Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Talking Pet Quirks

Just reading through some old posts about odd pet habits and quirks. What are some of the funny and strange things your pets like to do??

Phoebe has an assortment of treats, which she gets for different reasons. If I happen to give her a particular treat that she doesn't want or was not expecting, she takes it and stares at me for a few seconds. Then she trots off to her doggie bed, head hung low, puts the treat down and "complains" to it. She's not barking - she's "talking". She does this for a minute or so before either giving in and eating it, or walking away disgusted!
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM

If Newt doesn't like the treat he is giving ie milk bones, he will go and hide it. And then when your cleaning you find his treats.
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM

One of my cockatiels, ed loves to get his head scratched. But i started scratching it so often he became a spoiled brat about it Now he will fly over to my shoulder and put his head down. If i dont scratch it, he starts biting my face, and if i do scratch it, but not in the specific place he wants it to be scratched, he flips out and starts biting my hand!! I cant win!! He also makes really weird grunting noises (kind of like a pig)!! My other 'tiel Joey Imitates that whistle, i dont know what its called but its that one a guy will do when he sees a pretty girl?? anyway, he will only do it while looking at himself in the mirrior!
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Baby stuffed animal

My cat Winnie has had a stuffed toy since she was a kitten. The toy is a stuffed kitten that is about the size of the TY animals that were all a craze a few years ago. This stuffed animal mysteriously gets around the house. Every now and then you'll hear Winnie making this weird moewing/moaning sound and she is walking towards you with "Miss. Kitty" in her mouth. She doesn't like my other cat, Sunkist going anywhere near this toy, and she doesn't like my step-daughter playing with it either. I've even caught her licking this toy! It is very cute to see, she'll drop it near you and look up like "Look what I brought you Mom!"
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I LOVE bird stories! A family friend had taught their budgie to talk - except that they spoke with a British accent, and so did the bird. Funniest thing to walk into their house and hear the bird saying, "'Ello!" and "Bloody 'ell!"
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Crusader

Trixy has made a new friend.. she wont seem to leave this friend alone... she cuddles up to her friend it's been about a week now they've been hanging out together.. and who's this friend you ask? why the Mop of course!
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Meggie1425 too funny about your birds. No chance of an ego problem is there. LOL. Sounds like a no win situation with your other bird.
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
banned user

One of my cats, Snooky, has been sleeping in the closet in the bathroom lately. When you walk in there and turn on the light he makes this awful squawk, I guess like a meow but longer and it kinda sounds like a bird chirping at the same time. You'd have to be there! Anyway, we come in, turn on the light and sit on the toilet, you hear that noise... Like we totally disturbed his nap. He will do it every time. He even opens the closet door to get in there.
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:58 PM

LOL Sneaky, I just had a vision of Snooky grumbling as he walks into the closet, then reaches back out to hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door!
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Let me get this straight. He squawks before or after you sit on the throne? Maybe he's complaining?
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:13 AM
banned user

Well... It's either right after you turn on the light, begining to sit. Or if the closet door is mostly closed he won't see the light and the first noise he hears he will squawk... and I don't mean those noises, Ladies!
And let me tell you... with the contributions he makes to the litter box... he has NO room to complain!! Ever!
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Heehee!

Friend had a grey cockatiel whose cage was in his bedroom. He got really sick with the flu. Later, the bird sounded like it was dying. Coughing and hacking - he was imitating our friend!
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:00 PM

LOL!! I love cockatiels, they pick up the most weirdest sounds!
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM

My cat has to sleep above my head everynight,I have to make room on my pillow for her(she loves her mommy) . Every morning when my alarm goes off I hit the snooze button for 5 min, if I try to hit it a second time she says no way, you are gettin out of bed NOW, she smacks me on the forhead with her paw and if I still dont want to get up she puts her wet nose on my eye and pushes on it. Its really cute and I love getting up in the morning that way. I just love her soooooo much!
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM

coonlover, thats cute!! i wish it wasnt so annoying when my birds wake me up. There in my bedroom so they tweet and tweet until i let them out, and when i do, they fly over to my bed and start walking all over me so i cant go back to sleep because i would probably roll over them!
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Cute stories! Thanks guys!

I wish my sister's bird was friendly enough to just walk on me. As it is, all he did was divebomb me whenever his food dish was empty, and then peck at my hands when I was filling it. Ingrate! Well, since she got the dog, his cage door has had to stay SHUT, so no more divebombing for you, my friend!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Our yard has a high fence made mostly of rendered bricks, but there is a small area made of fence pailings, but the dogs can't really see through the gaps. One day my husband rode past on his bike and found Izzy sitting on the outdoor setting table watching people walk past!
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:30 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well I have one of each...a bathroom and a bedroom tale.

Smoke loves to play "fetch" (yes all my cats can fetch, you just have to find each cat's version of a stick... Smoke is a mouse, Windy is a rolled up plastic bag), where I throw her little toy fur mouse and she chases it and brings it back. Now she likes to play this anytime, anywhere mind you, but this girl is smart....she figured out that if you corner mommy on the toilet she really has nothing better to do than give the mouse a few throws. Plus its hard to concentrate on your "business" with a furry mouse on your foot!

