Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM

Unhappy my dogs drunk?

please help! My daughter and I came home yesterday about 9 p.m. We left our dog inside at 3 p.m. When we arrived home, she was walking around like she was drunk, or her equalibrium was off. I called a friend and we made sure that her eyes dialated, she wasn't shaking, but she was loopy. She thought it might be antifreeze, or garbage gut. I fed her a cup of milk and a piece of bread. She ate it right up. She then got bloated and within an hour she pooped pale yellow stinky stuff. I locked her in her kennel and checked on her around 2a.m. She had gotten even loopier. I called the emergency vet ( i cannot afford to take her in.) We ruled out poisoning. She is an inside minpin. Maybe an epileptic seizure. While I was talking to him she passed out in my arms. She woke up every 20 minutes for the next 2 times, tossing her head side to side. It has gotten less. This morning she tried to get up and was pretty weak. Her tail is wagging, but she is still acting like she is drunk. she went out to go potty and got a drink. But needed some assistance. SHe ate and egg white and some milk. SHe doesn't open her mouth very well. I did and everything looks good in there. But she is still pretty loopy. She is 1.5 yrs old. could she have had a stroke, she is a little better than last night. Is it her ears? lisa
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Where do you people come from?

Get the dog to a vet.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Think how you will feel if this little dog dies cause you won't get treatment for her.

Do not give milk. This dog is an emergency and you must get her to the vet. Do you know you could be charged with cruelty for not trying to relieve the suffering of this dog?

She is a purebred Min Pin? Did you pay for her? If you can't afford (or don't want) to take the minimal care of your dog, why did you get her???
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM

Thumbs down MIN PIN AT RISK

At the risk of sounding harsh I feel you need to #1 get the dog to the vet at once and figure out the finances later and # 2 re evaluate your own financial situation and commitment to the well being of an animal you have taken responsiblity for. It would be best if you can't or won't elevate the dogs well being to a level that will ensure it's proper care and well being-give the animal to someone or an organizartion who will. The animal deserves better than your excuse that you can't afford to take her to her doctor. How would you like to be in a similar situation and not even understand what was happening to you and watching the people you trust for everything, stand around saying your aren't worth taking care of ??
No sympathy here for your failing to be responsible.
If it was you or your daughter I can bet you would find a way to do it.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

i agree with everyone her, get the animal to a vet asap. never give an animal, child or adult food if you think they may have been poisioned as this can cause complications and milk will not line the stomach after the fact.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I just don't understand,all these people with animals who cannot "afford" to look after them,we here all love our animals and that love does not diminish because the animal gets sick.
How can you live with yourself knowing you are doing nothing to help this little guy.
A Miniature Pincher must at one time have cost quiet a bit,I love those little dogs,take him to a vet ASAP worry about payment later.
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM

I agree!!! My pets are like children to me. I got them knowing that they would need vet treatment every now and again and have a little bit of money set aside just in case. Even if I didn't have any money, I would certainly find a way to get my animals treatment. I can't imagine knowing that there was something seriously wrong with them and not doing a damn thing about it. I thought my dog had worms and couldn't sleep because of that, I can't imagine how I would be if she were ever seriously sick. How would you feel if you suddenly became ill and needed emergency care, but oops, your family doesn't have any money... so they let you suffer. You people who get pets without any intentions of taking care of them make me sick. Pets are like children, they become sick from time to time and may just need care (besides milk, which by the way, should not be given to dogs!!!) People like you infuriate me!!!
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,what they all said.

And to top it off,you locked up your sick dog in the kennel.What,while you went to sleep?

Real friggin nice.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:02 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay well I had tor rewrite this thing cause I know I woulda got in poopies about it!

I wanna say, if this post is fake then you are a warped individual who gets a kick outta upsetting people with kind and loving hearts for animals (and people).

If this post is authentic then I suppose we are at our wits end with morons that decide to wait for the animal to die as cremation is cheaper then vet care right!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,I too wonder sometimes if these people ask dumb questions just to get us riled up,I hope this is the case with this little Pincher
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM

I'm with you on that. I am seriously starting to think that these people just write fake posts so they can watch the reaction. Funny how they rarely ever post another response (unless its nasty of course).

But maybe I just don't want to believe that anyone could possibly be that stupid or that cruel. I mean, my dog is acting drunk(??) so I locked her in a crate (??) and then watched later as she repeatedly passed out and she is pretty much dead now but I can't afford to take her to the vet??? Come on.
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Re: my dogs drunk?

Quote:
Originally posted by asil
please help! My daughter and I came home yesterday about 9 p.m. We left our dog inside at 3 p.m. When we arrived home, she was walking around like she was drunk, or her equalibrium was off. I called a friend and we made sure that her eyes dialated, she wasn't shaking, but she was loopy. She thought it might be antifreeze, or garbage gut. I fed her a cup of milk and a piece of bread. She ate it right up. She then got bloated and within an hour she pooped pale yellow stinky stuff. I locked her in her kennel and checked on her around 2a.m. She had gotten even loopier. I called the emergency vet ( i cannot afford to take her in.) We ruled out poisoning. She is an inside minpin. Maybe an epileptic seizure. While I was talking to him she passed out in my arms. She woke up every 20 minutes for the next 2 times, tossing her head side to side. It has gotten less. This morning she tried to get up and was pretty weak. Her tail is wagging, but she is still acting like she is drunk. she went out to go potty and got a drink. But needed some assistance. SHe ate and egg white and some milk. SHe doesn't open her mouth very well. I did and everything looks good in there. But she is still pretty loopy. She is 1.5 yrs old. could she have had a stroke, she is a little better than last night. Is it her ears? lisa
I found out that my dog had strep throat. Which my husband had. Dogs can catch this virus. It can make their ears swell and knock off their equalibrium. Making them appear drunk. You can get antibiotics for this or just ride it out. It took her about 48 hours to be back to almost normal. Hope this can help others. Thanks
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM

Finally

I am glad you finally found out what the problem was and for the sake of the dog's life and comfort you got the needed medications. My initial issue was and remains the fact you waited so long.
Good luck in the future.
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:06 AM

So glad you brought the dog in and it's better,
and thanks for that tip.

Homer
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Good news Asil..glad it was nothing serious,it sounded very serious,hence the responses.