Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM

Dog Pee....everywhere!

My chihuahua is a 1yr old and we found him in our back yard so he was an outside dog I think. Well, lets get to the point...I have tried everything possible to keep him from peeing on things I have around the house. We have trainging pads all over our home and he still cant use them right. We also got that spray you use to put on things so that dogs know not to pee there and he still does it. Telling him NO still does not work or trying to redirect him to the right spot to let it out. What can I do? it got to the point that I have no sheets on my bed because they are all dirty by his pee...
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Bulldog Mom

Aaaah we have the same problem but at least you have an excuse you haven't been training him for a year. Are you crating? It works wonders on most dogs (except mine apparently )
Good luck!!
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the person who had him before didn't bother to house train him. In which case, you need to start from the beginning. Try tethering him to you in the house, so that you can learn to see the signs that he needs to go and then take him to one of his pads.
Do you take him outside to pee when you're there? Because if you are looking for appropriate inside and outside peeing, it can be confusing for them.
Also, if he hasn't seen a vet since you got him, it would be a good idea, in case he has a urinary infection and to check his general health.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolabee View Post
Aaaah we have the same problem but at least you have an excuse you haven't been training him for a year. Are you crating? It works wonders on most dogs (except mine apparently )
Good luck!!
What is crating? Sorry I dont know what that is...We have been trying our best to train him to pee on pads we have around the house because when we are not home we want him to know he can do it on a pad. It got to the point that he got our other dogs that are in the house to follow him in what he is doing as in peeing everywhere.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Maybe the person who had him before didn't bother to house train him. In which case, you need to start from the beginning. Try tethering him to you in the house, so that you can learn to see the signs that he needs to go and then take him to one of his pads.
Do you take him outside to pee when you're there? Because if you are looking for appropriate inside and outside peeing, it can be confusing for them.
Also, if he hasn't seen a vet since you got him, it would be a good idea, in case he has a urinary infection and to check his general health.
Yeah thats what we thought that maybe they did not train him right. What do you mean by tethering him to me, like keeping and eye on him? We try to see when he sniffs a lot thats a sign that he needs to pee. He knows to use the restroom on the pads because when I correct him he goes to them, but there are times that I am not there to tell him or I am not looking and he is already peeing on the bed. When he is in the middle of doing the restoom he looks at me with this look like I can pee anywhere face... I dont take him outside just yet because he runs and last time he got lost for a day or so then we founf him in our ally again. I already took him to the vet so I he is healthy. I also go thim fixed about 3 weeks ago thinking that would help the peeing on things but it did not.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am sure the doggie experts will be along soon to help. Until then.......

You need to start from scratch as badger has stated. He needs to be crated when you are not home. When you are home he needs to be tethered to you. Tethered means he is on a lead(leash) attached to your waist/belt/whatever so that you can watch him very closely. Tethering him to you makes it so much easier to keep an eye on him. He also can not sneak off to pee or have a BM.
If you are leaving pee pads around for him to use when you aren't there he, IMO, will just get more confused. As I said earlier; if you are not around he needs to be in a dog crate. He is a small dog so the smallest crate will work for him. He needs enough room to stand, turn around, and lie down. He will not pee in the crate as most dogs do not like to dirty their beds. No food, no water put in with him. Make sure before you leave you take him outside on a leash to pee/BM and immediately upon returning to the house put him in the crate. If you like you can leave a kong stuffed with kibble in it to keep him happy. When you get home take him immediately outside, on a leash, and keep him out until he does his thing. When he does praise him profusely. Even if that means you look a little goofy. When you return to the house keep him tethered to you so you can watch him.
He needs to go outside immmediately after: waking from a nap, eating, drinking, playing, etc. When I started training my dogs years ago I would take them out every half hour. It didn't take long to get them trained.
If your yard is not fenced in then he should not be going out alone at any time. Especially when he has a tendancy to run.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I am sure the doggie experts will be along soon to help. Until then.......

You need to start from scratch as badger has stated. He needs to be crated when you are not home. When you are home he needs to be tethered to you. Tethered means he is on a lead(leash) attached to your waist/belt/whatever so that you can watch him very closely. Tethering him to you makes it so much easier to keep an eye on him. He also can not sneak off to pee or have a BM.
If you are leaving pee pads around for him to use when you aren't there he, IMO, will just get more confused. As I said earlier; if you are not around he needs to be in a dog crate. He is a small dog so the smallest crate will work for him. He needs enough room to stand, turn around, and lie down. He will not pee in the crate as most dogs do not like to dirty their beds. No food, no water put in with him. Make sure before you leave you take him outside on a leash to pee/BM and immediately upon returning to the house put him in the crate. If you like you can leave a kong stuffed with kibble in it to keep him happy. When you get home take him immediately outside, on a leash, and keep him out until he does his thing. When he does praise him profusely. Even if that means you look a little goofy. When you return to the house keep him tethered to you so you can watch him.
He needs to go outside immmediately after: waking from a nap, eating, drinking, playing, etc. When I started training my dogs years ago I would take them out every half hour. It didn't take long to get them trained.
If your yard is not fenced in then he should not be going out alone at any time. Especially when he has a tendancy to run.

Thank you so much for this information you have given me. I am going to try those things to see if it helps. When we went for lunch one day we left him in a doggie crate for about 1hr 30mins but he still used the restroom when he was in there. To me it looks a little like he is testing me..to see what my limits are to see how much I get mad. I dont know if thats at all possible but I think it is. he knows where and when to go but he just double crosses me at times then I correct him and he goes where he is supposed to. I was reading that one of your pets gets seizures how do you deal with it? I mean like what kind of meds do you give him and how do you comfort him after having one? my 7 week old puppy has them and the vet just gave me vitamins to give him and said to put him to sleep, but he looks fine after he has an attack and I dont feel I need to put him to sleep.

