Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Our Sweet new boy

Hi everyone,

I would like you to meet Hank, his name was Snake but I just had to change that because it really does not suit his very sweet loving personality.

Hank has a auto imuine disorder called Mucoid Pemphigus and thats why he looks the way he does. Has anyone here ever had a dog with this because any insight would be helpfull, he does not seem to be in any pain just very itchy and he has slept a great deal since he came here yesterday, he is very quiet in the house you really don't even know he is here. My 2 females are very good with him and want to clean him and are trying to be his momma so when we can't watch them they must be seperated because I worry that they will hurt him. He ignores our 2 cats and is just such a swet soul it breaks my heart to think how he suffered before coming to the shelter and then here.

He is on a round of meds right now for 1 month and if that does not work we will have to try something else.
Attached Images

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG, I remember him!! he was in the THS looking for a foster home!! I am so so happy you took him, he seems like such a sweet baby, your an and Hank is very lucky to have you, and i am sure he will pay you back in LOVE!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad you gave this baby a home! You truly are an angel!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Aww poor guy. That must be so uncomfortable. I hope the meds help alleviate some of the symptoms.
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys, I will give Hank kisses from you.

It does look painfull but he never complains he is a real trooper and is now eating well and settled right in. Today we went for a short walk and he was very good. THS did a very good job with him and he got lots of attention from the dog walkers. My mom is staying with us and he adores her, she was the first one that got a very special kiss from him but I got mine today, I was sitting with him on the floor and he had his head in my lap and he licked my hand. He looks worse than that picture but that was the least graphic one I had and I didn't want to upset anyone, the flash really bothers his eyes so I won't be taking any inside anymore (when I clued into this I felt terrible) sometimes when I look at him I start to cry and wonder how anyone could let a dog suffer like this.
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Toonces,I am so happy for Hank and that you found him,hugs for both you and Hank :love: :love:
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad he is with you Toonces,he is a very lucky dog.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww - poor guy! Thank you for taking him in. He sure looks like he could use a break!
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks again,

I am just glad that our rescue was able to help, He is doing great and coming more out of his shell, he likes to steal things like remotes, books and towles and is becoming quite the ham. Today when I left for work he cried and it broke my heart but when I came home he burried his head in my chest and let out these wonderfull moans that sounded like a bear, he then took his meds no problem and we went for a short walk and then after a rest he had a good dinner, I am so glad he is eating because he did not eat well at the shelter and is quite thin.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Aww! Bless your soul for taking this poor guy in! I'm not familiar with his story, do you mind sharing?
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd be more than happy to share heeler's rock,

Hank aka Snake was dumped at THS in March, his owners said he was sprayed by a skunk and had been scratching at his face and thats why he looks the way he does, it turns out he has an auto imuine disorder called Mucoid Pemphigus and if not caught early this is what happens (you can see more graphic pics at www.gsrt.net)

Hank has lived his entire 8 yrs outside and has never been to a vet untill march of this yr, he has since been neutered and they were working on his condition but without a safe place for him to be they could not start treatment because he has a weak imune system and being in a shelter he could pick up anything. His face in not the only thing affected his ears, penis and anus are also covered in sores but have been getting better. GSRT worked frantically trying to find him a foster home and then the foster I had was adopted into a wonderfull home so without hesitation I said I would take him, he goes to my vet next week for another evaulation and he is such a good boy for that, never makes a peep or complains just takes it all in stride.

He is a real inspriation for me and my husband and when I have a bad day I just look at him and think what am I whinning about! My 2 girls adore him and are so sweet and kind to him and he likes my 2 kitties but our house is very quiet so he is getting his much needed rest.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is another pic.
Attached Images

Old May 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I was considering him and have bookmarked a lot of pemphigus sites which I'll send you later! I am looking to add one more special-needs, bottom-of-the-barrel, totally abused and physically scarred dog to my "family" and show them love after they have suffered from human cruelty. I was hesitating to inquire about Snake because I can only add one more dog and it has to be the right one.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Just want to point out that this is another example of how people LIE when they want to dump their pets.

