Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2008, 01:22 AM

What wonderful work you do Scuba. I live in Ontario and my daughter has just turned 16 and is hoping to start volunteering at our local SPCA. I'll have to show her your thread so she can get a bit of an idea what it might be like. I loved all the pics and it's always so nice to hear most of the dogs are being adopted. Thanks for your dedication!
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Scuba,I am so sorry to read about Hank,in the pic he looks like a very healthy handsome Rottie,but pics don't tell it all.handsome Hank

Good news for Rocky thoughand for Bailey and a new home.
The little Pug will probably go soon too,unless he has some real behavior-problems.
It's interesting to read your posts,to see how quickly some pups get adopted and how for some pups,the wait is a very long one:sad:
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM

for Kisses, Night & Rocky getting adopted for Bailey

:sad: poor Hank running pain free at the Rainbow Bridge now

Good job on the leashes you could try a "signature stitch" in the clasp or handle end something to distinguish them from the others. Something like initials or a small design

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
for Kisses, Night & Rocky getting adopted for Bailey

:sad: poor Hank running pain free at the Rainbow Bridge now

Good job on the leashes you could try a "signature stitch" in the clasp or handle end something to distinguish them from the others. Something like initials or a small design

I am very happy for Night (been at the shelter a long time) and Kisses. They are both very well behaved.

Kind of sad about Hank, not knowing until after the fact.

I think I will just keep to making the leashes for now and nothing fancy like "signature stitch" even though it is basically what some of the other volunteers have suggested that I do. My skill is just not up there yet. I bought some new material and the new batch should be ready in a day or two. Even the 30' tracking lead for TeriM. My idea was that once my sewing is better, I would look at getting embroidered name tags that I can then sew on. But that is all just thinking.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM

You're doing a great job on them & I'm sure the SPCA is very appreciative as well

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM

More updates even though it is a Friday

I don't normally walk on a Friday, but I had half a dozen leashes that I made and wanted to bring to the shelter plus I didn't have any plans this evening.

It was pretty good, I keep hearing that the SPCA doesn't have enough volunteer dog walkers on Friday evenings but there were lots tonight. A lot of them their first night, I guess they just finished another round of orientations for new walkers.

Anyhow, some updates.

Muffin is in foster right now
Tony has been adopted
Bailey has been adopted
Meeko has also been adopted
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM

12th September 2008 (Friday evening)

I wanted to take Brewster out tonight, but another volunteer wanted him and also I had to talk to some of the coordinators and staff about my leashes so I waited. There was one cute little girl I was looking at to take out but business first. Luckily for me when I was finally able to go take a dog for a walk, the only one left was the dog I had been hoping for.

Her name is Zoe, she is sharing a kennel with Zeke. Apparently they came to the shelter together. I don't really know much about them. They are some sort of BC cross?

First picture is of Zoe and second one is Zeke.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scuba; September 12th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Zoe is so adorable.

She is so cute with her white coat and pink nose. She is pretty small, doesn't even come up to my knees. Her coat is very soft and fluffy. This girl is also very smart. She knew sit and stay already. She didn't know down, but we are working on it. On our walk together she picked up the fact that I would like her to wait and sit at intersections really quickly. By the end of out walk, she would look at me and sit all by herself.

Zoe is definitely housebroken, her poo was very healthy looking, moist and solid. Haven't seen poo like that coming from a dog in a long time. Most of the time it is either really soft and loose or just liquid. Almost didn't recognise what normal dog poo looks like and how easy they are to pick up.

Since she was healthy in the gastrointestinal department, I proceeded with the treat dispensing. Most of the dogs just inhale them but Zoe actually took the time to sit and chew them. Maybe it is just because she is smaller but I think it is because she is a lady.

On our walk I noticed the tips of her ears bouncing up ^^ and down vv. It was so cute and funny. I really wanted to dognap her tonight, just tuck my shirt in and put her down my shirt. Leave a few buttons undone so that she can stick her head out. However, there is no way that I could manage to take both Zoe and Zeke home this way on my bicycle so...
I am going to plot anew. Since it wasn't hot out tonight, Zoe only wanted two little sips of water when we got back to the shelter. Then we had some cuddling time before I had to put her back in her kennel. Poor thing didn't want to go in.

PS.
Zoe was really interested in sniffing a lamp post at the end of our walk and got herself on the other side of post from me. Normally I would wait for the dog to come back around or if they don't correct the situation themselves then I would correct them myself. This was the first time that I went around an obstacle for a dog on a walk since starting at the SPCA. But I just couldn't help myself, Zoe is just too much of a sweetheart. Only for Zoe...

