Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:11 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Question can they hate their food?

Hi, I was recently feeding my dogs Purina Beneful because Purina seemed to be the brand I am most familiar with and all my dogs have lived long and healthy on it. Recently with the mad cow thing going on my gorcery stores say it is hard to get in certain brands and that seems to be one of the brands that isn't coming in. I had some left so I gradually switched them over to Pedigree. They don't eat it, they leave it in their bowls and walk around and eventually when they are hungry enough they finish it.

When I gave them Beneful they would prance and hop around and seemed to not be able to wait until the food was down to begin eating....I am wondering if dogs actually have a preference to the food and can actually distinguish between food they like and dislike or if maybe this Pedigree is better quality so they aren't as hungry as they were with Purina?

Can someone give me a little insight maybe...and for reference my dogs are a 2 year old 50 lb pointer and a 20lb beagle that is a year old. Thanks
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well Store bought pet foods are crap to be honest and purina is one of the crappiest !!

I feed natural home made foods supplemented with MediCal dry.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:34 PM

CJ, Check out carefully what exactly your dogs food is made of. A lot of brands of food are made out of crap! They just put more fat or flavoring so the dogs like the taste and get hardly any benefits out of the food. That's why a lot of dogs go through a lot of the cheap food. But that doesn't mean expensive is better! There are a few posts about dog food on here, check them out. A few of us feed RAW diets.
Homemade food, nutrionally balanced for them. There is a wealth of information out there. So good luck!
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:59 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Personally I am not for the raw diet...just me personally...I have had lengthy discussions with vets who were opposed and vets who were for RAW diets and I just decided that I prefer the storemade brands. I make sure that my brand is made with an acutal meat and not jsut chicken and/or beef and/or lamb and all that stuff. I also make sure that it has the seal on it because that means it is defiantly fulfilling your dogs needs with vitamins and minerals (not saying that there isn't a whole lot of other fillers in there as well for taste and look). But can my dogs really distinguish between foods and decide they don't like one over the other?
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

to be fair

Just to be really fair...what recipe do you use to make your own dogfood....If it seems simple enough and won't raise my food bill through the roof I would be willing to try it for a month and see if I find any difference....it would be worth it because I hate watching my dogs try and choke down food they obviously aren't excitied about eating.
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM

Good for you, for keeping an open mind and being concerned with your dogs diets. . I was going to tell you to really check Beneful out because there is hardly any meat in there. Meal and by-products, yuck!
You really should see what goes in dog food. They call it 3-D food. It really is nauseating! I myself used to buy the best food on the market for our 2 previous dogs, it was costing me $100.00 a month. I'm not kidding either, and then I found out just how good of a quality it really was. Human grade consumption is the best you can hope for, and what the meat in there is usually lungs, liver,and spleen.
Carina has a book out about RAW foods! And I have been using Wendy Volhard's diet for the past 4 months. There's definitly more work involved but if your up for it, your dogs will do way better on it!
Do you want the exact diet? Because I warn you it will seem overwhelming at first!!
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LOL @ Chany with the overwhelming

Carina has a great book out, pick it up and read a little about it!

Remember any improvement you make towards your dogs health is so beneficial in the long run.

If you are worried about doing it, just start to substitute one meal a day with home made food.
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Purina is one of the worst brands out there, probably second only to Ol' Roy!

If you don't want to feed a raw diet, there are many very good kibbles - Solid Gold, Innova, Wellness, and even Nutro. You will feed much less of these foods (most of them) have less poop to clean up and have a much healthier dog.
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is the link to Carinas book.

http://www.raw-dogs.com/default.htm

Hey Carina,do I get a cut from plugging your book?

Plugging?Did I say that right?

Sorry.It's parent/teacher night and my daughter neglected to get me times for 2 of her teachers.Needles to say,poop hit the fan when she got home......Teenagers....Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:12 PM

Dog food recipe

There is also a recipe for homemade dog food on this site.

Check out
http://www.pets.ca/recipes/recipe3.htm

Homer
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Chaney

If you have the whole diet I would like to hear it...overwhelming or not LOL....I figure if I am going into this I might as well go in full force. I have done a little internet searching since posting my last message and have found that most sites mention cooking up some oats, adding vegetables and raw meat to it. Does this sound right or am I totally missing out on something?

Also there seems to be a lot said on feeding them chicken...I was always taught that dogs choke on chicken bones because they splinter and can cause obstructions. Any info on that?
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was always taught that dogs choke on chicken bones because they splinter and can cause obstructions.
Cooked bones can and do crack and splinter and can perforate internal organs. RAW bones, which dogs have been eating since dogs appeared on this planet, are safe!

