Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
chronically insane.

I just noticed my cat is missing an extreme amount of teeth

Hey all. So, just by accident earlier when my cat was yawning I noticed he is missing almost all his teeth from the front of his mouth.. the small row of teeth on the top and bottom between the canines. There are only 2 small teeth left and the one is crooked and looks like it will fall out soon.

If it helps any, it's this cat

Anyways.. this is the cat that is a bit.. "special".. he's not very bright and plays VERY rough and often walks into walls/doors/furniture. I suspect his teeth have been accidentally knocked out from all the mishaps he's had. I don't recall my vet saying anything at his last visit, but perhaps my vet just overlooked that because otherwise this cat is in AMAZING health. Other than being a complete dofus he's a great cat.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before and if there is anything I need to do. It's just quite shocking. I don't think I've ever seen a cat this young missing so many teeth... he's going to be 3 in May. I've had him since the day he was born (his mom was a stray I had a hard time catching and she had the litter on our back patio).

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry I can't answer your question about the teeth,,but do u think maybe he has something wrong with his eyes and can't see well that is why he runs into walls and stuff? He sure a pretty cat!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, Sweet Pea lost all her tiny teeth and we didn't realize it until she went for her dental last fall.

The vet thought it was from her stray days of eating a very poor diet though and having who knows how many litters.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
sorry I can't answer your question about the teeth,,but do u think maybe he has something wrong with his eyes and can't see well that is why he runs into walls and stuff? He sure a pretty cat!
He seems to see okay, but his eyes wander sometimes which is why i posted that picture, because he will cross his eyes and stuff. I think he's missing a few chromosomes.

Also he is now starting to have a really bad cough, and I think it is totally unrelated, so I think I am going to go ahead and take him to the vets tomorrow if possible.

Old March 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Skylar's Farm

We often joke that my kitty needs eyeglasses, but she is more klutzy when she is tired.
I don't know about the missing teeth issue.....
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,I don't know either,but he sure is a beauty
Maybe he had a gum disease that went undetected and his teeth got loose and fell out.
Hopefully his cough is nothing serious
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good idea to take him to the vet. Is that pic of him recent? Let's hope he's ok.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Good idea to take him to the vet. Is that pic of him recent? Let's hope he's ok.
It's from a few weeks ago. I mean otherwise he's good and I've never noticed the teeth thing, but I think he got sick from my foster kitten because he's very lethargic and not really interested in food. This is the one that is normally doing backflips off the walls and eating anything in sight. So, I'm going to get in to see the vets tomorrow and mention the teeth problem too. I'll let you guys know what he says about both.

Old March 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
chronically insane.

GREAT. To make matters worse two of my foster kittens littermates died unexpectedly today. She's doing okay but the remaining survivors are going to go be tested for exposure to FeLV or something. She was tested but who the hell knows what that breeder exposed this litter to!!! And my poor kitty.. he is still coughing I'm going to go have a mental breakdown now, BRB

Old March 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,so very sorry about the kittenslittle ones

that the others will make it,with your help and of course for your beautiful "dofus"(no name)
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Kathryn,so very sorry about the kittenslittle ones

that the others will make it,with your help and of course for your beautiful "dofus"(no name)
Thanks. We are back from the vets! Oh his name is Mr. Kitten LOL I just call him my Squishy Pants and any other number of names..

He got bloodwork done hence the nifty bandages His x-rays showed irritation of his airways from all the coughing.

The bloodwork won't be back until tomorrow, but it appears his illness is NOT related to my foster kittens URI. My vet said everything suggests he ingested a foreign object that was possibly toxic. He spit up blood at the vets office and his gums were inflamed. There were no visible blockages in his stomach, so if it was a foreign object he probably already passed it.. we are keeping him on the Clavamox pills for now and he may need steroids depending on what the bloodwork comes back for.

As for the missing teeth, my vet said he had no idea but that it was the least of our worries right now. He really wasn't too concerned about it, more worried about the blood, vomit, coughing etc.

hoping my Squishy gets better soon!!

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
-

I hope the bloodwork results don't show anything too serious.

He's so handsome and I think we need a new name.
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Kathryn,look at those bandages on his little legs,he is such a beautiful cathe'll be ok..
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
~Cat Servent~

aw poor guy! hope he's feeling better soon!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's a beautiful cat, kathryn. Is he feeling any better tonight?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
He's a beautiful cat, kathryn. Is he feeling any better tonight?
Not really. He is on Clavamox tabs and his bloodwork should be back tomorrow to decide if we need to do anything else. He projectile vomited all over the wall when he was sitting on the cat perch in the window. He threw up atleast 5 times today, the most recent was about an hour ago of course RIGHT after I finished spot shampooing the other spots her barfed at

So, naked kitty aka Amira is crated in my room for now, and my room is blocked off with Mr. Kitten quarantined until he is feeling better.

He did not have a fever at the vets office which is why we are suspicious that he ingested a foreign object. I'm supposed to be volunteering at a shelter tomorrow but I had to call out because I'm sure I am going to be up all night dealing with him.

He's okay right now, sleeping it off next to my bed. I have a big thing of water out for him and 3 dishes of different wet food so he can pick what he wants. He went for the Evangers Turkey & Squash and kept MOST of it down

I get the bloodwork back tomorrow and I have to run back there anyways to pay off the almost $300 vet bill I had to borrow money off someone because I have a whole $12 to my name this week.