Last edited by Scuba; September 12th, 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a post script
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Great news for Muffin (fosters are always great help), Tony, Bailey and Meeko

Aww Zoe & Zeke are adorable why on earth would someone give them up *sigh*

I think Zoe was working really hard to convince you to fill out the adoption paperwork

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Scuba,for the adopted pups and Muffin finding a fosterhome
Zoe and Zeke are both adorable,it looks like Zeke has had a recent trim,did you walk him too?
I too wonder why they were dumped,but I suppose that's the big question with all the animals
I would love for these 2 friends to be adopted together,but I think Zoe will be first to go and on her own:sad:
There is just something special about white animals that people go for
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Growler-If I could I would take Zoe home right away, along with Zeke.

Chico-By the time I was done talking to the coordinators about the leashes that I am making Zeke had gone out with a new volunteer already. Zoe was the only one left in the kennels.

Ideally I would like to see them go to a new home together but that is something out of my control. Zoe is pretty special.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I think I will just keep to making the leashes for now and nothing fancy like "signature stitch" even though it is basically what some of the other volunteers have suggested that I do. My skill is just not up there yet. I bought some new material and the new batch should be ready in a day or two. Even the 30' tracking lead for TeriM. My idea was that once my sewing is better, I would look at getting embroidered name tags that I can then sew on. But that is all just thinking.
Thanks sooooo much for the tracking lead and of course the other super leash that you brought at our meetup. . It is exactly what I needed and hopefully will get put to use this weekend.

Love the pics of Zoe and Zeke . The animals are very lucky to have great volunteers like you and when your circumstances allow your furries will be very lucky to be adopted by you.
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Updates for Monday evening (15th September 2008)

TeriM - I am glad that the leash is ok, if you need anything else in the future just drop me a PM. Right now I am experimenting with some fancier designs. Also, thank you for the bronze clasp, I am using it for my Prototype Mark II No. 1.

There weren't many walkers for Monday night, I got to take Zoe out again. She was the first dog that I took out for the evening. She was her usual self, still a little timid when encountering new situations but otherwise she is very nice and easy to handle. When I was walking her, I encountered a lady volunteer walking Fluffy (he is a boy, why did they name him Fluffy ). I was chatting to her about what colour leash would she like if I got hold of more material. Fluffy when a little crazy, all bouncy and play bowing. But unfortunately Zoe only wanted to do a sniff and greet, not play. It wasn't for lack of effort on Fluffy's part tough. Since Zoe didn't seem to want to play, and Fluffy was in the middle of doing his number two (until we showed up) I left with Zoe soon after finding out the colour leash that the lady wanted.

Another few blocks and we happened upon a new volunteer walking Zeke. Of course the two of them wanted to say hi to each other so we did. Then Zeke and Zoe both wanted to sniff a tree together. Just as they were done, I saw Zeke turn around and cock his right hind leg up, going to mark the tree. I had to push/shove Zoe out of the way since Zeke was about to pee on her head , like I said before Zoe is kind of small in stature. Likely I was able to prevent Zoe from being peed on. After that I spotted this off leash GSD running around, he wasn't big but compared to Zoe he is huge and I didn't know whether he was going to be good or bad so I started walking with Zoe again. Zeke wanted to follow her, but his volunteer wanted to go another way so we just went off in different directions. In hindsight I should have asked the new volunteer if he would be interested in walking Zeke and Zoe together.

Nothing else really interesting happened after that, we just had ourselves a nice long walk.

The following picture is of Fluffy.
Attached Images

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM

When I got back to the shelter with Zoe, there were still three dogs that hadn't been walked, not a lot of volunteers showed up last night. I was debating which one to take out first, two of them had issues. One poor guy/girl had diarrhea and the coordinator wanted him/her out so that she could get on with cleaning out the kennel. On the other hand there was a PBT who was in pretty bad shape that needed to get out more. The poor guy was in the news because he had been set on fire. In the end we decided that some of the other volunteers would be back soon and that I should take the bully out first. There are pictures of him and a link to his story but since there is an on going investigation by the police I am not going to post too much on the public forum. If anyone wants to know more about the poor guy, you can PM me.

