Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Good TV reception ... I love that. ROFL. Maybe if I sat her on my roof I might get satellite reception for my computer?
Silk is going well, apart from wanting to lick the suture line and get it inflamed. If I remove them on the weekend I think she will be a completely happy dog again.

I was surprised by the size of the stones, Robyn, and now I wonder how big are the stones that people get?
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I was surprised by the size of the stones, Robyn, and now I wonder how big are the stones that people get?
I don't think I've ever seen any that size GF!!! I thoughts Thorins was huge, but it was maybe a quarter size of the large stone there. Though his was very jagged... it almost looked like a stalagmite, except round'ish

I wonder about the stones people get as well, GF. I know Kidney stones aren't near that big, but I don't think I've ever known anyone who was prone to Bladder stones

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe Thorin's stones were the same type as Toby's, his were very jagged too. Do you notice a big difference in Thorin since they were removed? Toby was great after his op..
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, so glad to hear that Silk is feeling well. I was also shocked at the size of those stones. That had to be uncomfortable!
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Maybe Thorin's stones were the same type as Toby's, his were very jagged too. Do you notice a big difference in Thorin since they were removed? Toby was great after his op..

We're wondering if the surgery didn't spark his immune reaction and cause the tumor. We know his food was partially to blame, but Dr. Marsden said his type of cancer is brought on by an "immune system event". So could have been the stress of the surgery, or the really bad bout of colitis that threw him into the early stages of pancreatitis. Both were within a couple of months of each other. Who knows
After the surgery he was able to pee a full stream again with no blood, but other than that he hasn't done so well. He lost a TON of weight. He has since gained it back, though (after starting the chemo. He's almost a little chunky now lol).

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

You really don't appreciate watching a dog pee well until you've had one with stones, LOL . Toby didn't have noticeable blood in his urine but was in diabolical trouble, only able to drip it past the blockage. Thorin is just so lucky he has an angel for his mother, there are just so many people that wouldn't have cared for Nookie and Thorin the way you have, indeed our vet tech. here said many do nothing until it is too late to save their dogs.
You'll never know what triggered that immune system event, same as Matt when his sheltie got Evans syndrome.It isn't important though, all you can do is work on helping/healing them.