Lisa, I'll keep an eye out for that "special" dog for you!
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

canine14 it is wonderfull that you take in special needs dogs, alot of people would just pass them by and in a way I can understand somewhat because some people just can't handle what comes with them or find it to hard on their emotions but lucky for these babies there are people that understand and will give them safe loving homes.

Hank is doing better since he came here and has started a new treatment plan, he has a bounce in his step now and wags his tail! and yesterday I heard him bark for the first time it was music to my ears. He is eating more and gaining some much needed weight and loving all the attention. He was so good for the vet he was amazing, 2 hrs of poking and prodding and not one peep and he even gave the vet kisses, his scabs are healing up , he is on a patch for pain. I will keep you updated on his progress.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
banned user

Oh bless your heart for taking him in! That says so much about you. Kudos!

I am curious- when you are fostering a dog up there, who pays his medical bills?

Will the medication cure this disorder? Or will he always have it, and it is only to ease the symptoms? What causes it in the first place?
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Catcus Flower,

When fostering the rescue pays for the vet bills and food, my husband and I are fortunate enough that we can absorbe some of the costs because the rescue we foster for releys on donations but most of the money comes from her own pocket, we have 2 dogs of our own so another mouth to feed is no big deal and I enjoy spoiling these babies with lots of toys treats, ect, and they get alot of goddies from our friends.

Hank will always have to have meds to control this it is quite rare and a genetic thing and there have been few reported cases. The latest article is "Animal Models of Human Inflammatory Skin Disease" 2004 discusses it in detail and the term canine Mucous Membrane Pemphigus (or Mucoid Pemphigus) was individualized formally as a separate entity after adaptation of the consensus criteria for the human disease, so it is a relatively new term. I think they have only diagnosed 42 dogs by the date of this article, 12 (29%) were GSDs, median age on onset was 5, 43% older than 7 years, and 33% more males than females.

Hank is doing better every day and he is quite the sucky baby, he never leaves my side and is quite happy now, we adore him and I know the feeling is mutual, here is a pic of him with his new bandana that a very kind lady sent for him because she saw his pic and thought he looked like he needed so cheering up.
Attached Images

Old May 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
banned user

Wow- thanks very much for all of that information.

I just had a heartbreaking thought- could his condition be why the owner gave him up? Aaaaaaah, I wish my mind hadn't gone there.

You are very special, Toonces. People are so hung up on appearances, it is no secret, I'm sure, that this dog wouldn't have been in high demand on the adoption list.

And look how you opened up your home and heart to him, as soon as you had an opening. I'm not sure I could have a higher opinion of you.

Kudos, blessings, pats on the back, and a huge hug to you!
Attached Images

Old May 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM

He really is a beautiful dog :love: Kudos to you and your rescue for taking this guy in So nice to see him getting better, and happier too!
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM

Dogs become even more beautiful as a reflection of their owners. This guy should be VERY beautiful thanks to you.
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Many, many years ago, I had a GSD bitch. She developed an autoimmune disorder after an ill timed litter was born to her. Her system just seemed to break down and she couldn't recover from it. Her ears were sooo bad, I tried all the meds the vet reccommended as well as surgery (she had cauliflower growths that kept growing even after they were removed and cauterized) The final surgery tried was to open the ear canal to allow air in whether or not there were any growths. It helped for awhile. But, the ears were only part of her problem, my vet diagnosed that she had become allergic to her own skin oils and after many different attempts to help her, we finally made the decision to have her PTS. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do...but, I know she was hurting and the itching and pain were beyond what the meds could alleviate. She was literally chewing herself to bits! Her forelegs were raw, her breast bone was raw, her flanks...raw. Her life had become so painful and frustrating for her (she was living day after day wearing an elizabethan collar to stop her from scratching and chewing) Her eyes told me one day that she'd had enough. I made the call to my vet and he agreed it was time for her.

