Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 21st, 2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Survey: Are you a mall parking lot stalker?

SYRACUSE, New York (AP) -- John Hrynyk emerged from his car at the Carousel Center mall after nabbing a parking space 100 feet from an entrance.

The 55-year-old scrap yard owner admits he's the type to slowly prowl the mall parking lot until he finds a spot close to the building. "I always look for the closest spot to the door, and 90 percent of the time I find one," he said.

A classic "search and destroyer."

Connecticut-based Response Insurance surveyed its drivers and identified what it says are the four main species of mall parkers: "search and destroyers," "lay and wait," "stalkers" and "see it and take it."

But in the asphalt jungle, it turns out, it's the least aggressive who are getting the last laugh.

Search and destroyers roam the aisles, cruising endlessly for the perfect spot. Lay and wait parkers position themselves at the end of an aisle and wait for a space to open up in what they start to believe is their territory. Stalkers, the most predatory, slowly follow shoppers leaving the store back to their parking spot.

The three methods risk situations that can lead to stress or conflict. In Hrynyk's case, he was lucky he didn't run into another search and destroyer waiting for the same spot, said Ray Palermo, a spokesman for Response Insurance.

"It's not like road-rage, but it can cause a lot of stress, nevertheless," he said.

The favored method is to see it and take it, where shoppers don't care how far they have to walk. The company said it's less stressful and helps drivers save the most time.

AAA's tips
Even the AAA likes this option. On its list of tips for surviving holiday driving, the automobile association advises people to "play the outfield. Outlying areas have more spaces, lighter traffic and a lower risk of collision."

The advice comes at a time when parking lots may be crammed with last-minute shoppers. The National Retail Federation estimated that up to 20 percent of holiday sales would occur the week before Christmas.

QUICKVOTE
What type of parking lot personality are you?

'Search and destroyer'
'Lay and wait'
'Stalker'
'See it and take it'
VIEW RESULTS

Jena Hamilton, 24, gets irritated by the lay and waiters and the stalkers.

"You're trying to put your bags in the car," Hamilton said. "You want to get your car warmed up, everything adjusted. Then you see this car in the rearview mirror with its blinker on, and a line of cars waiting behind them. It can be nerve-racking, as if holiday shopping weren't stressful enough."

Greg Adessa, 18, a culinary school student, said he parks as far away as he can.

"I have a new car but even when I had my old beat-up Caddy, I park away from people so I don't have to deal with this," said Adessa, pointing to the chaos around him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Story Tools

Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time!

More arrested in arson fires

• $24m cocaine stash in plane wreck
• FDA warns naproxen users
• 96-year-old Florida mayor running for re-election
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Didnt we just talk about things that p*** us off,well there is mine,people that are to lazy to walk.............UHHHH I hate when people do that,.......
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:00 AM

I have been them all LOL!!!I have followed when there is virtually no parking left.I have waited for parking really close because I know what i'm carrying back to the car is going to be huge.I have done the driving by..."oh look a spot" wooohooo ! For the most part I look for the least crowded route to the sidewalk for my kiddos.Sometimes that's really far awayfrom the mall ,off to the side.
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I look for a spot on the end and park as close to the outside line as I can. That way there's no one on one side and less chance for someone to bang their car door into my car on the other. Walking is good for me. If my mom's with me, I drop her off at the entrance of the mall before parking. I pick her up again at the entrance when we leave. In the summer, I look to see where the shade is going to be when I'm finished shopping. Usually the trees are at the perimeters of the lot or at the end of the row.
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll just add one more thing - when I see a lay-in-waiter or a stalker, and I'm in the coveted space, I sometimes take my sweet time putting packages away, adjusting my seat belt, etc. and out-wait them. Then again, if I see an elderly driver looking for a spot, I'll sometimes motion to them that I'm leaving and have a good spot. Those end spots are also at the front too you know!
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:23 AM
~Cat Servent~

You'd have to add.... a 'lucky s o b' category for Chase and I. We did the unthinkable two weekends ago, we ventured to the Outlet Mall in Niagara Falls, NY on a SATURDAY afternoon!!!! We were gonna park further back, but got caught in the never ending line of cars circling for spots. I just wanted to get away from the line of cars so I pulled down an aisle....where low and behold someone with a primo spot was just leaving! And there were no "stalkers" in the wings!!! So I grabbed it and we went in got our stuff done and were out and gone in less than an hour!!!!
Normally we are the park as far away as possible kinda people....my car has enough nicks and dents! And my arse can use the hoofin!!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

If I'm in my truck, I tend to park away from everyone. I've been like that with all my vehicles, I tend to be protective (I don't double park, though. I think that's rude). My wife still gives me a hard time, suggesting we call a cab to get from the truck to the store. The way I look at it is, now I don't worry about someone smacking it with a door, or dragging a cart down the side of it full of thier groceries or something. And I take any opportunity to burn a few extra calories. AND, I find that I usually walk past the person looking for a closer spot who started before I pulled in the parking lot. Less stress all around!