I love that my vet isn't even surprised about the crap I tell him anymore. I was telling him about my naked kitty and all the stuff going on and the URI and blah blah blah and he just looked at me, sighed, and walked away.

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM
chronically insane.

The mystery has been solved.. my cousin did own up to the cat eating a chicken bone from his fried chicken that he had been eating all week Well he didn't own up to me but to someone else.

Oh well.. the cat is recovering slowly.. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vets incase of anything else showing up from his bloodwork.

I told my mom (my cousin is my age my aunt kicked him out for being a bum) he owes me about 300 bucks from his first paycheck from his new job

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,could that chicken-bone be stuck somewhere,that's why he is vomiting??
But of course,that would mean an X-Ray
What a jerk(your cousin)but maybe he did not know better.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Kathryn,could that chicken-bone be stuck somewhere,that's why he is vomiting??
But of course,that would mean an X-Ray
What a jerk(your cousin)but maybe he did not know better.
He had a few x-rays yesterday that did not show an obstruction or any damage to his innards. So I think the bone has made it's way out from either end and his stomach probably just really hurts and his esophagus and mouth are all scrapped up from the splinters.

He is keeping some food down though, it just hasn't made it's way threw yet. He has peed though, so that's good.

My cousin is a complete moron. He is a few months older than me. He is staying here because he got kicked out by my aunt because he wouldn't get a job.. almost 20 years old and never worked a day in his life. He has the mind of a 12 year old boy.

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
chronically insane.

Bloodwork showed elevated pancreatic levels.. could lead to pancreatitis if we don't get the barfing under control. He's hanging in there, keeping down some food. Another level that was elevated was some sort of protein level I wasn't familiar with that is only elevated with "trauma" to soft tissue/muscle.

So from the conclusions, either my cousin was playing too rough with Mr. Kitten and caused him to have a serious injury to his abdomen OR the chicken bone scenario. I think the chicken bone is more likely but my cousin was also playing VERY rough with my cats since he's been here and more than once I saw him cause Mr. Kitten to take a fall off furniture or down the stairs. He's such an idiot And my mom is up on her soap box defending him saying I can't "prove anything" Why does everyone always take pity on this kid? Let's see, my cat nearly DIES and it just happens to be while he has been staying here and apparently I'm the bad guy by being upset about it?

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM

vet appointments are expensive, kicking out your cousin is free, living on the streets might wise him up a bit.
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
vet appointments are expensive, kicking out your cousin is free, living on the streets might wise him up a bit.
THANK YOU Maybe my mom should see that before he injures anymore of my critters!!

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
-

Does your mom ever see your cousin treat the cats roughly? Is your cousin staying with you permanently? I know you have lots of cats but does he only do it with this one cat? If so, can you keep him in your room?

Glad Mr Kitty is doing okay and hope he does not develop pancreatitis.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
-

Oh, and does anyone have any suggestions for a new name for this handsome boy?
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Does your mom ever see your cousin treat the cats roughly? Is your cousin staying with you permanently? I know you have lots of cats but does he only do it with this one cat? If so, can you keep him in your room?

Glad Mr Kitty is doing okay and hope he does not develop pancreatitis.
Yeah, she has seen it. He rough houses with ALL my cats he can get his hands on. He complained to me earlier that he doesn't understand why my cats are avoiding him And then he went over and proceeded to poke Socks in the face repeatedly until she hissed at him and ran off and he giggled. He's not violent or anything, he's just a complete idiot. She lets him get away with it too

He has been particularly rough with Mr. Kitten because Mr. Kitten likes to play rough back, so I imagine he may have also unintentionally injured him besides with the chicken bone incident. He's locked in my room now and has been since Monday morning.

My cousin should be leaving to go back to live with my grandmoms any day now I'm trying to get him out ASAP before he hurts anyone else. He took one of my geckos out earlier WITHOUT my permission and was handling her totally incorrectly. I looked at him and nearly had a stroke and my mom pulled him aside and she claims she told him to cut the crap. He also knocked Amira off the sofa the other day and almost broke her little legs, and also SAT on my FIV+ cat when she was taking a nap on the sofa because he couldn't be bothered to look where he was about to sit.

Basically, it's like having a toddler running around with ADHD, except he is like 6 foot and 150lbs and almost 20 and doesn't quite understand that he is creating chaos.

And I'm about to strangle him.

Quote:
Oh, and does anyone have any suggestions for a new name for this handsome boy?
LOL, It's a little late to be changing his name at almost 3 years old

Oh, and his brothers name is Mr. Sniffles

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM
-

It sounds like your cousin could do with some type of therapy before it's too late .....I hope someone realizes it soon.

Mr Kitten and Mr Sniffles are both so cute. All I can think of at the moment is Bert and Ernie ....hope someone else comes up with a better idea.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
It sounds like your cousin could do with some type of therapy before it's too late .....I hope someone realizes it soon.

Mr Kitten and Mr Sniffles are both so cute. All I can think of at the moment is Bert and Ernie ....hope someone else comes up with a better idea.
UMMM YESSS He was in court mandated therapy because he passed out while he was driving and rammed his car into a tree and wasn't wearing a seatbelt and nearly killed himself and spazzed out afterwards, and as soon as the court time wore off he quit therapy and has been on a total downward spiral since. I was trying to be nice by letting him crash on my couch and I was feeding him and whatnot and he repays me by nearly killing all my pets

@ Bert and Ernie.

I usually just call them Dumb & Dumber