Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Maddox and I say thank you all

I wanted to take the time to thank members here that have followed my journey with Maddox. I wish to give a special thanks all those that have contributed in helping Maddox get the medical care that was and still is required. I do not know who you all are as I know most of you by your Pets.ca names. You know who you are...and I want to give you my gratitude.

To date, I have been in constant fundraising mode to offset his medical expenses which is ridiculously high. So far with donations and the fundraising I have been able to contribute $1624.29 towards his care. Many people have come together to make this happen.

Maddox is doing great. His heartworm treatment has been successful thus far but we still have a long road ahead of us. He wants so much to play but unfortunately I must keep him as quiet as possible - a difficult task!

He is not scheduled for his leg surgery until February or March, but with pain meds - we are able to wait.

During this time, and with Maddox getting stronger, I have to tell you that his true character has emerged. He still is a loving boy, respectful and trustworthy. He has definately got a bounce in his step now and he is picking up some habits from my brat Julia. Both are two pees in a pod - causing a little rackus in the neighbour with the other dogs, but luckily he understands what is acceptable and what is not. It will be work in progress but I am up for this challenge.

I also found out that Maddox had an imbedded collar that healed very badly (I actually found out a while ago but neglected to post this). Also, he has been beaten in the past...badly as just the sight of a stick or even a raw hide bone causes him to duck, hide and pee all over the place. My poor boy.:sad: On the up side - he is starting to understand that hands are for loving, petting and hugging - and I have to tell you that he is lavishing in this 'luxury'. All is going very well thus far.

Maddox also is a clown. Every morning at 6 am when my alarm goes off, and I refuse to get out of bed - he will take my sheets and bedding off of me and start barking...I guess it's time to get up! My personal bath time is not all that personal anymore. He will stay in the bathroom with me (along with 5 cats and Julia) and when he feels it's time for me to get out of my luxury - he will steal my PJs and slippers. What a character.

So thank you once again to those that continue this journey. I luv you all so very much....and so does Maddox!
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so happy to hear he's getting better!

The thought of any animal being abused is enough to make me sick and angry beyond belief. I can only hope Maddox realizes that he will never be in that position again, and those days will be a lost memory to him.

It sounds like he's settling in wonderfully! A picture would be appreciated you know.

And as for the bathroom? LOL, I actually have gotten to the point where if I don't have at least one of my gang in the bathroom with me I feel lonely.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the update, BenMax.

So glad to hear that Maddox continues to come out of his shell, even if his true personality is a dog, lol. I bet Julia loves having such a willing student .

It just breaks my heart to know that people are so cruel as to beat other living beings :sad:. I just don't get what goes through their heads .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
-

Great update BenMax
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Thanks for the update, BenMax.

So glad to hear that Maddox continues to come out of his shell, even if his true personality is a dog, lol. I bet Julia loves having such a willing student .

It just breaks my heart to know that people are so cruel as to beat other living beings :sad:. I just don't get what goes through their heads .
BTW - I do know your name....and thank you so much L4H . Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG He sounds like a little devil hahaha. Takes your blankies off and steals your pjs

Their powers of forgiveness with humans when others have wronged them so is always amazing to me Humans could learn from their spirit.

So glad you are enjoying this journey with him...I am sure you are ALL (five cats????) enjoying the ride and I think Julia must be happy to have someone else to blame things on

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Their powers of forgiveness with humans when others have wronged them so is always amazing to me Humans could learn from their spirit.

So glad you are enjoying this journey with him...I am sure you are ALL (five cats????) enjoying the ride and I think Julia must be happy to have someone else to blame things on
It is amazing how they forgive...but they never fully forget. I have had so many fosters in my home that were abused at various levels. The worst was my own GSD years ago, he never fully recovered but he knew that I was never going to hurt him...as for others, he never fully trusted.

Animals have an amazing spirit. I always say that we can learn so much from them. I think it's for this reason they are not with us long as we must continue to learn and be inspired as they all have something very unique and different which reminds us that we are the ones that must find that balance within ourselves, our lives and others. They remind me anyways, that I must try and be as kind to others, and also must know when to forgive and forget.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, thank you so much for the update. It's so good to know that Maddox is getting his spirit back. Good to know he's keeping you on your toes too! What a devil he is - isn't it great. Apparently your loving brings out the best in him BenMax.

I agree that we all can learn from these wonderful animals. The dogs and cats can all get along why is it so hard for us humans to figure out? It hurts my heart to think of somebody hurting a pet. Thankfully that's never going to be part of Maddox's life again thanks to you. Bless you for helping and loving him.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
BenMax, thank you so much for the update. It's so good to know that Maddox is getting his spirit back. Good to know he's keeping you on your toes too! What a devil he is - isn't it great. Apparently your loving brings out the best in him BenMax.

I agree that we all can learn from these wonderful animals. The dogs and cats can all get along why is it so hard for us humans to figure out? It hurts my heart to think of somebody hurting a pet. Thankfully that's never going to be part of Maddox's life again thanks to you. Bless you for helping and loving him.
Oh and I know your name too Dog Dancer. to you dear friend for contribution received.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
-

What a wonderful update.