I hope Hank has a better outcome to all this. Although, it looks very familiar, I know medicine has come along way since 16 years ago. Best wishes to you both..... he's a lucky fella to have landed on your doorstep God Bless You
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Wjranch my eyes are full of tears from your post I am so sorry for what your baby had to go through and you having to make that decision, it is so hard to have to make that choice but we do know when its time and they tell us in their own special way.

Cactus Flower thankyou for you kind words you are making me blush, my mom always says that God always sends me this sick ones because he knows I will take care of them. I feel blessed to have Hank in my life he is such an amazing dog, he has started to prance around the yard and become more of himself. I think his owners just couldn't be bothered but who knows why anyone dumps their dogs I refuse to let myself waste energy being mad at these people about something I will never understand instead I will focus on Hank and his needs.

The first time I took him to the vet I was not prepared for all the staring and questions by people in the waiting room, some people glared at me as if I had done this to him and others would just stare, a young girl about 17 walked over to us and said "I just want to tell you that I think he is beautiful" I could tell her mom was very proud as I would be if that was my daughter.

Hank has his own fan club amoung our friends, family and even some neighbours, people come out to see him when we go for walks and he loves the attention, I taught him how to sit yesterday and he was very proud the poor fellow knows nothing because his prevoius owners did not teach him, he had to learn how to use stairs and he is not totally housebroken (thank god for cermaic tile!) I will have to go out today and get some of those puppy training pads because he is on prednisone and while I am at work it will be impossible for him to hold his pee.

Thankyou all for your kind words and get well wishes, he goes back to the vet tomorrow and I will let you all know how he made out.

Kisses from Hank!
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Toonces,I cannot say enough about you and Hank,scabs and all,he is a wonderful dog,deserves the very best and I believe he's found it in you :love:
What will his future be? Will he ever be adoptable,or are you planning on keeping him?
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Chico2,

Hank is a beauty isn't he! As far as getting better we are hoping for the best, the new meds seem to be working and he is looking and feeling better everyday hopefully he will be able to continue on a lower dosage every other day once it is under control, he will be with us for a long time I imagine before he is up for adoption and who knows he could be the foster that never leaves and I would have no problem keeping him forever, he really fits into our family nicely and our furbabies really like him, I am so lucky to have 2 sweet females that accept our fosters like part of the family and my cats are very cool about it but we have been lucky that all the dogs we have had are good with cats.

I can't get over how generous people have been with donations, he came with holistic treats, toys, eaglepac dog food, bowls and a bandana and a few people have donated already for his vet bills and THS sent meds for him aswell and to top it off my vet has a case of food for him, my step dauhter has alos givin him her old barbie comforter to sleep on (he dosn't mind that its pink )

Here is one of my favorite pics of him.
Attached Images

Old May 31st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to give you all an update on Hank,

He had a checkup today and the vet is amazed at how well he is coming along, he is the star of the vets office and everyone comes out to see how he is and he gets lots of attention which he loves, on Thursday we will find out if we can lower his dose of meds, his scabs are half the size and the sores in his mouth almost gone.

thankyou to everyone who responded to this post and wished him well!
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
banned user

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thanks for the update!

Doing a happy-dance here!
Attached Images

Old May 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw, I just want to SQUEEEZE him.

Congrats, Toonces, and keep upthe caring that you do....you're awesome!
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Toonces, you're really great! Just read this story of Hank and I'm soooo overwhelmed! Gotta give you a hug!
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:11 AM

Toonces, words cannot express how i feel about you and your very big heart!
I also remember Hank from the THS website, and i remember wishing that he would find someone to foster him. I really hope you keep him!
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I want to keep Hank just like I did Jerry, Reilly and Griffin but if I had kept Jerry there would have been no chance for Reilly and so on. It is so hard knowing they are only with you for a short time but I treasure the time I had and know that there will be another one in need and I get lots of updates and photos from their new parents but Hank is truely a heart breaker, he is so attached to me and very needy right now, I hate even going to work and leaving him but I have a friend that comes in to let him out in the daytime and spend time with him so that helps.

I know it will be very hard to send him to a new mommy but for now we are just focusing on getting him well enough to adopt out and then I guess I will have to deal with that so for now he is totally mine to love and spoil!