When I drive the car...well, it's already dimpled like a golf ball on one side (more speed? Works for golf balls) and scratched on the other, so I just grab any old spot and be happy with it.
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

It's weird you should mention the"call a taxi"thing,that's exactly what my BH says He is sooooo lazy,I prefer if he stays home He's a parking-lot fiend!! I do not care,as long as I find a nice safe spot,preferably between two Ferraris
I am really careful not to hit another car with my door,I wish everyone felt that way...after all a car today is a BIG investment
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually Chico, you can't consider a car an investment. All it does is depreciate! Same with mobile homes. :sad: :sad:
Old December 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

No,I did not mean it's a big investment with a return,but it does take a large chunk out of your bank-account when you buy it,so you better take care of it,I am a bit of a car-nut and I want my car to look like new forever....
Old December 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
No,I did not mean it's a big investment with a return,but it does take a large chunk out of your bank-account when you buy it,so you better take care of it,I am a bit of a car-nut and I want my car to look like new forever....
I agree with you there. My record is 18 months for the new car smell. Unfortunatly, that was BD (before Daisy). I don't think that feat will ever be repeated.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

big time stalker here, you dont get a park unless you do.

firstly i was recently told a car is a negative investment, so it is an investment. oh glassy you shock me at times slowing ppl up (perhaps its jsut being away) where i do most shopping there is not enough car parks, the other day it was 44 degrees celcius in the sun and more in my car. there is not a park for ages and i had to stalk, i mean stalk hard, you ahve to find someone coming out and then stick to them like glue, even if it is 20mins you dont loose them, i spent 35 mins in my stinking hot car (no aircon) trying to find a park and every mongrel out there is hot as hell and cranky, if someone took time and delioberatly were slow to get at me i would probably get out and pack the car for them i was even threatened with a punch in the head by one woman who was crazy, remember no one ownes the parks, we share them.

oh and a guaranteed way of getting a park, the nuns prayer. an old nun taught it to me years ago and no word of a lie it does work sometimes, it goes
'hail mary full of grace, help me find a parking place' and the nuns swear it works every time (may jsaut take a while in the heat).
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM

Hmmmm...At - 22 I can't relate to this heat thing you speak of!

<-------blue smiley for BrrrrRRRRrrrrr!!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:14 AM
banned user

Allright... I admit it. I am a parking lot stalker. I will circle for a 1/2 hour... until I find a parking that is ~thisclose~ to the door. Or.. I'll leave my hazards on and leave the car in front of the door. (Sigh).... you caught me
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM

Bugsy you need to bring me with you shopping so I can circle around~and around~and around~with your car untill you get everything you need!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

You will all gasp but I am like Schwinn. Even though I qualify for a "handicapped" parking space because of my back problems - and I do get in extreme pain occasionally from walking while shopping - I do not want my vehicle scratched. (It was once and it cost a "mere" $2000 to fix a very tiny mark). So I park as far as I can from the maddening crowd so to speak, lol

Now my friends and family are teasing me about how - after I went to all that trouble for the years I had the vehicle - it was done in by Bullwinkle in what seemed like two seconds. <g>
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
banned user

LOL... I may have forgotten to mention something minor. Ahem.. the parking tickets
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:29 AM

Step away from the comp and wash your mouth out with soap ! Foul language is not allowed!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:33 AM
banned user

The worst of the worst > Christmas time... traffic jam in the parking lot. Solution~ Cab it.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
Allright... I admit it. I am a parking lot stalker. I will circle for a 1/2 hour... until I find a parking that is ~thisclose~ to the door. Or.. I'll leave my hazards on and leave the car in front of the door. (Sigh).... you caught me

Spots in front of the doors to the malls are fire routes. You'd best not hope I'm driving the big honkin firetruck that day, I tend to "nudge" those cars out of our way....
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

OK,I have to know for the ones that will wait forever for a closer parking spot,WHY?????Isnt it just easier to park and walk????And at least you get a little exercise..I just cannot drive and drive for a spot that is closer i would rather just walk
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

When I'm with my mom, I tell her to wait inside the mall where she can relax on a convenient seat in comfort. When I'm outside the entrance in my car, I just call her on her cell and she comes right out.
Actually, Mel, the ones I hold up are the selfish ones who wait in the middle of the lane so that nobody can go past them. It would be ok if they were just waiting for me, but allowing other cars to get past. But no, they'll block everybody so they can nab any other space that opens up while waiting for me.
A little off-topic, but not really - parallel parking at the curb. I drive a Toyota MR2. I just love it when there's a space that other vehicles can't get into and it's perfect for me!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd rather shop online. I don't do well with crowds.

I remember having to go into a store for less than five minutes in Toronto, we'd put on the four ways and put the hood up on the side of the road, because it was like $5 minimum to park anywhere.

Good times...
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn your not one of those that takes up two spots are u????UH That makes me mad to..
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
Spots in front of the doors to the malls are fire routes. You'd best not hope I'm driving the big honkin firetruck that day, I tend to "nudge" those cars out of our way....
Aww... all women love firemen anyway As long as you bring a few friends.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
OK,I have to know for the ones that will wait forever for a closer parking spot,WHY?????Isnt it just easier to park and walk????And at least you get a little exercise..I just cannot drive and drive for a spot that is closer i would rather just walk
Heidi... you live in Arizona, I live in Montreal. That's a difference of 60 degrees ...' nuf said.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Heidi... you live in Arizona, I live in Montreal. That's a difference of 60 degrees ...' nuf said.
In the winter, yes, but shoes on the other foot in the summer!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:05 PM
banned user

It's aahhh ~ To Hot ( yeah that's it...to hot)! Ok Ok , ..... I'm just lazy & maybe a little spoiled
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Aww... all women love firemen anyway As long as you bring a few friends.
Why is it that women love fireFIGHTERS?

I also get a lot of, "ooh, how do you work with all those HOT firemen?". Well, ya know, it's difficult, but once you've spent the night in the same dorm with all the fartin and belchin, it loses its' charm REAL fast.....
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Why is it though that a lot, I won't say all, but ALOT of firemen are goodlooking guys?? Is it, like, a prerequisite??