Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

4 month old Puppy Shot in BC.. outside home

I didnt know where to post this.. I am outraged by this story..

VICTORIA - RCMP were asking for a B.C. hunter to turn himself in Monday after a puppy belonging to a boy who survived brain cancer was shot on the weekend.

The family of the 12-year-old boy say he was devastated after a hunter allegedly shot the puppy to death for no apparent reason.

Chris Rose, the boy's grandfather, said Monday his grandson, Max Rose, has been through many ordeals in his young life, but to see the boy suffering the loss of his 12-week-old puppy, Seymour, was heartbreaking.

"Naturally, the whole family is just absolutely upset. Tears and crying, on the street. It was just awful," the grandfather said.

"Particularly my grandson, who I should add four years ago had brain surgery for cancer. He is recovering quite well, but it took a long time, and he has emotional problems."

RCMP at remote Quadra Island, B.C., located about 265 kilometres northwest of Victoria, said they were investigating the shooting.

They believe one of two hunters who may have been involved in the incident on the weekend fled Quadra Island for the Victoria area.

"This dog was really my grandson's dog," Rose said. "It just was horrible."

Cpl. Craig Peterson said the Mounties were weighing firearms offences against at least one of the two hunters.

He said one of the hunters led police to believe he will turn himself in, but if that doesn't happen a warrant for his arrest will be issued. Police declined to identify the man.

Nick Rose, who could not be reached for further comment Monday, said earlier he was in his yard cutting firewood with his son Saturday morning when two men who had apparently been hunting went by.

The dog ran toward the men as they walked down the road and he heard a shot as the hunters rounded the corner, he said.

"The dog just sort of barked and ran with them (the hunters). Small little thing," said the grandfather.

He said the men were just out of sight when the father heard a gunshot.

"My son runs out, sees the dog quivering out there," Rose said.

"When he saw he saw these two guys standing over the dog, and they saw my son, they ran across the street and into the bush."

Rose, 78, said his son, Nick, found the dying puppy outside of the family property.

Rose said his son's family - including their 14-year-old daughter and Max - was extremely emotional after the shooting.

About 2,700 people live on Quadra Island, located a 10-minute ferry ride from Campbell River, on Vancouver Island's east coast.

Rose said he's lived on Quadra Island for 10 years, but is starting to feel uncomfortable, especially after the puppy shooting.

"Quite frankly, I have been giving it very serious consideration to move off of the island," said Rose. "It just so happens we have a few, more-than-rotten apples here."

Puppy:sad:
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

As outrageous as this story is - and I fully agree that the hunters involved should be prosecuted - it leads me to ask the age old (and very tired) question.....

WHY DIDN'T THE OWNERS KEEP THE DOG IN THE YARD!?!
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree & also why when the puppy was down street did they not immediately go after him.. it says went around the corner..

I dont let Diamond out of my sight when we are in the front be if she is tethered or loose (going to the car)

heck same with in backyard..
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Regardless as to why the pup was loose - this is an outrage. Another black mark on Canadians. Is this not criminally chargeable under the misuse of a firearm? I am sure they can get him on that because the laws for animals cruelty will certainly not punish him....at all or enough!I highly doubt that a 4 month old pup posed as a threat.

Last edited by BenMax; September 16th, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Because I made absolutely no sense!!
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

They will catch this guy in the end. Disgusting, and I will never believe it was a mistake. An article in the Globe and Mail brought an avalanche of mail, a lot of anti-hunting comments but also calls for stiffer laws around animal abuse. Anyone who thinks animal abuse isn't an issue in this country is just wrong. In their efforts to promote Harper as a touchy-feely guy, his campaign website mentions that he is fond of stray cats. Not fond enough, Stevie, not fond enough.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Doggie Wench

Poor little puppy. My heart aches for this young boy and his sister :sad:.

RIP Puppy .
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

he turned himself in!!

Cody Wellard, 31, turned himself into the Westshore detachment in Victoria Monday. His facebook profile shows him as an outdoorsman with with looks to be a large halibut. He belongs to several facebook sites with names like Coyote Ugly and pugs of Prince Albert.

Wellard is accused of shooting the puppy, Seymour, just metres away from its home on Quadra Island Saturday morning. Owner Nick Rose was outside doing chores with his three young sons doing chores at the time.

To donate to the family:
"The family has set up an account through the Quadra Island Credit Union and say monies contributed over the cost of a new pet will either go to pay for possible civil actions against the two men or be donated to the SPCA." https://www.quadracu.com/

I hope justice is served with this A-hole

Last edited by Diamondsmum; September 16th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope some one knee caps this twisted sick pile of human crap. RIP little pup...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
I hope some one knee caps this twisted sick pile of human crap. RIP little pup...
I second this! What ever happened to public flogging then hitting his wallet real good??
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

There has been a facebook group set up & WOW looks like many people + the owners of the puppy have joined..

he pissed alot of poeple off!
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
WHY DIDN'T THE OWNERS KEEP THE DOG IN THE YARD!?!
I saw it on the news last night , the area is very country like , private too. It's not like suburbs or city wise.