Carina can tell you the best bones to feed. Personally, I feed large raw beef rib and marrow bones to my dog. I believe dogs have a genetic need to chew on bones. The size of your dog can dictate which bones are best.
Old March 31st, 2004, 05:40 PM

As LR says, it is the cooked bones that are a problem. Little Oliver will often get a chicken wing as a meal. Just plop it in the bowl. Easy breezy and cheap!! Other meals that I make up for my little guy include me grinding chicken meat and bones or beef with raw veggies and freezing in single size serving baggies. I will also provide cooked food to Oliver as an alternative - mixed meat, veggies and rice. Again, put into single serving packages and then frozen. I also allow Oliver to pick at some dry food during the day since he is a puppy and the raw cannot stay out when he gets hungry after he is dropped off from his walk with his walker. The dry food I feed is Petcurean's Go! Natural. They are a British Columbia company but their foods are widely distributed. I also feed a multivitamin.

Oliver is under 20 pounds but I would estimate all in all, not including his repitoir of treats, his food bill is about $20-$25 a month. I may be a little off, so don't hold me to this!

Good luck to you no matter what you choose to feed, but please, do listen to the posters here since they know what they are talking about - any food available in a grocery store is marketed to owners for convenience and not quality. They are the worst foods out there!

Michelle
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:43 PM

CJ, Are you sure your ready for this.... Here goes, but remember keep an open mind, because this does seem intimidating. This diet is for a 50lb dog, so 1/2 it for a 25lb dog,increase it for a 75lb dog are you with me?
Breakfast: 3oz. dry grain mix, 2 tsp. molasses, 2 tsp. safflower oil,200 IU VitaminE, 200mg. Vitamin C, 50 mg Vitamin B,1 medium egg (4 times a week) and lastly 1/2 c. yogurt or kefir.
Dinner: 12 oz. meat, 2-1/2 oz liver,200mg Vitamin C, 1 tsp. cod liver oil, 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar,1/2 tsp. kelp, 1 tsp. brewer's yeast, 2 1/2 tbsp. bone meal, 2 tbsp. wheat germ, 3 tbsp. wheat bran, 2 tsp. dry herbs and finally 2 tbsp. fruit ( alternate days ). Also 1- 1/2 of a 325mg garlic capsule. But my vet and I are in a debate over garlic right now, so I don't know if I should recommend that or not.
This really isn't as much as it seems. I always pour boiling water over the meat, because I don't like the idea of all RAW yet. It's just me though if you can handle it, go for it.
My dogs love it, are growing nicely and have not yet experienced any growing pains with Abbey at all.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Wow

HA HA, that is quite the diet isn't it. I am still working on my boyfriend...he is worried about the increase cost in getting meat for dogs but I am looking into that. Are all those ingredients readily found or will I have to go to a specialty store to find them? I am starting to get really excitied with this....I love experiementing. Thanks so much for writing that all out to me I will copy it and probably follow it to the tee.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM

Well at first, I went to a health food store and it cost me around $80.00 for the vitamins etc. But now I buy the vitamins wherever its the cheapest. Everything else you can get at a grocery store or wholesaler. The meat, right now I buy frozen in the discount bin. It's really not that expensive compared to what I was spending before. A months supply of meat would maybe cost me right now $25.00 max, because she's on the 50 lb plan but she only weighs 35lb. Just because she's still a puppy and growing, when she hits 50lb, I'll put her on the 75lb plan. Oh yeah that budget also includes my little 12lb shih tzu. So no, I don't find it unreasonable at all.
I have one small cupboard with their stuff in it so its readily available and hassle free. I also prepackage a months supply of meat at a time.
But I'm rambling now so I'll shut up and let you absorb this
If you have any other questions, please ask
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:39 AM

CJ, Since you like experimenting, I also have good dog bone recipes...hahaha
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

more recipes...bring em on!!
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM

Here's their favorite...
GARLIC CHEESE DB
1-1/4c. shredded cheddar
1/4c. softened marg.
1-1/2c. whole wheat flour
dash of salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
6-8 tbsp. milk
In mixing bowl, beat cheese and marg. Add flour, garlic and salt and mix well. Add enough milk to form stiff dough. Cover and refrig. for 30 min. Roll out dough until 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake @ 375 for 15-20 min. Hardens as cools. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
Here's another fav...
PEANUT BUTTER PUPPY POPPERS
2c w.w. flour
1c. peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1c. milk
1 tbsp. baking powder
Preheat oven to 375. Combine flour and b.p. In another bowl mix p.b. and milk, then add to dry ingred. and mix well. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness, cut into shapes. Bake for 20 min. on a greased cookie sheet until lightly browned. They burn easily. Store in airtight container.
I use these as rewards if they do their business outside, they go straight to the cookie jar when they get in.hahaha Didn't take them long to figure that out!