Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Angry my puppy Charlie

Hi remember me the one with my puppy is biting "charlie" yellow lab "21/2 months old now" I just wanted to share that things have changed with him he has been a great dog for us. how ever we have had a new and horrible experience. I and my boy friend decided to go camping and take charlie with we had met his friends at a camp sight. " it was dark" just has we got out of the truck we had charlie on his leash and out of the blue came this pitbull and attacked charlie it had taken several people to get him off charlie. he had him by the leg and hip. it had taken us that night and the next day to find a vet because it was on fathersday weekend. we had finally located a vet an hours drive from where we live. we had met him at his home from there the vet took him the rest of the way to his clinic another hours drive. it was just awful!! he ended up having two fractures one in the hip and one in the leg it is costing me $1000.00. money I do not have, though the vet is willing to take payments. what has made me so angry about all of this is the owner of the pit had the gall to tell me he is not paying a dime and that Iam liable for for my dog biting him when he was trying to get his dog off from charlie. he says because we came onto his campsite. and his dog was chained up. but when we approached we did not see him. I would like to here some oppinions on this.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM

From a legal standpoint, being "on somebody's property" does not justify getting hurt. Wether it be slipping on ice or being attacked by a dog. Even if the dog is chained. This man has a civil responsibility towards you and your "property" (your puppy). You can and should take action.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry this happened to you and your poor little puppy!

Did you get this person's name? The only recourse you have is to take him to small claims court. I doubt he would have to pay the full amount, since his dog was tied up, and this was an accident, but he may have to pay half!

It's certainly worth a try.

As for him being bitten by your dog - anyone who sticks his hands into a dogfight does so at his own risk.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Iam planning on fighting him on this . however i have a question. even though he was on his campsight and other people were there also. this was also a crowded campsite with children. there was no beware of dog warning to let people no the dog was there. the camp fire was in the back and the dog was in the front so to reach the fire you have to pass the dog if I would have known that dog was there we would not have proceeded there was no bark or growl or any other type of warning. and would if this would have been a child running by? and with this being a vicious
attack should he even had this gog on a public camp ground? would that make him full liable. we are not even sure if he is going to need more surgery from this. if he does not get any feeling in that leg or hip he might end up loosing it.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You need to find out the camp grounds requirements first before you do anything.

Their dog was being controlled by a lead. Your dog got too close and thats what happened. If the lead / chain broke and that dog got free it would be a different situation.

I am so very sorry to hear that this happened to Charlie, ofcourse he is getting all the love and attention his mom *you* can give him and I hope he recovers fully (hugs to Charlie boy)
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I certainly understand your anger and frustration, but:
Quote:
and would if this would have been a child running by?

Dog aggression has NOTHING to do with human aggression!!! Many breeds of dogs are aggressive towards other dogs, and towards other animals but that does not mean they will attack a child.

This dog probably can easily tell the difference between a child and a dog, I'm sure.

Yes, this incident was mostly the dog owner's fault. If he knows his dog is aggressive to other dogs, he must watch him closely.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Was this dog (the attacker) on a leash or chained to an inanimate object? If the dog was chained to a tree or something then the owner is liable. Even with beware of dog signs, a person can still be held accountable. It's a very relative matter. The owner must have done everything humanly possible to PREVENT the attack for him not to be responsible. And a campground is not like a private house with a tall gate surrounding it, it's reasonable to think that people trespass on other's sites, this is a common thing in campgrounds.

Write everything that happened that night down in very explicit detail. Don't write your feelings or emotions down. Include your demeanor, the other dog's owner's demeanor -what was said between you two... Take pictures of your dogs injury's before they heal. Describe how the dog was, how he was being restrained, how the owner reacted when he saw the attack. Don't exagerate, there is no need for it. This way, if you write everything down with vivid words and explanations, you can remember it in a month from now. Do it like a police report would be, include as much detail as possible, colors, shapes, sizes of the dogs, lengths of leashes, chains, ropes, include the surroundings - how was the camp site shaped, were there obstacles that prevented the dog to be seen by passers by...

That way if you decide to take action, you will have a detailed account, because if you try to recall it a month or two from now, the details won't be as fresh in your mind and distances or time might be warped. Go back to the campsite and take pictures if possible. Have as much written and visual aids as possible.

