Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM

adopted another cat, could use some help

hey everyone, i may have said i was done with the forum seeing as how SSS still hasnt returned. but i adopted a new kitten.

i was at work and i heard some loud crying and i rushed over and seen some ignorant middle-aged man holding down this month old kitten by pinching its ears together. i yelled at him, told him how its a sin to do so and basically he backed off.

anyhow, after chasing it for about a good 45 minutes it went into its "Home" which is basically some wood covered with tiles, scrap metal, and some cement bags. which really isnt a place for a kitten, let alone any animal to live in. when i took off the grabage ontop one by one, i noticed insects started to come out, which probably irritated it alot im guessing.

anyhow, after 45 minutes of chasing, i finally caught it, put it in a cat cage-box-thing with the metal door. i put food and water for it to eat aswell.

i took it hoome, cleaned up the room we have in our inner-yard and set up a good enough home.

i put it in the room, and made a little cave-ish structure it could hide in, and waited for it to trust me. it did, its an awsome female.

anyhow, its mother wasnt found, i asked the guy how long its been there, he said a while, and its mother wasnt there.

my problem is that it sucks on this weird...peice of meat next to its anus. i guess its to compensate for the lack of suckling it should be getting.
im guessing it was this weird, infection it had that is being prolonged because it keeps sucking on it. hopefully i can take it to the clinic this week and get it checked up.

i've tried to make it stop, i've tried to make it whool suck instead(dunno if thats a bad idea) but it didnt like that either.

since we dont have baby bottles for kittens, i got the smallest baby bottle nipple-thing i could find, poked a hole in it, and put a little bit of cloth on it, like i did with sew-sew-steve and it worked fine with him.
but this one just wont do it.

so my question is whats a better alternative?

ALSO

my brother seen SSS and it just acted as if my brother was a complete stranger and tried to make itself seem as little visible as it could. i ran into the deserted house my brother said he went into, but no luck.

im just glad hes fine, my brother said he looked just as fat and plump as before, was walking fine, no limping, and he looked clean, basically the exact same.

so for those of you who give a damn, thats that.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi there! where to start?? I am not sure I understand what it is suckling on but it doesnt sound normal especially if its located near the anus?? Any chance you could take her to the vet sooner than later? reason being your kitty likely has worms which they get from the mother and maybe any other type of illness especially if its too young to be off its mom. It will not have received the nutrients that they need from mom to build up their immune system.

Kittens can dehydrate in a very short time. Is it possible for you tp find an eye dropper and force feed her? but she really really should see a vet.

I am going to be blunt here but this is just what I think. I think that you need to take care of your first responsibility which was SSS. Is it fair that you take on another cat while you know he is out there? As I recall he was not fixed yet because he took off before you could get him in. I would suggest you try just as hard to catch SSS as you did this new kitty and take them both in for check ups and spay & neuter.

Its the only way to stop them from having kitty after kitty after kitty!

Please keep SSS and the new kitty apart until they are fixed because your female can still get pregnant at a very young age!

As for the guy that you got the kitty from all I can say is I hope he rots in ^%$#.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM

i have the little kitty in a room, thats inclosed out of danger and whatever else that could come around the corner.

is it fair i have adopted a new kitty while SSS is out and about?

well it depends on how you define fair.
this cat was in quite a dilema, if anything im the best chance its got, so i dont see how there is exactly a problem with taking care of it.
i understand your worry about SSS, but i must admit im not as worried anymore because he was seen and he was fine.
ofcourse, if i see him ill follow him and try to get him back home.

but if anything, he can fend for himself, hes about 100% grown i'd say when i look at him and other cats. but just like this cat, if i find out where he lives or a place he usually congregates to, ill definetly give him a run for his money.

as for the guy who pinched the little kitties ears, he was glad i took the cat in, which is weird i guess, but hes just ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

and alright im gonna take her in ASAP.

but she does eat A LOT.

