Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Supplements to heal pelvic fractures

A friend of mine has a 100+ lb black labby who was recently run over by a pickup. The xrays showed two pelvic fractures--one on the top of the pelvic girdle, the other down the side. The breaks are still articulated and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the hips.

My friend wants to know if anyone has any suggestions as to supplements that might help Max heal faster. Glucosamine-chondroitin has already been suggested. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Calcium?

Vitamins?

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM

You could check out this article, (scroll down, it's underneath the ad). The article is geared to people, not dogs specifically but it may give some ideas. I would think a really good quality diet would help. And if they are looking into homeopathic remedies, I found an article from a back issue of Animal Wellness that mentions "Symphytum, also called knitbone, used to promote bone healing after a fracture."

Green-lipped mussels are supposed to be good for joints, and kelp has anti-inflammatory properties (just be careful as some kelp supplements have detectable levels of arsenic).

Besides glucosamine/chondroitin, that's all I could come up with.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thanks, SableCollie. It's geared towards humans, but at least now he can call the vet and ask about specific supplements. He's pretty worried, although Max seems to be doing better day by day.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I think jello (gelitan) has something in it that's good for building bones? no?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I think jello (gelitan) has something in it that's good for building bones? no?
Oh...I don't know! Something worth looking into! Thanks for the suggestion, happycats.

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I have used this before...
www.rivasremedies.com

SPECIALIZED NUTRIENTS:
Bone-Up more info...
Essential nutrition for all bone and joint conditions: bone and
cartilage development, healing of injuries, fractures, arthritis,
tendons, ligaments, and muscle contraction.
Ingredients: Calcium Citrate, Vitamin B6
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
I have used this before...
www.rivasremedies.com

SPECIALIZED NUTRIENTS:
Bone-Up more info...
Essential nutrition for all bone and joint conditions: bone and
cartilage development, healing of injuries, fractures, arthritis,
tendons, ligaments, and muscle contraction.
Ingredients: Calcium Citrate, Vitamin B6
Interesting site, gypsy_girl! Thanks for the link!

The Bone-up is listed for use in equines. Does it work in canines as well?

Old June 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Yes, it works the same. I used it on a rottie who was hit by a car. I actually phoned Marijke to ensure that it was ok.
They have a toll free number, and she is very nice, and of course, HUGELY knowledgeable.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

My brother's chocolate lab takes glucausamine (sp?) and it works quite well. I am not sold on many of the others. A good diet, rest and a healthy lifestyle and even physiotherapy are also helpful adjuncts. Good luck!!!

Make sure you break up the glucausamine in his food since some dogs experience digestive problems with these supplements. And if you do not do it that way, at least give it to him with food.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We use Cosequin DS with our dogs and I suggested he try it with his labby. It comes in a capsule that you can open up and sprinkle over the food.

But do you think the glucosamine/chondroitin will help fractures, CK? Seems like it's better with cartilage and connective tissues. My reason for suggesting it was to keep Max's hips flexible during the inactivity of his convalescence and to help repair any cartilage damage that might have occurred when the truck rolled over him. Does it offer bone benefits, too?

Old June 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Sorry to hear about your friends dog. :sad:

Extra protien will help the bones to heal faster. Calcium phosphate, magnesium, and Vit D are essential in bone healing. Your friend can supplement what the dog gets through his diet until he's completely healed.

Horsetail and alfalfa are good supplements for mending bones.

please send get better wishes!
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, One Beagle Girl. Magnesium, too, eh? I'll pass it on.

Max is standing on his own today, but will need towel-walking for about 3 weeks. The vet hopes he'll be up to swimming by 4 weeks. Right now, though, Max is still pretty sore and bruised, poor dear.

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Poor Max.

Yucca can help with pain and inflammation. Holistic Blend has one, I've seen it in a few pet food stores.
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Beagle Girl View Post
Poor Max.

Yucca can help with pain and inflammation. Holistic Blend has one, I've seen it in a few pet food stores.
I think Max's dad is going into town tomorrow--I'll try to get in touch with him before he leaves and let him know! Right now the bruising is Max's most immediate problem. Thanks!

Old June 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM

arnica can also help with imflammation, bruising and swelling.
i've used it myself for post-operative healing. you are supposed to hold the tablets under your tongue and let them dissolve, so i'm not sure how this would be used in a dog, but might be worth looking into. maybe if he could be held while it dissolved between his lips and gums? just a thought...
i have also used Yucca for my dog's arthritis and had very positive results. i know thay have human supplements available on the web.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Arnica. I've never even heard of it! Is it a plant extract? I think a pill slipped along the outside of the molars but inside the cheek might stay in place. If it's not too big, I don't think it would bother a dog enough to make them try to get it out...

Yucca I've heard of, but never for arthritis before!

Thanks for the tips, marine's girlie.

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Arnica you have to watch carefully when taken internally because it can act as a heart stimulant. I use it topically (in tincture form) on bruises and sprains, it is good for pain/swelling.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well poor Max has plenty of pain and swelling. I wonder if he'd allow anyone to put anything on his poor bruises. The poor boy cries when he thinks someone is going to touch him. :sad:

Old June 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM

Arnica is a homeopathic that comes in pill form, or cream to apply topically. You put it under the tounge so that it comes into contact with the mucus membranes. Works VERY well for any type of inflammation. You don't need the dog variety, you can use the people version.
Talk to your health food store, and I'm sure they can help.
Normally with this type of injury, you need to administer quite frequently.
Good luck!
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, gypsy_girl. I'll pass on the info!

Old June 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM

We are not vets. and therefore cannot give you advice on any medications. Please ask your vet. as to what to give, how much according to your dog's weight. Self-medicating either for cats, dogs and humans can be dangerous. It could do more damage than good. Please be careful and ask your vet. After all they are the ones that studied this stuff for several years and are qualified to answer these questions. Even natural supplements are considedered "medications".
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with kiara. As a physician, I would want to know what other meds the dogs is on, what his history is - does he have a heart condition - many questions - before recommending any medication!!! You should ask your vet. I do know Glucausamine (sp?) (1/2 tab once a day ) helps the my favourite chocolate lab and it has been studied more than the others mentioned- some of these have no good scientific evidence behind them. I have to admit I still question it as well - but some people seem to say it works but as you know, anecdotal evidence is meaningless. Plus, you might read the side effects ans so forth of Glucausamine before recommending it or certainly taking it.

Also keep in mind the weight f the dog but please check with your vet before giving it to him. I mentioned my brother's lab but he is under the care of a vet who recommended the glucausamine. (sp????)

I never prescribe it - there are no notable studies as to its efficacy with children and teens. There are studies funded by dubious sources but I don't give any credence to them.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good points, but Max is under the care of a vet, so I think he'll be okay. Just went in again this morning, as a matter of fact. His owner is simply looking for supplements to help him heal faster. But everything he tries is with the vet's knowledge.