My stomach turned upside down when I saw it on the news , omg I thought my blood wanted to leave my body it was boiling so hard.

A business man donated money to the family so they could get another puppy , which is very nice . But this will never erase what happened. :sad:
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I saw it on the news last night , the area is very country like , private too. It's not like suburbs or city wise.
And your point is??

Sorry - but it really doesn't matter where you live you have to be a responsible dog owner. You can't have it both ways.

If a dog runs loose in the country and kills someone's chickens - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and attacks someone jogging down the road - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and is hit by a car - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and is shot by a hunter - it is the owner's fault.

Yes - the hunters should be prosecuted. But the owners need to step up and take some responsiblity too.

It is the responsiblity of every dog owner to attend to the safety and well being of their dog. In every environment - this means keeping the dog in the yard.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And your point is??

Sorry - but it really doesn't matter where you live you have to be a responsible dog owner. You can't have it both ways.

If a dog runs loose in the country and kills someone's chickens - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and attacks someone jogging down the road - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and is hit by a car - it is the owner's fault.

If a dog runs loose in the country and is shot by a hunter - it is the owner's fault.

Yes - the hunters should be prosecuted. But the owners need to step up and take some responsiblity too.

It is the responsiblity of every dog owner to attend to the safety and well being of their dog. In every environment - this means keeping the dog in the yard.
You are right, but I think what is bugging everyone is that this is excessive. Indeed the owners are at fault...theirs is pure ignorance. The hunters on the other hand is pure malice. There is a difference without sounding cocky.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I've spent a few days camping on Quadra Island a few years ago. It is a remote island and you need to take two ferries to get there from the mainland. We can't judge people the way us city folks do. Most people live there on acreages and it is just not practical to fence their property up. I don't think there's even leash by-law there. It is understandable to let their puppy to run about if they are just working in their yard. And I don't believe there's ever any justifiable reason to shoot a 4 m.o. puppy. Period.
My question is if the suspect has a criminal record as reported in the paper, why would he still can get access to fire arms. It is reported that a large number of fire arms have been confiscated from the property where one of the suspect's parent owns.

Last edited by TKW; September 17th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

definitely a good question TKW

Seems 22 firearms were confiscated from him.

And if your following the story seems when the owner recognized the hunters he didn't go after the puppy to begin with because the accused & a friend had crashed a party the victim had & there was a fight. (4 years ago)

Seems the accused & victim avoided each other at all costs & the shooting was the accused way of "getting his revenge".

*sigh
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

He was never charged for the altercation 3yrs (?) ago

Therefor no criminal record?

But can someone enlighten me on the hunting season/regulations in that area?
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
-

Quote:
And your point is??

My point is I blame the guy with the gun. You know , the person who actually killed the dog.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My point is I blame the guy with the gun. You know , the person who actually killed the dog.
If the pup had been hit by a car - would you blame the guy driving the car?

I am not saying that the guy with the gun shouldn't be charged. What I am saying is that people need to start taking responsiblity for their actions. If the pup had been kept in the yard - he would still be alive today.

It is part of being a responsible pet owner.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
gotta say i'm with Frenchy on this one, at no point did it say the pup actually left the property, since we don't know the people didn't own several acres we shouldn't assume. 1, the hunter shouldn't have been on their property in the first place ( trespassing) if he hadn't been there, the pup wouldn't have followed them.
2.) The pup getting hit by a car is a totally different situation than this and i think is a silly example. One act is an accident, one is the malicious act of a really sick, warped individual. If we want to go to extremes how do we know if the owner had gone after the pup, that the hunter wouldn't have shot him.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

all the stories I have read point to this area being the woods, near where the family was cutting firewood lets just say "crown land" & the "hunter' went around some bushes the puppy followed him.. The accused is saying its was an "accident"!! I am sorry a lil puppy doesnt to me look like a wild animal or can be mistaken for one?
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
-

Quote:
If the pup had been hit by a car - would you blame the guy driving the car?

I am not saying that the guy with the gun shouldn't be charged. What I am saying is that people need to start taking responsiblity for their actions. If the pup had been kept in the yard - he would still be alive today.