i mean, i had a litter box set for her, and the next day i came to visit her and the litterbox was completely full, its crazy. shes been obliged to eat whatever she can get her hands on, afterall she had no other way to survive. i giver her milk, but she comes and drinks abit and then runs off, so iunno, its got everything it needs aside from a visit to the vet.

i can post a video up so you guys can tell me if everything is set in the right position in the room?
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I still think that you have a responsibility for SSS and thats it! I am not here to judge you but people need to start taking the responsibilities of pet ownership and at the very least fix them so that they cannot keep adding to the problem. Why does SSS deserve to sleep on the street while you take in the new kitty? not really fair in my eyes. Having said that I do appreciate that your trying to help but I think there are so many more ways you could help and your not?

Your kitty is eating and drinking then. She is likely going to the litter box alot because she is not used to eating alot probably and I wouldnt be surprised if she has worms. Can you post a picture of the thing you mentioned is by her anus?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Are u giving it solid food, like chicken baby food? No spices,,just plain chicken. It might need more than just milk and I think the milk should be the special milk for nursing kittens, not just cows milk. But I think it needs soft food. Maybe if u ahve canned salmon..try giving it a bit of that.

Kittens can die quickly from not having the proper food.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I still think that you have a responsibility for SSS and thats it! I am not here to judge you but people need to start taking the responsibilities of pet ownership and at the very least fix them so that they cannot keep adding to the problem. Why does SSS deserve to sleep on the street while you take in the new kitty? not really fair in my eyes. Having said that I do appreciate that your trying to help but I think there are so many more ways you could help and your not?

im not against people sharing their opinions, im not against discussing things. but if someone is gonna tell me that im not doing the right job, or if what im doing is irressponsible, i expect a suggestion, or any type of help after it.
winston, i respect you, and your opinions, i have no problem with you, infact i find you quite kind and helpful, and i appreciate your honesty and help.

he doesnt, he just wont come home, i dont really know what to do. i never kicked him out. he just doesnt want to come home, maybe its his hormones, i dont know, but there definetly is a place for him if we bring him, thats for sure. i've walked around the neighbourhood a couple a times, a good 20-30 minutes, i would call next to each house and wait for a response and so on and so fourth. not just down the street, i went through a lot of streets, but no response.

Your kitty is eating and drinking then. She is likely going to the litter box alot because she is not used to eating alot probably and I wouldnt be surprised if she has worms. Can you post a picture of the thing you mentioned is by her anus?
sure thing i can post a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hi

Are u giving it solid food, like chicken baby food? No spices,,just plain chicken. It might need more than just milk and I think the milk should be the special milk for nursing kittens, not just cows milk. But I think it needs soft food. Maybe if u ahve canned salmon..try giving it a bit of that.

Kittens can die quickly from not having the proper food.
im giving it the purina dry cat food for all cat ages (the blue one) im going to give it the yellow one (for kittens) when this one finishes.

seeing as how it would eat anything prior to it the cat food, i didnt put water in the food to make it soft in fear that it wouldnt eat it and it would end up rotting. plus its got one hell of a jaw. i mean this thing can bite, i dont remember SSS having this strong a jaw, or having nails as sharp aswell. it really just nibbles abit and runs around playing, and just repeats the process. so it ends up eating a lot., its got constant fresh water, and warm milk available aswell.
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would leave the warm milk out...Can you get some canned or wet food? If not soak the kibble and make it wet and give the kitty that for now.

As fior SSS go and take a look in the vacant house you mentioned. Have your brother help you track him down. Leave some food out and he will come around. Then get him to the vet as well and at the VERY LEAST please have them neuter him. Thats how you can help! That is my suggestion to you.

Once home please figure out a way for him to not escape. I would look into properly introuducing the 2 only after their fixed.

There are lots of ways to make an enclosure for your cats so they dont have to roam. Google it...check out the internet. You could purchase a very large crate enclosure to keep them in while your not able to watch them. Can you teach them to go on a harness eventually? Lots of great ideas out there...

You just need to think it all through and then make it work. Thats how to help.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown