Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:37 AM

Cat is lethargic, not himself and is walking funny! What is the problem??

My 8 month old Bengal Neko is for the most part very active, he runs around chasing my other Bengal and he is on a constant move.

He has fractured his left hind paw before (when he was about 4 months or so), and so a couple days ago when we noticed him not putting too much weight on his hind leg, we didn't make a big deal about it and chalked it up to possible weather pains, he was putting his paw on the floor and seemed to be bearing some wight on it although not much and his jumping to the floor from... say the bed was not as gracious as it generally is.

That night I noticed that when he goes from a walking to sitting position, he doesn't just sit down grasiously like he always has, he is going this tuck his legs underhis body with a hop/shift into a sitting position... weird!

This morning he seemed to be doing better and I was confident that he was getting better, but he has now gone back to lazy... and is just laying around, he is not limping on the left hind leg, but you can see he is straining a bit to walk. He jumps off the bed and lands on his face because even his front paws don;t seem to wanna hold his weight...

I have not taken him to the vet yet, because he is otherwise happy (he purrs for cuddles), he is alert, is eating/drinking.... and I am not sure the vet can do anything ay this point.

I am wondering if his muscles could be weak? Reacting to something in his diet or someting he may have eaten? Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas what this could be?

If he doesn't get better by Monday I may have to bring him in! Because I am at a loss here!

Any help is appreciated!!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, sorry I have no thoughts on why your kitty is "lame" but perhaps if you video his movements it would be easier for you Vet to see what you see. I sure hope that he is feeling better soon. Have you posted any pictures of these tow Bengals yet? I know that I hav enot seen them so please post some!!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittystylez View Post
My 8 month old Bengal Neko is for the most part very active, he runs around chasing my other Bengal and he is on a constant move.

He has fractured his left hind paw before (when he was about 4 months or so), and so a couple days ago when we noticed him not putting too much weight on his hind leg, we didn't make a big deal about it and chalked it up to possible weather pains, he was putting his paw on the floor and seemed to be bearing some wight on it although not much and his jumping to the floor from... say the bed was not as gracious as it generally is.

That night I noticed that when he goes from a walking to sitting position, he doesn't just sit down grasiously like he always has, he is going this tuck his legs underhis body with a hop/shift into a sitting position... weird!

This morning he seemed to be doing better and I was confident that he was getting better, but he has now gone back to lazy... and is just laying around, he is not limping on the left hind leg, but you can see he is straining a bit to walk. He jumps off the bed and lands on his face because even his front paws don;t seem to wanna hold his weight...

I have not taken him to the vet yet, because he is otherwise happy (he purrs for cuddles), he is alert, is eating/drinking.... and I am not sure the vet can do anything ay this point.

I am wondering if his muscles could be weak? Reacting to something in his diet or someting he may have eaten? Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas what this could be?

If he doesn't get better by Monday I may have to bring him in! Because I am at a loss here!

Any help is appreciated!!
The only help I can give you is to tell you to bring your poor cat to the vet.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:24 AM

Bengals are typically a slightly longer or slightly larger size than a domestic cat so I would be looking at the possibility of a dislocated hip or as he has fractured a bone before that might also be a cause.

Years ago a friend's young domestic cat dislocated her hip joint & it would "pop out" every once in a while if she was jumping alot etc, something to consider when you're at the vet is to ask them to test out the hip joints & possibly take some xrays of both the hips & the leg.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM

I think a trip to the vet maybe in order.

He is now bearing more weight on his back leg, but he must be in pain cause he is walking with his back slightly arched. Still having difficulty jumping off bed, toilet (which he uses instead of a litter box), chairs, and he has not in 3 days gone up to his cat house. He still tried to gallop (he doesn't run he litterally gallops and always has since kitten). I try and bring him relief by massaging his calf muscles and he outsreaches his legs for me and relaxes. So I am almost thinking it maybe sore muscles?

He is insured, so a vet visit really won't hurt the pocket book too much I hope and I get peace of mind (or I am hoping as this is not always the case! I still am convinced my other cat has asthma)! Since I have gotten these guys I have spent well over 2K on vet bills So I got them insured. I am however, thinking of bringing them in to a new vet.

Thoughts on hollistic vets?
Would there be some things I would bring my cats to a hollistic vet which may need a visit to a regular vet? Or are all the services the same, just treatment methods are a bit different?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittystylez View Post
Thoughts on hollistic vets?
Would there be some things I would bring my cats to a hollistic vet which may need a visit to a regular vet? Or are all the services the same, just treatment methods are a bit different?
I LOVE my holistic vet. I actually take my geriatric guy to 2 clinics: the conventional feline-only vet that he's been going to since he was a kitten; and in the last few years, a holistic vet for osteopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy and TCM. They both have their advantages, but what's great about the holistic vet is that they still have access to all the conventional diagnostic and treatment options. If you can find a holistic vet that does osteopathy and/or acupuncture, your boy kitty might really benefit from a few sessions. Good idea to get a thorough physical exam first though, maybe even x-rays.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM

Holistic or Homeopathic vets are a great way to go

You should check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover all compatible costs from non-conventional vets ie remedies, acupuncture, etc

Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks... I am checking in my area for someone suitable
I will check with the insurance company on the advised, but to be honest. It would not matter if they covered the cost or not.

I love these guys and I am commited to trying the very best care I can for them. Unrelated - (I have not had much luck with these guys) I am convinced my female has asthma or some type of respitory problem and has since I first got her. Vet says no... and my first thought when I saw her bareing down and coughing and panting after play, was to call the breader and complain... but - then what? Give her back???? That is not an option!!!

So... I keep a close eye on her for any changes. We take things one day at a time here! My husband keeps telling the kittens they came to the right house
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:47 AM

Regarding the insurance - I say every little bit helps if they will cover the costs

If your girl is still coughing/panting etc after play, you might want to mention it to the breeder anyways, see if any of the other litter mates have the same issue. If there are other kittens with those symptoms it's possible there's an abnormality with one of the parents which the breeder should look into & not continue that line.

Old March 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM

Update!!!!

Not sure what to do... I took Neko to the vet because of his limping and looking like he was in some sort of pain (because his back has been slightly arched when he walks)

The Vet said he had a small fever (103) and felt around and thought he may have a pain in his leg... so he gave him a shot of antibiotics and sent him home, Neko has still been under the weather but seemed to be slightly improving by his mood. He is eating... well, but not as well as he had been. I actually felt he was improving up until yesterday...

He was previously eating raw chicken and rabbit. Then he decided not to touch the raw very much, so I got him fresh pet select. SO he has been eating that, up until yesterday I gave him rabbit (I have followed Dr. Pierson's recipe to the T!) - by night time he was limping again! I wonder if there is something in the food... maybe a vitamin that is causing him to be sick? I rather not play around with his food too much and right now I am thinking of tossing all the raw and keeping him on fresh pet select!

I just do not know what else it could be! We will be going to the vet again tomorrow if they can fit him in and hopefully they can run some blood work to identify if there is something causing this!