Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

My first Foster

Hey everyone!

As many of you know, I have been looking to get Boxer for a while. Well, yesterday I met my first foster - Buster. His story is sooo sad. He was found as a stray and brought in to the SPCA. He was adopted by a young girl. A few weeks after adopting him, she found out she had to move to TO, so she contacted Boxer Rescue. They found him a home with a family. These guys have had him since december. Unfortunetly, Buster bit their 2 year old daughter -- in his defense, the daughter was crawling all over him .
So they decided to give up on him. This poor guy has been abandoned at least 3 times in his short life ( I think he's a little over a year old...). It breaks my heart...

Crystal from Boxer Rescue called me last night to see if I would be willing to foster. I, of course, jumped at the opportunety!! We're going to wait a week or two to get a feel for his temperment, and if we're a good match -- we're going to adopt him!! I'm so excited I could burst!! The only reason we're not adopting him right of the bat, is I'm a little weary of the child-biting thing. I have no kids, but do want some eventually... Althought, I do believe that the 2 year old was in the wrong in this case...What do you think, O' great pet board?!!

He's a little bit freaked out and scared right now, so we're trying to make him feel comfortable without overwhelming him. He seems to be panting alot and he whimpers when we leave the room. He's very affectionate and sweet...

Anyhoo, I just wanted to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart -- before I discovered this board I thought a rescue dog was a pooch who rescued people and that the only way to get a homeless dog was through the SPCA. I honestly would have never thought of getting or fostering a rescue before coming on this board...So Buster and I thank all of you. And to all the Foster parents out there -- I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions within the next few days!!!
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

he's sooo cute

look at that face!!!!
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh my...

Meb he's adorable. Don't worry about his anxiety right now. The second BMD I picked up was a whirling dervish of nerves. She has now figured out that she can relax and nap with the other dogs. She is still very velcro but has made leaps and bounds in only a few days.

Bless you for taking him in. He's got such a lovable mushy face. Enjoy fostering. It's lots of fun!
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

What kind of bite are we talking about? A little warning nip that didn't break skin, or something that needed stitches?
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
What kind of bite are we talking about? A little warning nip that didn't break skin, or something that needed stitches?
He just slightly broke the skin -- no stitches or anything....

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

Aw, Meb! Wow! What a darling baby! Best of luck with him...

- Woodrow Wilson
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Meb,
That is wonderful that you are fostering Buster and helping him. Hat's off to you and Buster!!!
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Owned by goldens

Foster

First and foremost it is the adults responsibility to protect the child. A two year old cannot be held responsible for a dog bite. If you are seriously thinking of having a child one day think about what you will do when your baby starts to crawl and you have a dog that "may" bite. It may be better to let this guy be adopted by a family with older children or better still no children at all. This dog may be having difficulty with all the changes and may be very nervous thus the reason for the bite however I would not chance it.
My children grew up with dogs, goldens and one standard poodle. For a time I also babysat children. My kids on occasion used my dogs to help them to stand. The dogs would just stand there and wait patiently. Never did they ever show signs of aggression. This is the kind of temperment you want around children. It is easy to say that kids and dogs should be watched at all times and they should be, but it is not realistic. There will be times when you are doing something else and your baby may crawl on your dog. Do you want to worry everytime that he/she may be bitten?
Not so long ago there was a story of a little boy who was attacked and killed by a rottie. The other children in the family were put into foster care because the parents knowingly allowed an aggressive dog/dogs to live in the same home as children.
I love dogs but I am also an advocate for children and their safety. JMHO
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Just so everyone knows, this is all being taken great care of by very experienced canine behaviourists. We are not dealing with an aggressive dog here. You can all rest easy knowing that the situation is being dealt with responsibly by professionals.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

what a beautiful dog!

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus