Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescued from certain death.

A girlfriend and I were on our way home from town this afternoon when we spotted two magnificent Wedge-tailed Eagles in a paddock dining on a 'dead' lamb.
http://www.ozanimals.com/Bird/Wedge-...ila/audax.html

We did a U turn to get a photo, however they flew off, but we saw the poor lamb raise its head, so I shot through the fence to see what the damage was. Bite, or peck marks on the ear, neck, rump, back and it looked to be shocked perhaps, so thinking it would need antibiotics at least, we decided to take it to the farmer. The other sheep had abandonded it and were out of sight over a hill. Hardly went any distance and a smaller lamb ran off the side of the road towards the car, so grabbed that also. Couldn't raise the farmer and had to get home to feed my orphan twins, so decided to bring it back with us, then I rang the owner. Well, he doesn't want the lambs, so now I've got 4 on the bottle. Wish this little ewe lamb luck eh? She had no suck reflex to start with, just starting though.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay! You are their guardian angel .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, wow! Close call for the lambs! So happy you were able to save them (although I'm sure with 4 on the bottle right now, you're wishing there weren't so many )

Eat hearty and grow fast little ewe so you're safe from eagles!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

GF,than dawg you were there to save them
That bird though,is a magnificent bird,never thought they'd go for a lamb
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, yes, they're wrong saying the Eagles won't go after lambs. Bird enthusiasts try to guard the Eagle's reputation by not including lambs in the diet but my friend's husband watched an Eagle attack one of their (live) lambs, and a friend in Queensland watched one going after a full grown Peacock. It's why farmers always shot them, Chico2. Such a shame and they became very scarce in this district, but they are staging a comeback now. Maybe something to do with tougher gun control. They're a protected bird incidentally. Don't know what the answer is really. That guy could have had his lambing ewes in a paddock next to his house but then if he still didn't pay more attention to them the crows, never frightened off easily, would still find sick lambs or dead ewes and their presence must alert the Eagles that there is food available. The paddock the lambs were in had a number of dead sheep in it. Anyway, this morning she's up and alert, not sucking brilliantly but she is taking the lot. I have fingers crossed for her.The other, a merino judging by all its wrinkles, is terrific, so hopefully they'll both thrive,
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what kind of person is this moron??
Leaving dead sheep in the paddock,why did they die??would that not be against the law???
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Typical of some farmers I think, Chico. They haven't all got the time or enthusiasm to watch their ewes and assist the way I do and don't want to bother bottkle feeding lambs. For starters their ewes aren't as well handled as mine and they are in much bigger paddocks. Don't know why they'd have died. Twin lamb disease maybe, or prolapses when lambing. Whatever can kill a ewe when she's lambing.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Skylar's Farm

It's fantastic that you saved those babes and I would have done the same thing.
Around here many sheep farmers have a donkey out in the field for protection, would that work in the case of your raptors ?
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know much about donkeys, Bina. The Wedge-tailed Eagle is pretty daring. My husband was once driving in his work ute and an Eagle took a magpie right beside it. There was a big puff of feathers as it hit. I'd say this lamb might have been the victim of a diving eagle too, and the wounds of the talons are what's on its back, while the bleeding wound on its neck was from it grabbing her by the neck with its beak. They're big birds so no wonder the lamb was lying as if dead, it'd be some knock. Anyway, that lamb seems good but the other lamb crashed badly on Saturday night , I got up to find it chilled to the bone, with its little gums white. However, regardless that hubby and I were positive it would die, I gave it some penicillin in case it was fighting a bacterial infection, and laid it close to the heater. Merinos aren't as tough as cross breed sheep yet little 'Wrinkles' fought back, clambering to its feet after a couple of hours. He is now wearing a Shetland Sheepdog puppy sized lambskin lined oilskin coat to keep him warm. He was in very poor condition so needs to be putting energy into gaining condition, not trying to keep warm. Photo's of him as soon as the camera's battery is charged.
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

awww thank god you were there for the babies.
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Contributor

It's pretty amazing, Melinda, to rescue just one, but to get the second one was such a bonus. Poor little guy would have starved to death.
Attached Images

