Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
<-----nut ball

Morning routine

I just wanted to make sure that I understand "morning routines" for dogs.

Ok.

They need to pee when they get up right?

And they need to pee/poop after eating right?

So..if I take the dog for a walk at 5:30 when I get up for 30 minutes, he/she pees.

Then home, feeding, I get ready for work. BF then walks the dog and me to my train, and the dog pees/poops.

Take the dog home, archie gets ready for work, leaving the dog at 7:30 AM for the day.

Would that work?
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM

That sounds pretty similar to what Terri and I do.

Terri gets up....lets Diamond out for morning pee at 6am.
Diamond gets breakfast at 6:10am and goes back in her kennel while Terri showers.
Terri gets out of the shower at 6:30, gets me up, and goes to get dressed.
I go in the shower and Terri leaves for work.
I get out of the shower, get dressed and let Diamond out of her kennel for post-breakfast play (at about 7am).
We play for the next hour and she has her morning poop/pee (about an hour after she eats)
She goes in her kennel for the day.

Our routine works very well for us and Diamond is very settled in a routine. Sounds like, as long as you keep the same routine, it'll work out pretty good!
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Schedule is everything

The best thing is a SCHEDULE. That's half the battle right there so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

When I needed to upgrade 1500 systems I worked a couple of hours every night for just over a week. That threw the schedule off and they started chewing, having accidents, misbehaving etc.

Once the schedule resumed life became good again. Try telling your boss you want to push an upgrade more aggressively because it's messing up 'your dogs schedule'.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
<-----nut ball

Hahah! that's hilarious.

"Boss, I can't work late tonight, because i don't want to screw up my dogs schedule!"

so, consistency is the key. Sounds good to me.

i just wish we had more options as to what trains we could take to and from work. There are only 4 each morning and evening.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, treat the new dog like an unhousebroken puppy at the beginning. He may be very well housetrained, but going to a new home can make dogs anxious and nervous, so be sure to take him out often so he learns quickly what the rules are and where the doors are!
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Our morning routine is

Charlie and Willy go out to pee, Charlie eats and then sits with me for some Mommy time while Willy eats. They both go back upstairs and lay with my husband while I have my shower.

Then I leave for work, my husband gets up and puts them out while he is having his shower, so they have some run around time.
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I have to agree that a routine is the best thing. Carlos works nights, so when he comes home in the morning, he takes the pups out to pee, and poop if there's time. They come home, I put the young ones in their crates, and Carlos drives me to work. He comes home, takes the dogs out again to pee and poop, play, comes home and feeds them, scoops the litter, and goes to sleep. In the evening, he gets up a bit early to take the dogs out for a pee, puts the pups in their crates, then leaves to pick me up from work. We get home, he takes them out for a poop, pee, and play time, I get their food ready, they come home and eat. Then we relax, and the pups play with the cats and eachother for a bit, then bedtime!!