with them i let the cat curl up on it it wants to smell you she sounds really bonded to you

Spend as much time with her as you can, and try to do it on as regular a schedule as you can.

Cats are escape artists you know

sand is ok in a pinch, but heres the tirck with litter boxes
give it a rapid shake back and forth 2 or 3 times that helps seperate it from the bottom get a smaller strainer too
if its clay, make sure its deep enough at least 4 inchs 10-15 centimeters
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Catlover2

Hi, Kiko is a good name! Sorry to hear about your Mom's allergies.

I guess I'd be worried that the gate is not secure and that she could somehow squeeze out underneath, or something (another cat) could squeeze or push through to get inside. Cats can squeeze through amazingly small spaces you wouldn't believe. Would a board or some wire mesh attached to bottom of the gate work better? Have a hard time picturing exactly how it is. Is it a courtyard? With all the time and work you've had with Kiko, I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose her. The courtyard will cetainly give her something more to play and explore. Kiko may also enjoy sleeping on an old T shirt with your scent on it.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:34 AM

yeah i put like two of my shirts on her little basket thing for her to sit on. i've done that multiple times with SSS too. funny thing is we didnt do it thinking it would make it like us lol.

anyhow, i put a long strip of wood infront of the hole, and THEN put the plants infront to enfroce its position. trust me other cats cant get through, because if this were true, SSS would have escaped a long time ago that way. its too small.

but theres one gate that we use to go out of the house.

ill record a video right now and post it on youtube later within the day hopefully.

please forgive me jim, but i didnt quite understand the litterbox thing. i shake the litter box two or tree times to seperate the poop peices and then put it into a strainer? :S im not too familiar with all cat tools.

anyhow , the little hernia-pimple-looseskin thing is here to stay i guess, its gotten smaller, but its still there. hopefully tomorrow i can take her for a checkup. anyhow, im abou to go out right now and chill with kiko for a little.

cool thing is i think it gets that its name is kiko now. anyhow, it doesnt like being picked up, infact when i try to cuddle it, it does that thing where it opens its jaw and waits for an oppertunity to bite my hand. so i dont know.

i pet it while it eats and drinks though. when i play with the string i have, i put it up my back so it climbs up lol. and i also put it on my lap too.

but i dont know why it sleeps in the washroom next to its litter box and not in its basket.

you know what, you'll see in the video.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM

heres a walkthrough of our courtyard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tuQWag6MOk

heres a video of kiko playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Lku...eature=channel
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Catlover2

Thanks so much for the video. Get the picture now....you certainly have a lot of space, and it's not exactly the type of courtyard I had in mind, especially with all the corridors. Anyway, the way you have the board set up at bottom of gate, it doesn't look like Kiko can get under it to get out. My hubby looked at the video and his suggestion is to screw some kind of flexible sweep, semi-rigid, maybe some kind of plastic or rubber onto bottom of gate, so that it flexes when you open the door, but too hard for a cat to get open. The maid has shown herself to be unreliable to put things back as they were, so don't count on her to put the board and plants back in place! Tho I would be concerned when Kiko's older that she'll be able to scale the wall as it's not that high, and being of concrete, it's rough enough she would be able jump high enough and to climb up it with her claws---definitely move that white lawn chair away from the wall! Kiko really is absolutely adorable and beautifully marked with her spots and looks to be very healthy and bouncey just as she should be for her age.

She definitely likes the bathroom, as her room to hang out when she wants to feel safe, and I can see why she isn't using her bed, as it's in too open a space and too far away from her litterbox. So I would move it in the bathroom where her litter box is probably in a corner. She definitely is responding to your voice and her name, and communicating with you. Don't get discouraged if she isn't a cuddle bunny, as at that stage most kittens aren't and just want to play. But she is trusting you and enjoying you as her playmate, otherwise she would be hiding out away from you in her litterbox and not wanting to interact with you at all, and she's not doing that. She's coming on your lap and leg and showing affection in her way by playing and rubbing against your hand, and lying on your leg--however briefly, but that's trust and affection.

But, believe me, she does look lonely in such a big space without a companion kitty to play with, and I do encourage you to find another playmate for her if you can do so. She's having to spend a lot of her time while you're at work alone and also all night. As I said before, one about same size and age, and a male kitty would be ideal, one that looks healthy with no runny eyes or nose which is a sign of sickness. Kittens at this age accept another very easily, not always the case when they're a few months older. Maybe when you visit the vet he knows of a kitten? Here, quite a number of people drop off kittens at a vet and leave them. Don't know if that's the way it is in Kuwait. Do they have an animal shelter? Or do people advertise "free kittens" with a sign near their house? You're doing a good job! Kiko has a good daddy!

Last edited by catlover2; May 12th, 2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Additional info. - a "sweep" for the gate doors and other thoughts.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww SSS,she is sch a pretty little girl and does exactly what any kitten I've ever had does.
Your court-yard looks exactly the way I imagined,all the tiles and cement looks a little cold for a kitten,do you possibly have an old little carpet to put out for her.
I agree with catlover2,cats like to sleep in a place where they feel safe and I would also put more in her bed,like a blanket,or more things that smell of you,she needs to be able to cuddle in to something.
Yes,she is lonely,would be soooo much happier with a little friend,I have never ever had just one cat and 2 kittens are so much fun to watch
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:36 AM

i keep going to write a reply but for some reason, the internet cuts out when i go to press submit.

so im gonna make this short and quick.

just like to say thanks to the awsome feedback!

- my mom is ok with me getting a new playmate for her.
- i need to know how to introduce them.
-im gonna look into installing rubber strips at the bottom of the gates.
- two days ago it was 40 degrees C so the tiles are hot if not warm most of the time.
- how do i cool down kiko? she is not drinking her water and just panting.
i took some water and put it on her back to help cool her down i dont know if thats ok or not.
- i moved her basket to the washroom, and i have two t-shirts of mine in it.
- no one puts signs up here for kitty adoption here, its different than in canada. i will ask a vet if they have any, if not, ill look into the animal shelter.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

SSS,I am glad you are taking our advice
A little kitten can die from dehydration and heat,it is crucial she has a shady spot to cool off and water..maybe you could give her water in a syringe or something like it,the vet can probably help you with that.
You can also add water to her food..

One of my cats had a heatstroke on a very hot summerday,it was very scary,but he is an adult cat and recovered.
Where you are it's probably a dry desert heat,but still dangerous if she does not get hydrated.
I am sure cooling her off with a little water helps.