It is part of being a responsible pet owner.
I know what you mean , and I wouldn't be saying that if I hadn't seen the kind of place they live in .... it reminded me of our cottage when I was young. Small place , the only cars we would see (1-2 a day) would be the people who lived there (dead end road) people drive at about 30 km/h. The few people who did have dogs would never tie them up , they would be outside with them. Everybody was really careful , as there was also kids. It's just that kind of place , not rural , not a suburb , not a city .... just a tiny neighborhood in the country.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
gotta say i'm with Frenchy on this one, at no point did it say the pup actually left the property, since we don't know the people didn't own several acres we shouldn't assume. 1, the hunter shouldn't have been on their property in the first place ( trespassing) if he hadn't been there, the pup wouldn't have followed them.
2.) The pup getting hit by a car is a totally different situation than this and i think is a silly example. One act is an accident, one is the malicious act of a really sick, warped individual. If we want to go to extremes how do we know if the owner had gone after the pup, that the hunter wouldn't have shot him.

Quote:
Rose, 78, said his son, Nick, found the dying puppy outside of the family property.
Look.

I firmly believe that the hunters should be charged.

And no - the pup getting hit by a car is NOT a silly example. It happens every single day and it is sometimes a malicious act. And most times, when it happens, the owners of the dogs cry about the driver is at fault.

I really feel sorry for the little boy. And the poor puppy. But I also feel that being responsible for your pets is the easiest and best way to keep these things from happening. And I really believe that absolving owners from that responsiblity when bad things happen to their pets really isn't doing anyone any favors.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM
-

I do not think this should be an issue about "pet responsibility". Lots of us have had dogs that have accidentally escaped and that does not give someone a reason to shoot them unless they are destroying livestock. Even then I don't agree with it but that is the law.

I have not been to Quadra Island but from what I've read theses people live in a rural subdivision. My hubby hunts and we live in a rural subdivision. Discharging of firearms is not permitted near any poplulated areas around here.

What this jerk did was purely out of spite imo.
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Dogs on the loose - owners must take responsibility

I totally agree with the need for dog owners to take responsibility for their dogs. If you have a dog you love and care for whether you live in the city or in a rural area you are soley responsible for that dogs care and its well being. It is your responsibility to make sure your dog is on a leash or in a kennel if your property is not fenced in even if you live on a acreage. I have lived in a rural area and in a town and it is a poor excuse to say your dog just ran off of your property, obviously it was not being attended to. If your property borders onto an area where hunters hunt, then it is of the utmost importance during hunting season to ensure your dogs saftey by not letting it run loose. It is so easy to blame the person who runs over your dog with a car, of if in a known hunting area a dog gets accidently shot. It is your dog and you must take responsibility for it. It is people like the dog owner of this dog that give people who take care of their dogs a bad name.

Last edited by Jazzegirl; October 14th, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling error and forgot to add closing
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

UMMM

The idiot who shot the puppy did it on a street (he had a gripe against the puppies owner)

I believe this goes to court on Thursday

There is a difference also between a PUPPY & A dog
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:05 AM

This reminds me of a story here in Cape Town last year. A man killed his 4 month old husky pup with an axe because it attacked and killed one of his exotic birds. He got one of his farm labourers to hold the pup down. (we have very poor uneducated people in SA and they would never dare refuse a boss a command) One of the domestic workers who witnessed the incident through the farmhouse window told someone who went to the police. He was charged but let off with a stupid fine. It caused such outrage and every newspaper and magazine carried the story - he was publically ostracized. Six months later he was killed in a car accident, which also made national news, such was his notoriaty for what he did. I would like to think that it was a dog who appeared in front of him and made him drive off the side of the road. Then it really would be true karma. Maybe it was...
The bottom line is evil appears every where, in many different guises.
Sorry if i went off topic - my husband tells me i tend to ramble on
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai'smom View Post
This reminds me of a story here in Cape Town last year. A man killed his 4 month old husky pup with an axe because it attacked and killed one of his exotic birds. He got one of his farm labourers to hold the pup down. (we have very poor uneducated people in SA and they would never dare refuse a boss a command) One of the domestic workers who witnessed the incident through the farmhouse window told someone who went to the police. He was charged but let off with a stupid fine. It caused such outrage and every newspaper and magazine carried the story - he was publically ostracized. Six months later he was killed in a car accident, which also made national news, such was his notoriaty for what he did. I would like to think that it was a dog who appeared in front of him and made him drive off the side of the road. Then it really would be true karma. Maybe it was...
The bottom line is evil appears every where, in many different guises.
Sorry if i went off topic - my husband tells me i tend to ramble on
What comes around goes around - I say karma!

Though I never wish anyone death - I cannot say that I shed tears for this guy. Just the thought of this dog being held down to his death really leaves an impression in my head - I cannot imagine the horror.

What I don't understand is how people can watch this though...I absolutely know myself and there is no way that I could just pick up a phone.

Very sad story.
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Tnhis is too sick!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
There has been a facebook group set up & WOW looks like many people + the owners of the puppy have joined..

he pissed alot of poeple off!

what's the name of the group?
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the group got deleted Its not in my groups anymore