Old September 26th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Awe, lucky babies.

for saving them.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

what a doll!!! and so debonaire in his coat *L* so how old would he/she be?
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

The one in the coat is a boy and only a day or two old, the one the Eagles got is a girl and a little older. I can't help wondering whether the Eagles can scare off the ewes, the whole flock had gone off over the hill away from them.
The funny thing about that coat, Melinda, is because it's loose, if he puts his head down it slides forward, then when he lifts it he can give the appearanace of a tortoise emerging from its shell. LOL. He's coping well with it though and is snice and warm under it, I had a feel tonight.
Must do their last, very late feed now.
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He looks quite dashing in his coat, GF! Is he doing better now?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Skylar's Farm

Oh, I just love the coat too. My friend has little knitted wool sweaters for newborn lambs who are born in early spring when it's still too cold in the barn. It's so funny to see a lamb in a sweater.
Good Luck with these little babes.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

That'd be worth a photo, Bina. LOL. You have a nice caring friend. The dog coats are great for outside, really keeps the wind out, but not as cute. My Dorper twins spent their first night outside last night and don't seem any the worse for it. They can come over to the house yard now and be with the merino lambs, only stabled at night.
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Senior Contributor

how are they feeding now GF? are they like calves etc and drink from mom only a few weeks? I remember weening the calves and having them drink milk from buckets at around 5 weeks or so.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

My rescued lambs go straight onto bottle feeding, using lamb and kid milk replacer in a powder form, and the ones with the ewes drink off them until their mothers are sick of them, 5 months at least. Wrinkles crashed again tonight and nearly died, so more injections for him I think. He finally rallied enough to have a good feed, albeit fed to him while he was lying down. Poor little fellow, I hope he makes it.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

*sending up prayers for him* I think you should rename him after a boxer or something, he's a fighter for sure....
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Awww, GF, what a beautiful baby. I've said before that you are a beautiful woman, and I'll say it again.

Thank you so much for helping these precious little babies

I sure hope they both make it!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

GF you are so wonderful for caring for these two. They were certainly blessed the day you drove by. I hope Wrinkles fights for life, with you in his corner he's got a great chance.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Skylar's Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
My rescued lambs go straight onto bottle feeding, using lamb and kid milk replacer in a powder form, and the ones with the ewes drink off them until their mothers are sick of them, 5 months at least. Wrinkles crashed again tonight and nearly died, so more injections for him I think. He finally rallied enough to have a good feed, albeit fed to him while he was lying down. Poor little fellow, I hope he makes it.
Oh, I hope that Wrinkles has had a good night.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

What a cute little guyI too hope and have myfor little Wrinkles...you did a good thing saving these little ones.
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sending more s and for Wrinkles from this end, too!

Old September 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers for the little guy. He's toileting fine, just really flat and not drinking as well as he should. I can feel his little horn buds already, if he survived I'm not sure what they do to stop them growing. The merino rams have a massive set of horns. These weak lambs are heartbreaking really, they can linger on for a fair while before dying, so it's quite depressing.
I like your name idea for this lamb if it survived, Melinda, I might rename him Lionel if he makes it, after our world class aboriginal boxer, Lionel Rose.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, sad news . Wrinkles didn't survive. He was maybe fighting a losing battle after his very bad start, having no colostrum and who knows how long before his first feed. Poor little fellow.

The merino ewe (attacked by the eagle) however is fighting fit and growing like a mushroom, she towers over my Dorper twinnies.
Attached Images

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

My Shetland Sheepdogs are quite at ease with the lambs, but Perkins, the Australian Cattle Dog, can't be in with them, he does give them a nip. Jarrah on the other hand has gone clucky on sighting them and has made milk. She wants to adopt all 3. I've had this happen before, the ACD's can be excellent mothers and some are prone to phantom pregnancies and this urge to adopt babies of any description. My foundation female wanted to adopt baby chickens for instance.
Attached Images

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

awww I'm so sorry Wrinkles didn't make it, but glad the other is holding its own, what wonderful pictures!!!!! I love the one of them all laying down in one gathering!!!
Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM

Is Jarrah a dog? That started producing milk? That's too funny!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie