Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old December 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM

Rimadyl and a Previcox not helping my 11 year old WeImaraner

Hello all

About a month ago Max was admitted to the vets hospital for an abscess under his back muscle. He was there for a week. He had previously been losing muscle tone before this and this as well as his enforced rest made him lose even more muscle mass.

The vet sent him home with Rimadyl 100mg and instructed that he be given a dose of between 1 and a quarter to one and a half tablets. This helped for a while and suddenly he began getting spastic and stiff in his back legs and knuckling over especially when he tried to urinate and have a bowel movement.

A few days later Max got worse. I took him to a different vet who said Max was running a low grade fever and that it was probably because the infection from the last time had been lying dormant. Max stayed at the vets for two nights. He was sent home with previcox 227 mg as well as tramahexin (tramadol) for pain and amoxyllin 500mg for the low grade fever

Its been three days...and Max walks okay once in a while but spend most of his day sleeping. He wakes up on his own sometimes , sometimes he needs help. He falls everytime he "goes to the bathroom" He is eating and drinking normally

I love my baby boy and it hurts to think that it is time to let go. I just want him to have quality of life but i will do the needful if i cant help him anymore

Please please let me know if there is anything more I can do. His eyes dont say its time and his spirit is still strong.

Thank you and God bless
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, MaxnJens mum. So sorry you and Max are going through this!

If it's a deep-rooted infection it may take a while longer for the antibiotic to work--perhaps it just needs a little more time?

Did they run blood work to make sure he wasn't reacting to the Rimadyl and the Previcox? Both these drugs can be hard on the body.

My heart goes out to you--I know how difficult it is to see Max suffer without knowing what's wrong or how to fix it! I hope you find some answers soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Unhappy

Hi

I took Max to the vets today and we decided together to take my Maxi boy to the rainbow bridge. I had taken him to see if there was more we could do if we could change his meds, anything. He looked at my Baby boy and said his muscle tone had got worse, that Max was already taking the strongest pain meds and that we would could sedate him for the pain but it would mean keeping him at the vets. Max never liked being away from home he had the typical Weimaraner separation anxiety. And so although Max's mind and personality where as alive as ever, the vet said he was in a lot of pain and it was time. I held him as he crossed over, I just wish i had more time. I feel like I have failed him and I hope he forgives me. I alternate between bouts of sobbing and numbness. The fact that Max is free of pain is a comfort but i wish oh how i wish I could hold him one more time
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Never doubt that Max loves you and never think you've failed him!! You were there for him at the end when he needed your love the most. He crossed over feeling your loving touch. There is no greater gift you could have given him.

So be kind to yourself and be at peace on that score. Time to grieve now, but happy memories will eventually begin to ease that ache in your heart. He isn't really gone as long as you hold his memories close.

Max

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Thank you so much for these kind words
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

MaxnJens mum, this thread is so sad. I am sending and s to help ease some of your heartache. Max.
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxnJens mum View Post
Hi

I took Max to the vets today and we decided together to take my Maxi boy to the rainbow bridge. I had taken him to see if there was more we could do if we could change his meds, anything. He looked at my Baby boy and said his muscle tone had got worse, that Max was already taking the strongest pain meds and that we would could sedate him for the pain but it would mean keeping him at the vets. Max never liked being away from home he had the typical Weimaraner separation anxiety. And so although Max's mind and personality where as alive as ever, the vet said he was in a lot of pain and it was time. I held him as he crossed over, I just wish i had more time. I feel like I have failed him and I hope he forgives me. I alternate between bouts of sobbing and numbness. The fact that Max is free of pain is a comfort but i wish oh how i wish I could hold him one more time
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved Maxi. Maxi
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Unhappy

God bless you all for your kindness and support. Max and me send you blessings and thanks
Old December 18th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Max..

R.I.P Max
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Hi- my name is Lydia and I am new to this site because im on dogster as well. I like whaqt u wrote for max;s mum about how eqch of us is going thru a life crisis. this is true,my cousin just lost her husband of 42 yrs to cancer. she loved him and so did he love her. now she goes come to an empty house. its no different than losing a dog/cat. I was a animal rescuer and I rescued a lot of animals-dogs and cats, coco was my last rescue Its never easy to LET GO. I wish GOD do it for me, its too traumatic to go to the vet and give him a needle. I also do not want to see him suffer. What a delemia, If u want to email me u can get me here Im under sweetheart1. Im in nyc,ny. bye.
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM

to max;s mum. my deepest condolence to u. its almost 1 year anniversary 12/17/13. I hope your heart has healed, mine heart will be crushed very soon too. he will go to rainbow bridge and we will be consoled that they will play together. he loved the tennis ball. my coco is a lasha apso. he is 15/16. we hurt as humans when we lose someone or a dog/cat because we bond with our pets. im here as sweetheart1. I live in nyc,ny. bye.
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Sweetheart1, its so hard to be in the position your in now. My dog is 14 and in good shape, but I know that won't last much longer. Its so hard to say goodbye, but its good that you'll have lots of memories to hold on to. Take Care.
Old December 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

sweetheart1, just remember to always choose with your heart and head. Our hearts alone are sometimes not strong enough to make the wise choice for our pets. It's never easy, but if it's in your mind it's probably right. Be strong and you know you've got people here who understand.