Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Update on "Seizure 5 days ago" possible Neospora?

We went to a new vet, one that did not recommend putting our lil monster, Nanook, down. She was so nice and seemed to be just as concerned as my husband and I. She said she thought maybe the first vet suggested putting him down as it would be costly to find out what is wrong and assumed we could not, or would not be willing to pay, but who knows!

The new vet kept him for the day and did a full blood panel, acid bile test to rule out liver shunt, neck x-rays and spinal tap. She said it was rare they ever find anything, but it would at least rule some things out and she could start him on anti-seizure meds. She got all the results back the next day and said we got lucky with the spinal tap. She said they did not find an actual parasite, but more some kind of crystals (forgot the name) that is commonly linked to Neospora. He also has meningoencephalitis, round worms and giardia. He is now being treated for all of the above. She is hopeful the treatment will stop the seizures, but if not, she will start him on phenobarbitol. A caring vet and $3000 later we have a little hope! She did prepare us for the fact that we may still lose him, but I believe she is doing her best and he seems to be improving up to this point
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the new treatment turns him around quickly, Rgeurts! I'm glad you got some answers--not the best news in the world, but at least now you know how to help Nanook kick this! The new vet sounds wonderful!

Please keep us posted on his progress!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you hazelrunpack, and no, not the best news, but it wasn't too bad, even a little promising!!
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantastic! Owners who go the extra mile for their dog plus a vet who cares, a great combination. I wish you all the best. He is a very lucky pup.
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Goldfields, will keep you posted!
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is he doing today, Rgeurts?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww Robin,I did not know he was sick,he looks like a perfectly healthy little pup...hopefully between a good vet and you,he will recover.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM

I saw your pictures, Rgeurts, and that Nanook is a heartbreaker. Hope to hear he's feeling better soon!
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
How is he doing today, Rgeurts?
He seems to be doing well the last couple of days. No weird episodes, no biting and chasing his tail and best of all... no seizures! He had 2, almost exactly a week apart. Tomorrow will be a week since the last, so hopefully we will make it past that! He's on steriods and 2 different antibiotics.
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Awwww Robin,I did not know he was sick,he looks like a perfectly healthy little pup...hopefully between a good vet and you,he will recover.

That was the odd thing Chico... we didn't even know he was sick until he had 2 grand mal seizures. Then weird little episodes the vet thinks may have been partial complex seizures. Other than that he has been a happy little monster
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
I saw your pictures, Rgeurts, and that Nanook is a heartbreaker. Hope to hear he's feeling better soon!
Thank you serenamlambe! I read the story on your baby earlier. I'm glad the vet doesn't think it's much to worry about (the murmur and the front leg getting stuck)! She is adorable!!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll add some s and some s for making it past that week mile marker! No more episodes and just clear sailing from here, I hope!

Old June 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Day 11 with no seizures and day 2 on lower dose of pred! Nanook is back to being his little monster self, yay! I think the meds are working
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That's wonderful news. It must have been such a worrying time for you. I hope the little darling has a fast recuperation and no ill effects from his bad start.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's great news, Robyn!!

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

That's what we want to hear,stay healthy,little guy