Poor dog had to wear an Elizabethan collar. The coordinator was calling him conehead. Well, even after such a horrific event, Conehead is still really happy go luck. I mean, when we went to put his collar on after making the decision that he was going out first. His tail was like a blur once he saw the collar. If it went any faster, there would have been sonic booms. He is strong too and you can see it in his eyes that there is a will to not give up. The poor fellow kept bumping into things with the cone when he wants to sniff things. The top edge of the cone would bash against lamp posts and trees. Doesn't stop him from trying. He would also stick his whole head down close to the ground, with the cone like a upside down funnel (maybe it actually helps with scents?). It is pretty funny to watch. He really wanted to go at a fast pace on our walk too. After one sniff and pee stop I did notice that he was oozing blood on the inside of his groin where a scab had come off. Therefore I kept his pace slower then he would of liked and his walk at only just a little over 25 minutes. Much shorter than what I would have liked for him, but since he just wanted to keep going and wasn't going to pace himself. I felt I needed to make a decision that was in his best interest, I didn't want his wound to reopen more than it did already. At least he did have a couple of good pees and did a big steaming pile of number two for me.

Last edited by Scuba; September 16th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM

When I got back with Conehead, the other two dogs that still hadn't gone out before had been taken out by other volunteers when I was on my second walk.

There was Tula in her kennel bouncing off the walls however. She had only been on a relatively short walk, compound that with the fact that she has some BC in her, there was energy to burn. The coordinator ask if I could take her out again. Of course I said yes.

Tula was acting just a little stir crazy, so I took her for a run. After a couple of laps of the dirt track. She voluntarily slowed down to drink at the fountain, figuring that I had burned up some excess energy, I let her have he fill of water then took her on a leisurely walk around the neighborhood.

Here is a picture of Tula being cute.
Attached Images

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Fluffy should find a home pretty soon, alot of people like the smaller fluffy dogs

for "Conehead" for a speedy recovery

awwww Tula is adorable

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Conehead,I hope he recovers completely and the perps go to jail(fat chance)they should give him a nicer name though..are people less likely to walk him because he's a bully??
Yes,I am sure Fluffy will be gone in no-time..
Tula is a sweety
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Chico - Don't worry "Conehead" is just the poor guy's nickname, he has a much nicer name. Its just that there is an ongoing police investigation so I don't want to post too much information of my buddy out on a public forum. If you like I can PM some of his pictures (graphic) to you.

I don't know if no body took him for a walk because he is a bully or not. There are volunteers who come all the time who might be uncomfortable with certain breeds and there is no obligation for them to do anything out of their comfort zone. Personally I think it more to do with the state that he is in and his size, it can be a little intimidating to some people. Also we just got a bunch of new volunteers as well. A lot of the people that I started out with together back in end of March beginning of April don't seem to be around anymore as well.

No matter how he looks though, I know that "Conehead" has a heart of gold.

Tula is a real cuttie, likes to play and has loads of energy. Would be a great dog for someone who likes outdoor activities (me!? Have to control self...).

Fluffy is pretty good as well, no aggression that I have seen and acts like a puppy. Too bad Zoe didn't want to play.
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Scuba for keeping us updated. I love your stories and pictures.

Poor conehead, what is up with all the animals being set on fire lately???? New fad with the sickos?

Zoe is adorable, I hope her and Zeke get adopted together

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

It looks like you are taking this very seriously Scuba! Do I see a future rescuer or rescue group in the works??? I would say so.

I have been in rescue for years. It is very rewarding. I like another on this thread have been looking for another Rottie that would suit my life/animals etc. Interesting that since the passing of my Rottie - there are none around this area. If I were where you are - I would have taken one - no doubt!

Keep up the great work. BTW - there is an excellent Chow Chow/Sharpei rescue group here that goes to great lengths to save these breeds nationwide. Does this shelter contact rescue groups for assistance?
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Scuba,seeing a pup who's been hurt is probably not a good idea with me,I don't handle things like that very well,but thank's
Knowing you are there walking him,is enough for me,maybe one day we'll get to see him all healed,poor baby:sad:

Zoe might be like Bailey(Cocker) whom we walk every day,nobody ever played with her and now at 8 yrs old,she has no clue what to do with toys,we would love to play with her,but no go:sad:
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Some updates for Friday night (19th September 2008)

Lately I have been volunteering on Friday evenings as well. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to do Mondays anymore but the other commitment for changed to Wednesday. So, I am doing Mondays and Fridays at the moment. Anyhow, I was running a little late tonight and by the time I got there all the dogs were out already. Normally Fridays the SPCA is short of volunteers but since a new batch just got through orientation last week, right now they have more than enough people.

Tula and Zoe were both out so I just kind of stood around waiting for somebody to come back with any doggie. One of the first ones back was Sasha (7yo male), he had a girlfriend Bella. They came to the shelter together. Unfortunately Bella got adopted and Sasha didn't. Right now he is kind of sad and lonely. Doesn't really want to go on walks and stuff, best thing would be if he could get adopted as well, or at least into foster. Anyhow, the volunteer (my friend who just went through the last orientation, he had been on a few walks with me) who took him had a good time.

