Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM

worried about thing on/near my dog's lip

It's kind of bulbous, red and angry looking, maybe the size of a large grape and I'm not quite sure if it's his lip or just outside of his lip, like in the crease between lip and chin. It's toward the front of his mouth. He seems to be bahaving normally -- eating like normal, excited about walks and his normal energy level, doesn't get uptight if I look at it. I've touched near it so I could get a better look, but I haven't actually poked at it to see if he gets upset.

I do have a vet appointment to look at it tomorrow afternoon, but I'm worried, and haven't been able to find any info on the web. We noticed it about three hours ago.

eta: In case it matters, he's about ten years old and a mutt. He looks just like a norwegian elkhound, but a little more barrel-shaped.

Jayne, mama to two lovely humans and two lovely dogs
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm a softy

is it a tick?
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hard to tell what it is without seeing it. There are a lot of possibilities...most of them benign in nature, but alarming when you see them.

for the vet visit tomorrow! Hope it turns out to be nothing too serious! Please keep us posted...and a picture or two of your furbabies would be lovely.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM

I'm happy to hear there are some not so bad possibilities. It is definately not a tick. I've seen those more than I'd like to remember and this isn't one. And it doesn't look to me like it could be a bug bite. My guess is it's probably ok. My gut says it came on a little too fast to be my worst fear, and he has plenty of energy and all that. I've been out of the house for 3 or 4 hours now and when I got home dh was out with the pups for a walk, so I'll have to check when they get back. I hope it's gone down some...

I think I was a little taken aback when I saw it because I thought they'd already thrown at me all the surprises they had up their sleeves. Since they are both ten-ish I thought I had seen it all. lol I don't know why I'd feel that way though. About a year ago, I thought he was in big trouble when I woke up in the morning to see that he seemed to not even be able to lift his back end off the floor. It scared me to death, carried him to the car, rushed him to the vet and it turned out it was from the four macademia nuts he ate the night before. D'oh!
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They do tend to worry us mere humans, eh?

It could be anything from a bug bite to a papilloma to a histiocytoma... Our dogs have gotten lots of weird lumps and bumps over the years--most of them turn out to be fairly unworrisome. The weirdest thing I've seen were the extra nails growing on Brier's face! Now that was freaky

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Still don't know what it is, waiting for call from the vet. She said there were two kinds of cancer it could be, neither w very good prognosis, but that it didn't feel like it was cancer to her. And when she put the needle in to biopsy, it didn't act like a malignant tumor. So up until today I have managed not to worry too much. But I think I will get the results either today or tomorrow so I'm thinking about it more.

He's on antibiotics to see if that will take care of it, but I'm having a hell of a time getting him to swallow them. He is sooo stubborn. lol If anyone has any advice I need it. I've been wrapping it in cheese and then holding his mouth shut until he swallows, but sometimes he fakes me out and hasn't swallowed even though he seems to have. Sigh....