LOL @ the sheet pulling and pj stealing ....it must feel wonderful knowing that his personality is now coming through because of you and the loving care you have shown him.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
What a wonderful update.

LOL @ the sheet pulling and pj stealing ....it must feel wonderful knowing that his personality is now coming through because of you and the loving care you have shown him.
It's a pretty scary sight seeing me jump out of the tub and chasing the dog down while he drools all over my PJs. Not to mention the poor neighbours (hopefully they don't see the streaking in my home).

Thank you Rainbow
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
It's a pretty scary sight seeing me jump out of the tub and chasing the dog down while he drools all over my PJs. Not to mention the poor neighbours (hopefully they don't see the streaking in my home).

Thank you Rainbow
I've seen you, I don't think neighbours would complain too much if they accidentally saw you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a marvelous update on Maddox! It's so heartwarming to hear such dedication. I wish all pet owners could become true pet lovers as you are BM. Thank you for giving Maddox such a fantastic life. I am sure he will thank you over and over again.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, I was wondering how sweet Maddox was doing, thanks for updating us.

The sheet pulling and barking and stealing your pj's and running with them, made me laugh. I'm so glad he is doing so well and starting to show his true self. I love dogs with a sense of humor.

How long will the treatment for heartworm take? And when will u know for sure if he will be ok?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You mean you are NOT supposed to have a dog or cat in the washroom with you at all times?!?!?!

Glad to hear that he's doing better.

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

ben max- i sent you a email, hope you got it!!, i have 2 pins that are sick our vet appt is tom at 6, its not looking to good , give me a couple of days i would love to help you and your little man, like i said in my email, brenda and the pins.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
BenMax, I was wondering how sweet Maddox was doing, thanks for updating us.

The sheet pulling and barking and stealing your pj's and running with them, made me laugh. I'm so glad he is doing so well and starting to show his true self. I love dogs with a sense of humor.

How long will the treatment for heartworm take? And when will u know for sure if he will be ok?

Debbie
Tundra Queen - thank you for the donation received. - It has gone to great use in his heartworm treatment.

The treatment was aggressive as he was stage II heartworm. It consisted of two invasive needles that went into the spine. He did very well, however there was a danger to this. It really was a 50-50 - I chose this as regardless if taking the 'safer' route or this route - either way, he could have died.

It takes about 6 months for the worms to be out of his system. The problem is that as these worms die, they travel through the blood stream. If a dog gets overly excited, the blood pumps through more quickly and therefore the worms could accumulate while travelling through the blood stream and block an artery - this is the danger as the dog will die. (sorry - I am not very technical while explaining this). So in saying this - it will be another 4 months before he is out of the woods. Once he is cured, we will tackle his knee - but it is the lesser of all evils.

So Maddox is enjoying his life so much. He is such a wonderful boy.

Again - I thank you so much for your assistance.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

You have been in all of our thoughts. I am so glad that he is fighting his way through this
Keep fighting the good fight, BenMax
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
You have been in all of our thoughts. I am so glad that he is fighting his way through this
Keep fighting the good fight, BenMax
Thank you Macomom for helping me generously through this fight. So much appreciated dear friend.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Wasn't me, Benmax. Strange things have happened in my house since the dogs starting using PayPal
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wasn't me, Benmax. Strange things have happened in my house since the dogs starting using PayPal
Well then Macomom - please tell your puppers that Maddox is very appreciative.
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I am so happy to hear that Maddox is on the mend and starting to torture mommy. When you have a dog sick and really out of character, you will gladly except any weird behavior from them.
Maddox is having a party at your place Benmax.
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
I am so happy to hear that Maddox is on the mend and starting to torture mommy. When you have a dog sick and really out of character, you will gladly except any weird behavior from them.
Maddox is having a party at your place Benmax.
You are so right - I would not trade his little antics for anything in the world. It is just so encouraging for me to see and know that he is enjoying life...finally.

I am very grateful to have Maddox in my life. He is a perfect combination of both Ben and Max. It is almost like my both past loves got together and sent me Maddox. I am sure they are looking down and both give two paws up for approval.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I am sure they are Benmax, with all 8 paws of approval. Maddox is one very lucky boy to have found you.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, I didn't know it took 6 months,,, I thought it was only 6 weeks before the worms got out of the body...gee was I way off.

I will keep saying that sweet Maddox will be ok.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
-

Quote:

I'm so happy Maddox is recovering ! Slowly , but surely I wish you could take pics of him so we could see his sweet face

keep up the good work BM

oh and , is Maddox giving kisses now ????
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy - Maddox is giving me NO kisses. But he does give me head butts and nudges. I will take what I can get!
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

You know BM, some dogs are just not kissers. Shadow gives me kisses once in a while (like if I leave her alone with somebody else when I come back I get a quick kiss). But she also gives head buts and nudges regularly. I think it's much more special to tell you the truth.