Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:03 AM

Barking beagle.. :(

Hey guys, need some help here...
How can i get my beagle to stop barking when we leave for work? He has his own room in the house, lotsa treats! (soup bones ect) and yet he still barks and houlds when we leave.

Should i get another dog as a companion for him? he is 1 year old now.

If I need to get another dog, what would be the best choice as a companion for a beagle? (keeping in mind I need to keep him quiet... )

I don't want to have to get rid of him.

cheers!
Eric
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Talking

Hey Beagles are GREAT dogs you'll be happy you kept this little one!!

Can you clarify he has his own room thing?

The dog is suffering separation anxiety.

First you do this okay, to help puppy out.

On a day you are not working, give puppy a treat and a hug and say goodbye......go out (out of sight, smell etc..) but return in 15 minutes (say just go to the corner store).

When you get back praise your dog and give it lots of love and attention, maybe go for a walk.

Next day do the same thing but for 1/2 hour this time....extend the time each time you go out and ALWAYS reward your dog when you come home and give lots of love and treats and a walk as well.

This will help with the separation issue but having another dog will also keep company during the day. If your dog is active and playful I suggest one of the same, so they keep up with eacother and one isn't 'out doing' the other!

Best of luck

Luba
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:26 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of advice and ways to keep him from barking. I also own a beagle who barks when we leave the house. We recently brought a mini-dachshund puppy home in hopes that it would cure his separation anxiety and it has! He no longer barks when we leave the house. I would not recommend having 2 dogs to everyone though. It's a lot of responsibility with 2 of them. Especially different breeds and different ages (Bueller is 2, Lunchbox is still a puppy at 9 months). I don't have any suggestions for breeds either. Beagle are extremely social dogs and love everyone they meet. If you're considering another dog, try your local Humane Society first. It's a great feeling to rescue a dog who otherwise may be euthanized because no one wanted him. And for added benefit, it would be easier for an older dog to adapt rather than having to train a puppy all over again. You can bring your beagle into the Humane Society to help choose a companion. Hope that helps you somewhat. Good luck.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM

thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

I will try all the training suggestions. An i will call the humain society to findout what they have "in stok" I would like another small dog, prefferably the size of my beagle. One with as much energy. I was told not to get another beagle as they would start a houling orchestra...
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

www.torontohumanesociety.com

if you are in this area

At the bottom of that page of adoption - dogs
you will see an expanded search...not finding the pet you are looking for...select that and it will take you to many sites

Also look at www.petfinder.ca

What about the his own room thing?

Luba
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:02 PM

I am in the Ottawa area.

Yeah, Toby is not a big fan of the crate. He has sever tantrums when in there. So we finished off an area of the basement. about the size of a large bedroom. It has vinyl flooring, his bed, blankets and a mountan of toys.

I guess he just needs a roomate. :P he is only "locked in" when we are gone. the door is wide open when we are home.

I can't let him lose because he has "tasted" 3 sofas so far..

cheers!
Eric
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Beagles and other hounds are barkers - it's their nature. This is why researching before getting a dog is so important.

Do not get another dog just to be company to this one - get another dog only if you want one and can be committed to the amount of time and expense two dogs take.

Also, a companion MAY stop the barking, but you also may end up with TWO dogs barking instead of one.
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Chocolate

When I moved out into a bsmt apt, my dog always barked.

not only when I was leaving but also when he felt he should alert me of the various noises outside... oh, and there were many...

One of the best things that I have ever done for him was purchase a muzzle, the ones that reduce barking. Chocolate quickly understood what behaviour i did NOT want him to exhibit.

just like the crate is the place to go to calm down and have a little exclusive spot... the muzzle was the object to reduce his LOUD talking.

of course he can still communicate with me, but when he does go on his high barking streaks, he's got more than one options of settling down.

Old December 7th, 2003, 11:27 PM

My friends next door to me have a Bischon (don't know if I spelled it right). His name is Bailey. When my friends are at work or go out he barks, yelps you name it he does it. They started to leave the tv on for him (the animal planet channel to be exact).

It works (unless they are out for a long time ie. when they go somewhere) I think Bailey knows when they are at work (cuz he doesn't get upset) but when they go out and if they aren't back by a certain time he starts to carry on( i guess he knows when it's bedtime).

Maybe if you tried a radio or tv. Maybe that will work. If you do try this let me know if it works.

Good Luck. I hope I was able to help you out.
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Chocolate

YES!!!!!!!!!

good one, daisy!!

the radio works too! and don't make it too quiet either, it's a good distraction for them from the outside noises.

Old December 7th, 2003, 11:51 PM

Thank You wAggie.

I just hope it works for them.