Good Luck.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm kinda confused ! You were going to visit your bf's friends at a campsite and when you got out of the truck were you on their site?
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:37 PM

yes we were on their campsite. it all happend so fast that i wasn't even sure what the dog was chained to i believe it was a picnic bench. their were several people their and they all jumped in to help. I could not stand it so i went back to the truck. my boyfriend had told me that the owner was the last person to jump in and help. i do know it took about 10 min before the other dog released charlie. I have already seeked legal advice, my friend is the city attourney in this small town. she raises labs. and i do believe she would of helped me fight. except for the fact she happens to be representing him in a divorce proceeding . he had already called her on this but she did decline. and advised me what i can do.
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

just my advice, (sorry if it sounds mean, but i hate bad owners) get a pair of steel cap walking or work boots and always wear them camping and to the park, i sure do. and it is real effective in getting dogs of your dog and good for stupid owners too (steal caps to the shins sure work). ow, i hope charlie is mentally ok, that would have been a nasty scare for him, give him big kisses from us all on the board, and do all possible to get the mongrel that allowed this to happen.
surely the dog was know to be dangerous, doesnt that count for something legal?? oh poor charlie and his mum,
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:37 PM

thankyou melanie all you guys! it makes me want to cry when when you guys voice your concerns for charlie. and he is pretty skittish right now, for example yesterday when i was visiting my lawyer friend. she has a chocolate lab puppy and when he approached charlie , charlie had acted like he was being attacked all over again. i had taken charlie to work with me. because charlie freaks when i leave his side. when we took pictures i had to hold charlie down. because he would freak at the sound the camera makes it was a polaroid and you know how it makes that winning noise. but in time i think he will get better because he does know we love him very much.
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

you may have to do a bit of desensitisation with him, but the others are far more knowledgeable on such subjects than i. PS im a sucker for a charlie, i have an 8yo girl GSDX called charlie and she is the apple of my eye and i sloobber on all the other charlies i know, but we dont know any other girl ones. give him hugs from me and charlie and give him all the attention he needs, he has had such a trauma, but he will get over it with a little work.
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I live and work in a Florida Rv resort right now. There is a slight difference in a campground and resort but not much. Liability big time on the owners part and could be for the camp ground too!
Ciara & I were attacked by another dog in January. Ciara was in her harness, in my driveway when the evil mongrel lunged out of the hatch back of the car on the owners site.
I called animal control immediatly. ( I use to work for this dept., know the laws)
Report this right away..and yes, the owners are liable regardless! Failure to use due restraint holds up in any court.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Melanie, I would seek other help for your pup, other than medical. This attack would have been extremely traumatic for your pup and he may never recover from that. Seek some advice from a trainer to find out how/when you should start to introduce him to dogs again. My youngest golden was attacked when she was a pup and still feels threatened when a dog bigger than her approaches her. This is so upsetting and your poor dog......

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Goldenmom, Charlie could become extemely dog aggressive as her get older. The attack will stay with him and he could always assume that the other dog is out to get him.
Did you boyfriend know about the other dog on site, was it your bf's friends dog or another visitor?
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Poor Charlie, when will you know with regards to his recovery time through the vet?

Did you find out the camping requirements for dogs?
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

golden mum it is not my charlie (girl), if it was i would be locked up for assult or worse around about now. it was mlyn's charlie and he is a boy. and a poor one at the moment, i agree with the dog agression though, should she start maybe desensitising him so he starts to be less edgy?? you ppl know more on that stuff than me so any ideas??
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:05 PM

update on charlie help!!

I need some advice on what I can do. he has been doing real good up until last night , his leg is real swollen and its hot to the touch. i know he has been running a temp. though he acts fine. his hip and leg is red and purple. his next appt with the vet is monday and i don't know what to do because its a holiday weekend and I cant get a hold of his vet or any other vet. there is no such thing has emergency vet here or any where near i have been giving him his meds. i also gave him an asprin for his fever i would like to put him in a luke warm bath but i'm not sure about his insision's he has a drainage tube but it wasn't draining so i pulled it out but it didn't change much what can I do until i am able to get a hold of a vet.
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I responded on your other thread

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5308