Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Want a pup to cuddle

Question I want a puppy

I want a puppy but am having the hardest time, I mean I would like to adopt one but not alot of places are around to check out. My friend just got a free puppy from a lady she knows and they were all gone when I asked! why do I have this luck? I can't afford to pay like $900 for a puppy so either free or adoption are my only options. So this is my first time here and I don't know if I am even in the right place to be saying this!
Can anyone help?
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

How much experience do you have with dogs? Have you raised puppies before and know how much work they are?

Go to www.petfinder.org

On the left, put "Dog" as type of animal you are looking for. Unless you want a specific breed, just put "Baby" for age, and don't fill out anything else if you don't care about size, etc.

Put ON for location. There are a ton of puppies listed - many breeds and mixed breeds!
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Hi there and welcome!

A lot of people are in your situation--it does cost a lot of money to have a puppy. However, what a lot of people don't know is that the actual price you pay for the puppy is the cheapest expense of all!!! I'll break it down for you just in case you don't already know (you may know this though..I don't know!)

In the first year, a new puppy will run you well over 1000 dollars in extra expenses, if not much more.

For example, if you were to adopt a puppy from a shelter or humane society, you would pay about 300 for the actual dog. This would include having it spayed or neutered. Then, you would need take the dog for its first vet check--pay the vet fee, any fees for meds he or she may need (which is typical really). This could run you about 250 for the first visit. Then, your dog will need its shots if you want it to ever go outside. These shots will run you about 100 a piece for the visit and the shots--you get this done three times in the first year.

So--now you are at 850 in expenses so far for the first year. This however does not include food, toys, a crate, leashes, doggy coat and booties if needed, any special treats, doggie dish, doggie x pen, and training. This will run you about 500 in the first year.

So again, now you are up to 1350 in the first year. Keep in mind however, your dog may need its nails clipped--if you aren't planning to do it yourself--this will cost about 15 bucks a shot--every three months or so. Your dog may also need its hair cut--about 4 times a year. This will cost you about 35 dollars each time.

Now that being said, if you think you can afford the expense of a dog--and account for the numerous blips like ear infections, eye infections, etc that cost you even more money in meds and vet care...then you can check out www.petfinder.com to find a listing of all the animals awaiting loving homes in your region!! There are SO many of them just waiting to be loved by an who is there to give them a home and a life.
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Also just wanted to add the cost of the vets if your dog is sick,hurt,needs surgery.

$200-$1000+
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Resident Evil!

You may want to consider a young rescue dog, breed depending on your experience. My tobias was adopted at 8 months he is now 15 months. Our expenses included, Vet bills, neutering, food, treats, a couple of socks, several shoes, part of a couch, and countless of other goodies. It took two weeks to re - house break him, that was the easy part.

Now I start all over with a baby in five weeks, I hope you are patient, these suckers will give you nightmares. Oh did I mention the sleepless nights in the first few weeks after leaving mother?

Dar.
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello puppy lover and welcome......
After all that has been said.....have you thought of being a cat lover? Still expences but not as many....maybe a goldfish ....now they are cheap,,,,,lmao
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM

PuppyLuver, Let me say I love animals period, dogs, cats. I just lost my little cat to old age. I have mentioned to my wife over the last few years that I want a dog also. I have had three cats over the years and have seen first hand that except perhaps even though I know someone that does you cant walk most cats . They will give you all their love and attention, each one that I have had were lap cats wanting your love. Cal