Last edited by aamylee; February 17th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Owned by goldens

Have you brought him to the vet to make sure there isn't a medical reason for his peeing everywhere? Is he neutered?
I would get a crate that isn't much bigger than he is. The reason being is that a dog will normally not dirty where they lay. If the crate is too big then they can pee in one corner and sleep in the other.
Make sure you clean everything that he has peed on with something like Nature's Miracle. You may not be able to smell his urine on the furniture but he can.
When you are gone, crate him and when you are home with him confine him to a small area like a kitchen. If you catch him peeing in the house, tell him no then pick him up and bring him outside. For awhile you may need to bring him outside often and when he does pee outside praise him and give him a really tasty treat. I have housetrained a lot of dogs and it takes time and patience. For most it won`t happen overnight. I have found that making a huge deal about them doing it in the right place works much better than correcting them when they forget and do it inside.

Good luck
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Was the dog crate you left him in large enough for him to pee in one corner and lie down in another spot? If that is the case the crate is too large for him. I know that sounds not nice but that's what he needs to learn. At one year of age, unless there is a health issue, he should be having no problem holding his urine for an hour.

My girl has been having seizures since she was one. She is now 14.8 years old. Her seizures are food and stress related. She is not on meds as the seizures are varying in strength and length of time between them. Thanks for inquiring. We deal with them when she has them by holding her gently but firmly. You can't do that with all pups as some tend to snap during a seizure. You have to learn your pup's signals and actions during a seizure.
I can not see why a vet would tell you to put the pup to sleep without doing further testing to see what is causing them. There are also meds that can be tried to even out the seizures. In some cases even stop them. If I were you I would be getting another opinion from a different vet. Unless you vet knows that the type of seizure your pup is having is something that will not get better, only worse, I just don't get it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Have you brought him to the vet to make sure there isn't a medical reason for his peeing everywhere? Is he neutered?
I would get a crate that isn't much bigger than he is. The reason being is that a dog will normally not dirty where they lay. If the crate is too big then they can pee in one corner and sleep in the other.
Make sure you clean everything that he has peed on with something like Nature's Miracle. You may not be able to smell his urine on the furniture but he can.
When you are gone, crate him and when you are home with him confine him to a small area like a kitchen. If you catch him peeing in the house, tell him no then pick him up and bring him outside. For awhile you may need to bring him outside often and when he does pee outside praise him and give him a really tasty treat. I have housetrained a lot of dogs and it takes time and patience. For most it won`t happen overnight. I have found that making a huge deal about them doing it in the right place works much better than correcting them when they forget and do it inside.

Good luck

The crate he was in was for a small dog...he looks alittle big for it even. I will try to keep my eye on him more and see if that helps any. Yes, he is fixed he got it done about 4 weeks ago. Thank you for your help I will try some of the tips you gave me hopefully that works. Again thank you
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Was the dog crate you left him in large enough for him to pee in one corner and lie down in another spot? If that is the case the crate is too large for him. I know that sounds not nice but that's what he needs to learn. At one year of age, unless there is a health issue, he should be having no problem holding his urine for an hour.

My girl has been having seizures since she was one. She is now 14.8 years old. Her seizures are food and stress related. She is not on meds as the seizures are varying in strength and length of time between them. Thanks for inquiring. We deal with them when she has them by holding her gently but firmly. You can't do that with all pups as some tend to snap during a seizure. You have to learn your pup's signals and actions during a seizure.
I can not see why a vet would tell you to put the pup to sleep without doing further testing to see what is causing them. There are also meds that can be tried to even out the seizures. In some cases even stop them. If I were you I would be getting another opinion from a different vet. Unless you vet knows that the type of seizure your pup is having is something that will not get better, only worse, I just don't get it.

I took him to the vet and he seems to be healthy. The crate I leave him in is small and he looks like he is a little big for it too so there is room to turn but not to walk around. As for the seizures...my puppy is so small that it looks like it hurts him but he is fine after it happens. Has your dog had an episode during the night? how can you tell?
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamylee View Post
I took him to the vet and he seems to be healthy. The crate I leave him in is small and he looks like he is a little big for it too so there is room to turn but not to walk around. As for the seizures...my puppy is so small that it looks like it hurts him but he is fine after it happens. Has your dog had an episode during the night? how can you tell?

Keesha has had numerous seizures during the night. I know because she sleeps with us. When she starts to have a seizure she knows it and tries to make her way to me. If I haven't already woken up I do when she falls against me. It is a horrible thing to go through. Breaks my heart. But she is ok afterwards. After this many years of dealing with the seizures I have become intuned to her. I think I unconsciously make myself be aware of what is going on with her. She is my little girl after all.
I usually give her ten or fifteen minutes to get her bearings after a seizure and then get her outside for a pee and BM. She also sometimes projectile vomits.

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Keesha has had numerous seizures during the night. I know because she sleeps with us. When she starts to have a seizure she knows it and tries to make her way to me. If I haven't already woken up I do when she falls against me. It is a horrible thing to go through. Breaks my heart. But she is ok afterwards. After this many years of dealing with the seizures I have become intuned to her. I think I unconsciously make myself be aware of what is going on with her. She is my little girl after all.
I usually give her ten or fifteen minutes to get her bearings after a seizure and then get her outside for a pee and BM. She also sometimes projectile vomits.
Thats the same with my puppy he just had 2 last night and 2 this morning...he is doing fine now but I am worried... the vet already gave him vitamins and said just to put him to rest but I dont want to do that because I know he could have a good life. I just dont want him to hurt. When he has an attack he just looks at me with no noise and then he get really weak, naps then gets up like nothing...I am scared.