Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM

sick cat

Hello, my 11 year old female spayed shorthair domestic cat is in the hospital and we havent been able to figure out what is wrong. Started about 2 weeks ago with vomiting of food, I figured this was hairball problem. Then about 1 week ago she started vomiting almost immediately after drinking or eating. I took her in and had bloodwork and urine work done. All bloodwork was normal except for very high white blood cell count. Doctor prescribed 22.7 Orbax. Brought her home, gave one dose, she was very lethargic, hiding in one spot all day, drank water threw up immediately with hair, not in a ball, but still a significant amount.

Took her back to vet, barium test with x-rays done, barium still in stomach after 4 hours, put her on antibiotics, fluids, etc. Considering surgery. Vet gave her Valium to induce eating and got her to eat some, and she kept it down. Laxatone given several times. I went and saw here yesterday and she was still under effects of Valium, but she seemed more alert, and knew who I was.

I'm just wondering how far I should go with this. I want her at home and well, I hate to she here staying so long at the hospital. Any suggestions as to what these symptoms could signify? The vet seems to think there may be an obstruction with a bacterial lymph infection. Thank you so much, Kelly
Old June 29th, 2003, 06:01 PM

update sick cat

Timmy-Thanks for yout reply.
Vet just called and I went and saw Flossie, she had passed the obstruction overnight (hairball), and I got her to eat some tuna fish, but she is very weak, still on iv with nutrients, fluids, etc. Doc is going to do another blood workup in the morning. She did meow at me and purr, but won't stand. She kept the food down while I was there, so that is much better than before. I may just bring her home tomorrow as she has been in hospital for about 5 days now and I know that is very stressful. Did your cat recover okay? I just want to bring her home. Kelly