PS. Sasha is on the left and Bella is on the right (Bella got adopted yesterday)
Attached Images

Last edited by Scuba; September 20th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Next guy that was back was Fluffy/Puffy (whats with all the girlie names for the guys lately? Not only that they can't even decide on a proper name for him). He just got neutered a while ago and lately just isn't his usual self. The volunteer that took him out had to carry him back.

I tried to cheer him up by playing with him for a bit and gave him some treats. In a moment of excitement he headbutted me in the chin. It was pretty hard, all the other volunteers and the coordinator were asking me if I was all right. I was more worried about the little fellow but he was just looking at me and wagging his tail (missing all the fur, looks like a rat's tail).
Attached Images

Old September 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Then finally a doggie came back who needed to go out again. Her name is Daisy Mae, she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross. Somebody found her as a stray, she has a ruptured cruciate ligament. In the picture you can't see it but her right back leg, the fur is a little bit shorter where they shaved her to do the surgery.

She has oodles of energy but needs to take it easy. The thing is that she is kind of like Conehead. Not understanding why they need to take it slow in their own best interest. I took her for a walk, it was only 25 minutes but it was quite a fast pace, faster then I would of liked for her but there was no way to hold her back. It was a good thing that I took her out for a second time this evening since she did a big number two for me.

Its sad to see her with a gammy leg but I try to look on the bright side. Its pretty funny to watch her "sit" she is all slouchy to the left side with her right hind leg sticking straight out to the side. She caught on to the sit and wait at intersections pretty quick as well. Most of the time her slouchy sits turns into a lay down on her side that finalizes with belly rubs (whom is walking whom?).

When we got back to the shelter, I played with her for a bit in her kennel as well. She headbutted me as well, but in the forehead.
Attached Images

Old September 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Live well, laugh often

Sounds like you might need a helmet for your activities . Hopefully they will all find homes quick . I think small dogs don't usually have much problem finding homes, does that seem true to you?
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM

Of course by this time all the dogs had come back already so I had to say hi to all my buddies of course. First up was "Conehead", the injury that is on the inside of his groin is still not all healed up but it did look a lot better than four nights ago. They had to give him a new E. collar tonight since the old one was pretty bashed up.

Next I went to say hi to Tula, I actually went into her kennel to play with her. She was such a sweetheart. We did some obedience stuff, then I just kind of horsed around with her for a bit. Then I spotted this red rubber parrot toy that she had next to her water bucket. I pointed to it and told her to "Get it" and she did, such a smart girl. I think it has a squeaker inside, but it doesn't squeak anymore. Anyhow, we played tug with it for a bit and then fetch with it. I would throw it to the end of her kennel and she would bring it back to me. She got dog slobber all over me, but I didn't mind. When I told her it was bed time and put her toy on her bed, she just picked up the toy and zoomed around. Finally when I did go, she looked at me with those big brown eyes and I had to turn away.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM

TeriM - From what I have seen at the shelter, small or young dogs get adopted the fastest. Doubly so for small and young ones. The thing with Sasha is that he is 7 years old, there is nothing wrong with him, but to some prospective parents that can be off putting.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM

Finally I said hi to Zoe

I didn't go into her kennel though, since I had been in and out of quite a few already. I just said hi to her by the door, tickled her ears for a bit.

The problem is that there is kennel cough at the shelter again, we were good for a couple of months but apparently it just started up a few days ago. It comes and go. Quite a few dogs are over at the hospital (20 yards away, across the parking lot in the other building) and Brewster is in ISO (isolation) so I have to be really careful about washing my hands after each dog and using the disinfecting footbaths when going in and out of kennels.

Chico - You are probably correct about Zeke and Zoe not ever experiencing what playing is and therefore don't know how to react when other dogs or people want to play with them now.

Last edited by Scuba; September 20th, 2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Daisy Mae is a cutie!

Healing for all the kennel cough doggies @ the shelter

Old September 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Scuba,thank's for keeping us in the loop of the goings on at the shelter,the steady stream of dogs and cats and all the great people,like you,who volunteer their time.
I tend to stay away from shelters,only dash in to HS to donate stuff,because I am a big wuzzy coward
I am also impressed the shelter will do surgery on a "Staffie"I doubt they would do that here in the Toronto area,with the dreaded BSL.
Daisy-Mae looks like a sweety,hopefully she'll recover quick

So sorry the people who adopted Bella would not also take Sasha,I don't think I could have split them up,poor Sasha:sad:7yrs is not old age for a little dog.
for an end to the kennel-cough