Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM

i like the product Hartz (u can get it at walmart, and i'm sure you can get it at a pet store) when i first got my puppy, she was covered in fleas. just one good scrubbing did the trick (but i have a much smaller dog). i used Hartz 3 in 1 Foaming Shampoo to be exact. it kills fleas and ticks, flea eggs and larvae, and it prevents flea eggs from hatching for over 1 month. Now, thats just for the dog. For my carpet, just to be on the safe side, i used Hartz 2 in 1 carpet powder, i think they also had a spray for the furniture. i thought this stuff worked great. now my puppy (and home) are flea free
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:06 AM

Hartz is being removed from the shelves because it was too toxic. Please don't use hartz.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM

Read this: http://www.petitiononline.com/hartz/petition.html
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM
Animal Lover

I wasn't aware that there were so many problems with Hartz! Interesting...

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM

wow, i didn't realize that. i looked at the site. it was referring to the Hartz products containing Phenothrin (thats in the topical flea and tick drops). i personally have never used those, and after what i read i probably never will. but the shampoos and carpet powder do not contain any Phenothrin. and i used the shampoo on a very small dog and it didnt bother her. infact when i took her to the vet for the 1st time i told him what i bathed her with and he didnt say anything
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM

I just wouldn't trust anything from Hartz for now...

Here's another site:
http://www.cathelp-online.com/health/justsayno.php

If you scroll down to the "Hartz Mountain Corp Products - At A Glance
Recommendations to Avoid:" section, the shampoo is there and is described as:
Quote:
containing pyrethroids as well as organophosphate pesticides, known as neurotoxins with the potential to cause acute toxicity (through inhalation, oral, or dermal exposures)
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Queen

When I was a kid I used to pick fleas out of my cat with my fingers and pop them dead with my fingernail. It's really gross because they explode and you get blood all over your hands.Love that crunching sound though when kitty gets to a crane fly. I can't even kill a mosquito these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
They also gave him garlic capsules. Did not harm to the dog and fixed it right up.
He may have just been lucky. I would also be cautious about garlic and onions:http://www.wisegeek.com/which-foods-...s-and-dogs.htm
Quote:
Onions, and Powders: Whether fresh, cooked or powdered, garlic and/or onions can be found among the ingredients of many prepared meals, including baby food. Garlic and onions are toxic to cats and dogs because sulfoxides and disulfides found in them can damage red blood cells and lead to anemia. Onions are more problematic than garlic, but both should be avoided. If preparing a meal for yourself that will contain garlic or onions, consider preparing a side portion without these ingredients for your animals.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:43 AM

ok, i am very interested in learning more about how this product may affect dogs. but all the site talks about is cats (i don't own a cat). please give me a site that says how it is hazardous to dogs. don't take this the wrong way, i'm just not personally interested in reading how a product affects a cat when i own a dog. but i do find this serious since i use this product.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Queen

Here are some stories, cats and dogs:http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....ws&new_topic=4
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM

thanks maya, i'll be sure to ask Flower's vet why he didn't say anything when i mentioned Hartz shampoo!
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM

Maybe you'd want to read some horror stories? Horror stories IMO, that should be enough to not support this company financially, but I'll go search for studies on dogs for you. I'm sure there are PLENTY as the pesticide that caused the massive chemical burns, seizures, and deaths in dogs AND cats from the flea drops is in the same family of pesticides as in the shampoo.

Sorry, I forgot to post it while I searched.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM
Queen

Surprised they didn't try to sell you one from the clinic. You could probably find more horror stories. Always a good idea to research any ingredients/products before using. It's possible your vet just assumes products on the market are safe, they should be or at least "safer".

Well there you go Prin gave you some horror stories before I could submit this.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM

lol they're the same as yours.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:26 AM
Queen

I know I realized that after I hit submit. Wow I'm a geek I should just go to sleep.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:27 AM

lol It's ok. They're "good" horror stories. I just wish they had a search engine on their site.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I have used Advantage on my 3 cats(in summer)for as long as I can remember,yes,it's expensive,but it WORKS!
Add up all the other stuff mentioned here and it probably costs as much.
My son,totally oblivious to my advice,bought some look-alike tubes at Pet-Smart for Kita,his JRT,resulting in a rash all over her body,which will cost much more than Advantage would have cost.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM

Yeah, and some of the pics from that site- omg... The drops caused the skin to burn and swell where they were administered. Just disgusting. :sad: