Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

View Poll Results: Your Dog's Name Fits Which Theme/s?
Drink 2 5.00%
Place/Geography 4 10.00%
Climate 1 2.50%
Gemstones 2 5.00%
Colour 2 5.00%
Movies 3 7.50%
Celebrities 3 7.50%
People Name 13 32.50%
Language 1 2.50%
Other 19 47.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Does Your Dog's Name Fit a Theme?

Thought this might be fun and you can vote more than once for the same dog. Often we use a theme when naming our pets. It might fit with their breed or place the breed originated from. And as pointed out in another name thread, what is common where you live might be really unique somewhere else. I know a Swedish Gal who simply named her female Rottie Gummah, which she said meant Little Girl.

1. Drink - I know there are probably many Baileys, for example, which is a liquor. I'm not fond of beer but think Lager would be a good name.

2. Place/Geography - as in a town, state, etc. name. Also any feature such as water, desert, mountains etc, that are not place names.

3. Climatic Names - such as related to cold weather, or wind for example

4. Gemstones -

5. Colour - are there still any dogs called Blackie?

6. Movies

7. Celebrities

8. People Names - Molly, Freddy, Teddy for example

9. Language - For instance a friend names all her border collies common names but with gaelic spelling.

10. Other

I voted for Place, Drink and Colour, Gemstones. My current Lab is named Oban, which is a town in Scotland and the name of the Scotch Whisky made in that town. My last black Lab girl was named Jet, a glossy, black, semi-precious stone that jewellery is made of.

Hope you have fun and feel free to tell us all about your pooch's name.

Last edited by Longblades; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Master of the Drool!

I named my boys people names but not for those reasons. Their parents both have "M" names and I wanted to stay on that style for the parents. I didn't want the name "max" (there are 4 max's on my street) So I went with Matt. Murphy is a such a droopy name and it totaly suits Murphy perfecty!

Fun Poll Longblades
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Ginger came with the name as we adopted her when she was seven. She was apparently named after Ginger Spice (Thank God as her first family was French and "gingembre" is very hard to say )

When we found Hobo we called him "the little Hobo" for the first two weeks while we were looking for his family. When it was apparent that no one was looking for him and we decided to keep him he was already answering to "the little Hobo" so we just shortened it to Hobo.

So I have two dogs but have yet to actually "choose" a dog (they find me ) or name a dog...and I couldn't be happier
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM

there's a story behind why we called our dog Georges. At first, i wanted a pug which is call a carlin in french. My bf came with the name George cuz of George Carlin the comedian With time the breed change for a english bulldog, but the name sticked and it fits him perfectly! We ended up putting a "s" at the end for the CKC registration.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Geek Club CEO

Ours all have people names: Gracie, Jaida, Heidi. Solomon is a people name too, albiet old-fashioned. Boo was named by a three-year-old, which is why she's the odd one out I'm definitely a fan of people names for pets.

Gracie came with her name from the HS...we sometimes lament that we didn't change it, we think she would have made a great "Stella"

Jaida got her name from the byb we took her from. She spelled it "Jada", and although I still feel like throwing rocks at the 's house every time I drive by it, we just liked the name so it stuck (only spelled differently).

Heidi is a name that DW's wanted to give to a dog forever, so when the new bundle of came along, Heidi she became (she was originally called Pixie, then Misha...and something else before that...sigh...no puppy should have four homes at three months old, but what can you do?)

Solomon was "My Cat" for months. I couldn't for the life of me find a name that fit. I tossed around the name for a while and finally it stuck.

Other pets in our family have had the names of Shaya, Riley and J.C.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

There's something wrong with my poll. The numbers add up to more than 100%. Huh?

And I forgot to tick the colour box for myself. Will somebody tick it for me?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Can cats play too?

I named my 2 kitties Aztec (because the Aztec's worshipped jaguars), and Egypt (again, because of the high esteem that cats held there).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Can cats play too?
Certainly.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

We have Lightning, Thunder, Rain, Storm, Flash, Noah and Flurry. For any new additions I'll need more wintery sounding names instead of wet ones

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lightning, Thunder, Rain, Storm, Flash, Noah and Flurry
Gosh, a whole bunch of climate names. If they sleep on the bed with you do you say you are UNDER THE WEATHER?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Gosh, a whole bunch of climate names. If they sleep on the bed with you do you say you are UNDER THE WEATHER?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

We wanted a nature'y' name for Skylar and it was taking forever to agree on a name that suited her. I was sitting in my work truck looking up at the sky and it hit me, Skylar, it's a people name but it suits her.

Out cats have people names too. Angus and Finn, named after an old Irish legend about an Irish giant and a Scottish giant who hurled stones at each other and formed the Giant's Causeway between N. Ireland and Scotland.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM

I named Lex after Lex Luthor (or, more precisely, Alexander Joseph Luthor) from Superman's character. Well I was watching Smallville actually, and I found the comedian playing Lex Luthor very handsome

My two cats, Bonnie and Mallory, are from two different movies; Natural Born Killers (my all-time favorite) and Bonnie and Clyde.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM

My Dusker was named for the color of her fur (it reminded me of dusk and ther "er" just made it sound more like a name).

