Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 25th, 2004, 12:14 AM

2 male kittens! help!

i just introduced a 3month old (neutered) kitten to my almost 6 month old (unneutered) kitten, and my 6month old is adorable! has never hissed at another cat, even this new male kitten. When my 6 month old saw the new cat he sniffed him, and even licked him, the younger kitten at first was just taking everything in, a lil scared.. a little later, my 6 month old went to smell the smaller kitten again, but this time the new kitten hissed and tried to hit my older kitten! ... my older kitten didn't hiss back just tried to hit him back, as a defense, i'm so worried they won't get along!! my new kitten is scared, being in a new environment, and i'm taking my older cat to get neutered 2morrow, should this improve this situation? i'm just going to be patient , they will end up getting along right?

they told me at the shelter they should be fine being so young and after they are both neutered, they should be ok with each other ... then they said if not i can take him back and get a female kitten! (which i really don't want to do!) ... i'm worried about my lil boys...
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:10 AM
banned user

I would give them time to get used to each other... being so young yes it is easier but that doesn't mean they'll like each other right off the bat.
I have 4 cats (2 boys, 2 girls) and they still aren't always happy campers, they tolerate each other but it's not always hugs and kisses!
It may help having them both neutered, but I would at least separate them until he's totally healed and that will also give them time to get used to each others scents in the house. Good luck to ya!
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Jan3toc,don't worry,the new kittens reaction is quiet normal,it takes time..
They might never love each other,but I am sure they will accept each other.I have 3 neutered males,one of them(Chico) will never LOVE my newcomer(Vinnie)and he hisses at him,but he has accepted the fact Vinnie is here to stay.
Changing kittens to a female I don't believe will make any difference,females are often more temperamental,your two males will be fine,just give them time and space..
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

Totally normal!

I wouldn't worry. I brought a new kitten in to my home of 2 adult cats, and they hated him at first, but it's been 2 weeks now and they run and play and frolick and it's great
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:18 PM

thanks u guys!!

see what worries me.. is that he's a "special needs" cat.. he is more scared then a normal cat would be at a new house, i brought him home yesterday and he has not gone to the bathroom or eaten since then.. and i think it's because he is so scared, i'm worrried because i'm not sure i will be able to give him all the extra attention he needs, and they told me about him being like this right before i picked him up to take home, they never mentioned that before...
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like this kitten may have been born outside. But don't worry - since he's only 12 weeks old it will be o.k.

You need to put him in a small room for now, even a bathroom, with all his stuff (litterbox, food, bed).

Give him a little while to settle down and calm down. Then start going in to feed him. Take his food in and sit on the floor nearby while eats it. Just talk to him softly and stroke him gently while he eats, and let him know that you are to be trusted. Always remain calm, and never get frustrated. Take some toys in and coax him to play. Don't give up. When he is o.k. with you, and not terrified anymore, you can start leaving the door open and let him come out on his own. Never force him to do anything.

There's no rush, and all it takes is time. He will learn to trust you, and will bond with you, but could always be shy with other people.
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

Definitely don't panick, my vet told me when I decided to introduce Buddy that it could take up to 6 months or more for a cat to get used to a new-comer! With both of yours being so young, it shouldn't take that long... just be patient and know that this is completely normal!
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM

My poor cats have been forced to live with other cats. They didn't like the new comers at first, but after a little time, they adjusted to each other and now even go as far as to sleep with eachother. It was so bad one morning that I found blood all over the kitchen table and chairs. All of the cats turned out to be ok. They had there one good fight but now know how to live with eachother. Its amazing how they can be so mean to eachother, and then given a little time they learn to like eachother. Just be patient. If this Website has taught me anything, it is patients.
GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I had a foster family of 8 here (5 gone yesterday!) and we have decided to adopt two of them. My 9 yr old neutered Tom loves them. I am quite sure this is due in part to the fact he has been able to smell them under the door to their room for 2 months. He wasn't inundated with kitten jumping and hijinx right away and now he just LOVES them. So gradual introduction, which I've only read about in the past really has been the key in our introduction in my opinion.
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Kitty Mum

I just added a new member to my fur family as well. Making this number three - he is pictured above. He is only two months where as my other two are 2 and 12. I got Jesse (12) and Fidel (2) from a shelter at the same time 2 years ago. They have loved each other from the very beginning - although Jess will let him know who is in charge at times, but lovingly. I was soooo worried when I got my new kitten (yet to be named) because the other 2 are really fantastic - I thought I would be causing an uproar and playing with fate a little to closely. I thought for sure I was going to cause an unbalance just because I was bringing in such a big change. Cats feel change at such an intense level. Jesse took on the role of Dad really well and Fidel hid and was scared of something 10X smaller than him. Fidel only came out at night to get some food and water and have a washroom break. The next day he came out a little bit more and sniffed at him and hissed a little - the kitten was scared but I knew that he was just being a big baby and completely harmless. The third day he started babysitting the little one! Following him everywhere and now they play! The funny thing is that once Fidel started feeling fine Jesse was put out. He became pretty depressed and just lied around in our dining room. Jesse was a special needs cat when he first came to our home and was used to constant attention from me. He is my big baby and is very attached to me. I realized that he was upset and decided to tell my husband that the baby cat did not require all of my attention right now and that he needed to spend the entire night with him and I needed to spend mine with Jesse. I spent all night with Jesse doing all of his favourite things and, besides having a bit of the stomach flu this weekend, now he is running around and they are all playing together.

I know this is long but I just wanted to let you know my recent experience in hopes that it would make you feel better. Cats feel change more so than we do and it takes time. Some longer than others. You just need to divide your attention and give it to both of them equally and maybe it will help make them feel less stressed. You may already be doing that but do not give up. If they need to be seperated for a little bit then give that a try.

I would put the little one in the living room with all of his toys, litter, etc... During the day when I would go out instead of leaving them alone together. This seemed to help because they had a few hours to get used to the extra scent.

As for the whole food situation. The kitten was probably scared and excited. Mine did not eat for the whole first day either - it is completely normal.

What is his/her special need?