Now Windy, she's my wake up caller.... everyday I get up at about 7 am to go pee- now Windy has learned that this is not time to get up, so she doesnt even bother with me just rolls over. And about 2 or three hours later she jumps on the bed with a meow and makes sure I know it's time for breakfast!
And trust me, you can't sleep once you've been jumped on by a 12 lb hungry cat!
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:36 AM
banned user

If I ask Raj to do something that she doesn't want to do, she falls to the floor and covers her head/ears with her paws, groaning.

Chloe "smiles"! People mistake it for an aggressive curl of the lip, but she shows her teeth, smiling!
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

When Den-Den doesn't want to do something, he'll take a good long stretch. But that's also one of his tricks - stretching on command. So I ask for that first!
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=glasslass]When Den-Den doesn't want to do something, he'll take a good long stretch.[QUOTE]
Ah, yes! The stall tacticts! They truly are just like children!
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
banned user

These bird stories remind me of something funny that happened years ago. We all went to a pet store, and my stepfather immediately headed for the bird section. We followed. There he found a Myna bird, and was standing with his face up to the cage, talking to the bird.
He stood there for five minutes at least, talking to the bird, saying "Pre-tty bird...pre-tty bird....are you a pre-tty bird? He-llo....he-llo pre-tty bird".....
Well the bird was just standing there, silent, looking not in the least amused.
Finally after my stepfather stopped and gave up any hope of this bird responding, the bird said- as clearly as you or I could say it: "Birds can't talk".
I thought I was going to die laughing.
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:30 PM

A few of my own funnies..

Our bird is very concieted. all day long we here "ooooooooh.. thats a pretty boy bob" while he dances around to see who may be watching him. He will also interject his two cents when we get onto the 2 legged kids. As soon as we have said all we have to say to them, bob will chime in with a "YEAH"..lol..
He also plays hide an seek.. he will get on the bottom of the cage and stay there til someone says "where is bob?".. u say that a few times and he will pop up and say "yeah"..
His favorite person is my daughter tho, who plays clarinet. so he must immitate anything she plays on a regular basis or just sing along with what ever she is playing at the time.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM
banned user

My Neo (avatar) is used to sleeping next to my feet. Whether I fall asleep on the couch or in the bed. If he comes to bed after me and can't get in "his spot" he will
very very slowly pull off the comforter with his teeth until I "move over". I swear he is so gentle about it it's like he doesn't want to wake me!

Also if I'm washing the dishes & he wants something he will lean his chin on the curve where back meets my butt
until I turn around and ask him what?

Tooooo cute
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:51 AM
banned user

BOB is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of bird is he?
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Talking

Bob is a cockatiel. I got him about a year and a half ago.. doesn't seem to like me but loves my daughter.. go figure.lol
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Oh, great thread!!!! Casey's quirk is his nursing on his blankets. It's not an occasional thing -- it's every single day, usually 5 or 6 times, each time for at least 20 minutes. He usually does it to lull himself to sleep in the day after playing, or also when my husband and I are both home and talking (we usually sit on the floor Korean style), and he manages to get his body touching both of us and just sucks away on his blankie. Yesterday, we got him home after leaving him with a friend overnight. As soon as he finished checking to make sure home was still home, he marched to his kennel and took out one blanket, then reached in for the other and attempted to carry both of them to my husband and me! I had to laugh at his determination!
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:05 AM
banned user

Quote:
he manages to get his body touching both of us and just sucks away on his blankie.
I said AWWWWWW! (super loud too) when I read that!!!
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Mammabunny

angel bunny

My sha sha(my angel bunny who just passed) has a stuffed walrus..i put it in her cage when i got her for christmas cuz she was just a baby and i thought she would like to cuddle it...she was smaller then it at the time...well she got bigger...and it didnt...lol...she used to push it around the floor with her nose and when she was done she would lay down and lick it over and over like it was a kit...it was to cute...

she also liked to give mamma kisses...little bunny kisses on my lips,nose,and forhead....now my angel bunny is watching over me and he fellow companions Scoota and Tiny...[/FONT]

Asia:Sha Sha..My Angel bunny..Passed at 9 months old
:love: Scoota:Boot Scoots..My Lil mamma.. 6 months old
Tiny:Tinster...My little man..3 years old
Chase:Chaser:Chasey...im guessing between 0ne and two years old...

"No matter how old your bunny is, they are always two at heart"
Old September 26th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Question My unusual kitty

I just thought I would like to tell a short tale about my cats. I have 2, Smokey and Sam. I'm currently 3.5 months pregnant and they seem to know this for some reason. Both of them keep cuddling up to my stomach and headbutt it while nipping at my t-shirt. Today when I was laying in bed Smokey walked up my body and did the usual "hello" to my stomach and promptly nipped at my stomach...she bit me just below my belly button. I hope the kittys aren't jealous already....