Shagg was again named for the way his coat looked, long and shaggy.
My Misty cat is named for her colouring too. (All white and moving silently she reminded me of the morning mist you see rising off fields sometimes.)

her kitten is called MooBoots because he has white "boots" and because my brother thought his black and white markings made him look like a cow "moo" got added.

Dr. Seuss, well, if you ever read the book The Cat in the Hat you'll understand this name (and two of Misty's identical black kittens became Thing 1 and Thing 2)
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Keely got her name because i was searching the canadian GSD rescues, and i saw my dream dog on the screen of the computer, her name was keely. Since my mom is scared of dogs, i couldnt have a large breed dog so we bought A yorkie from a breeder here, and I called her Keely.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I voted for Celebrity, People Name, and Colour...

Barkley was named by the little girl that lived next door to the breeder after Barkley from Sesame Street

Romeo, self-explanitory...

Peaches...more of a food, but I guess it could be colour too
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Well.. Diamond is 2 reasons.. Diamond the stone & the baseball Diamond as were a Baseball family.

Sid he has extra toes so his is Six Individual Digits & Dusty because hubby found her in the local bar parking Lot covered in Drywall dust.

Duke was due to hubby having a Duchess when he was a kid
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Doggie Wench

Half the staff at the shelter called Lucky 'Rusty' and the other half called him 'Bob' . We chose Lucky, even though it's a super common name, cuz we felt so lucky to have found him .

Penny was called 'Canelle' (cinnamon in English) at the shelter. I think I peeved a few ppl off because they kept reminding me her name was Canelle every time I called her Penny ...but she always responded to me . At the time when I first met her, I didn't know yet that I'd be bringing her home a couple of months later.

That's how we ended up with Luckypenny .

Ava was already named when she arrived. Her name means 'to breathe, to live.' Appropriate I find as she was taken out of a shelter by her family before us.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I picked other as jags last owner named him jag short for jaguar which i believe was his dream car.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Swift Tribe

Mister Mister was/is a band... of which turned into a teen era nickname between Chris and his friends.... we tossed around a bunch of names but i kept calling him 'Mister (insert flexible name here)' such as 'Mister-Thinks-He-Can-Pee-On-The-Floor' or 'Mister-You-Are-Gonna-Get-It-Now!!!' so Mister stuck. not sure if thats Celeb or Other.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

no idea where our bailey got his name dw named him, quincy was from the tv show 'cause grace was looking at the tv guide channel and bishop is the android from the movie aliens.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Chase was nameless for at least five days because we couldn't decide what suited him! We went with Chase after he took off down the street after an old lady trying to get pets from her He's been true to his name ever since, and he always ends up with at least five dogs running after him anytime we go to the dog park.

Kailey got her name because we always liked "Katie" for a dog and we wanted her to have a soft and gentle sounding name in the hope that she would seem less intimidating to people who don't understand shepherds very well. Katie didn't quite fit though, and then hubby blurted out Kailey. She just kind of cocked her head and looked at us, and it just fit perfectly.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Patrón is a Tequila...
And I've actually never had it...
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM

DH is a Star Wars Fan

Yep were named after Star Wars characters. Hey it was either the dogs or the kids....I figured this would be alot easier on the kids
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Molly's mama

when we got Molly her name was Missy... but that was DH's boss' name , so we had to make a quick change to something similar!
Funny thing is, we started calling her names like "Mollywog" and "Mollybird" and these days it seems as though we exclusively call her "Bird" or "The Bird"!! strange, I know!
Anyone else out there have special nicknames for their pets?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

My theme is Russian names. I've always had an interest in Russian history.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Rottie owner and lover

One is a name, other is a motorcycle
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Mine have all been named with people names.
Cats first.
Our first cat was a himi cross called Toby for no reason in particular. It suited him.
Our next cat was a wild eyed little black kitten when we first saw him and immediately the name Maxie stuck. He was a tiny cat as an adult.
Next in line was our big indoor outdoor stray. He was a giant version of little Maxie, so we called him Giant Max although when we call him we us "big cat".
Our next pair was a pair of sisters we got through a rescue group. The little black kitten was heavy boned and sweet. She got the name Mookie. Her sister doesn't meow, she squeaks, so she's called Squeak. These are the only two who have questionable people names. Then along came Gabby. She was found a few winters ago in my yard and she yapped and yapped at me until I took her in. She still yaps a lot.
Now the dogs. Our first dog was named Freddie after my favorite uncle.
Next came Yogi Bear. After the cartoon of course.
Then the B boys, Baxter and Bentley, named for no particular reason except we liked the names.

Now it's funny when thinking about it, all my stray cats, I have named 3. Boots, Patches and Big Face. Not a people name among them. I wonder why that is.

Cindy

Last edited by clm; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
That is too funny, and I've never even thought of it that way before. You're a genius Now if ever I want to get out of going somewhere/doing something I can go to bed and say I'm "under the weather" and it won't be a word of a lie.

Not all 7 get on the bed, but Lightning and Rain always with me, and sometimes Flurry, Storm and Thunder like to come up to cuddle as well.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

An ex husband of mine named Dracko and he told me it was the nickname of a bareknuckles fighter he knew. I know the spelling of Draco is a constellation.

He was NOT named after Draco the character from Harry Potter. Nor is it pronouced that way. I hate it when people say D-rake-o. It is Drack-o...as in rack not rake.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!