Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Mr. Surprise

so my daughter as I've said before, rescues guinea pigs, normally she rehomes them but once in awhile she keeps them, she lost two this year (old age) and only had one old male, almost 8 yrs which is very very old for a guinea pig, so august 12th she gets a call from a woman getting rid of a 5 month old and would she take it and find it a home or she was taking it to the bush and releasing it, Angie (daughter) took it, her son named it baby...she's a cutie, yesterday we go over and her bf says to her "when were you going to tell me?" we were stumped...he pointed at the cage, we went to look in at her and lifted up her "igloo" and low and behold, a two day old baby *LOL* no one knew she was pregnant!! she must have been about 2 weeks when they got her and the owner only had her a week so it had to have happened at the pet store where she was purchased. my god its a sweetie, so being the daughter is preggers and the baby as far as we can tell is a male it needs its own cage in 3 weeks, the male is too old to have a baby put in with him and I don't want daughter to take on more cage cleaning so its possible "baby's baby" will be coming to stay at grama's...I'm thinking of the name PB for peanut butter*L* what do you guys think???

3 days old (we think)

"mom and baby"behind his ears is all black
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I didn't know they could have such long hair! What a cutie baby.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

oh Marty, you should see Spike, her old male, we have to keep trimming his hair because he gets all tangled up in it *L*
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,I have never seen a Guinea-baby before,adorableand mom is gorgeous..
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Half Way To Crazy

so *peanut butter* will get that furry also?? will his fur get that dark also??

(I know nothing about guinea pigs)
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

it won't get dark Breeze, it will pretty well stay the color it is, but we think he/she will have long hair because its very soft right now, the long haired are softer than the shorter hair, but again, it all depends who the father is. hey ween themselves around 2 weeks old and the males by 3-5 weeks old can breed with their moms or siblings, so it will have to be taken away then. it already eats solid foods.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

So people think they can release into the bush....how sad.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

she rescued 3 like that marty, two we were told about and the third was sighted in a field down town and we went searching and found it. I myself have chased and caught domestic rabbits and hamsters!! in my back yard, I'm next to an empty field/bush
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omd, I've never seen a baby one!! It's adorable! Mom is gorgeous, too! I'm so glad your daughter was there to be her ! Peanut Butter suits him... Or, since the back of his ears are black and if he gets as hairy as mom, call him Dirty (cuz his ears look dirty) Hairy. I know, I know...I need more coffee...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

well hell *LOL* I love the name Dirty Hairy *LOL* man that would suit him to a T *L*
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh wow! You mean I picked a winner? Without coffee??!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What a sweet little baby boy
I love baby "anythings" lol. And I LOVE Dirty Harry
You and your daughter are 's for sure

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Skylar's Farm

Aw, I love the way piggies are born ready for action. Your Mom is a Peruvian and that is my favourite breed. The first pig that I owned ( in the old days ) was a Peruvian that my Mom had got from a pet shop and that pig was also knocked up. She gave me FOUR babies, what a commotion that was. Luckily my Dad made me a condo hutch.
Best wishes with the new "grand piggie".